Thought For the Day

Started by pioneergal(Guest), April 06, 2006, 04:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Go to the first century BC and the tiny kingdom of Phrygia. There was a philosopher by the name of Epictetus and it was Epictetus who said

"Appearances are of four kinds: things either are as they appear to be; or they neither are nor appear to be; or they are but do not appear to be; or they are not and yet appear to be."

Sassy

Einstein said the following:

"We have not only lost our humanity, we have lost our humility, an accurate perception of our relationship to God and the other people who inhabit an increasingly contaminated earth. "Since the advent of the Nuclear Age, everything has changed but the way people think, thus, we drift towards unparalleled catastrophe." Albert Einstein

THE ONE WORLD ORDER: WEAPONS OF MASS INHUMANITY

Sassy

President Woodrow Wilson: "Some of the biggest men in the U. S., in the field of commerce and manufacturing, are afraid of somebody, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it."

President Franklin Roosevelt: "The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the larger centers has owned the Government ever since the days of Andrew Jackson...

"There does exist, and has existed for a generation, an international Anglophile network which operates, to some extent in the way the radical Right believes the Communists act. In fact, this network, which we may identify as the Round Table Groups, has no aversion to cooperating with the Communists, or any other groups, and frequently does so. I know of the operation of this network because I have studied it for twenty years, and was permitted for two years, in the early 1960s, to examine its papers and secret records.... In general my chief difference of opinion is that it wishes to remain unknown...." Carroll Quigley Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

benevolance

Sort of like that group of crusty old guys that supposedly controlled the world in the X files....And Cigarette Smoking man was their patsy...

;D

Sassy

Great reading to go with your morning cup of coffee  :) go to www.archives.gov for the rest...

The Declaration of Independence: A Transcription

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
   He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
   He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
   He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
   He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
   He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
   He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
   He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
   He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
   He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
   He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
   He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
   He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
   For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
   For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
   For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
   For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
   For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
   For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
   For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
   For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
   For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to l

Amanda_931

Back some years ago--might even have been a lot, like 1976 back in the last century--somebody read that first paragraph of the Declaration of Independence to semi-random people--possibly those visiting the Liberty Bell--asked their opinion--almost all said it was treason, at least until they were told it was our declaration of independence, and we meant it.  

I occasionally ask people if we should petition Great Britain to become part of the British Empire again.

And I really don't know why they look at me strangely.

glenn kangiser

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."  -Teddy Roosevelt
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

"Never be haughty to the humble or humble to the haughty." -- President Jefferson Davis, CSA

I read this on another site today.  It is another version of how I deal with project managers, inspectors etc. on my various jobs and in day to day dealings.  My version is I treat them the way they treat me -- however I usually try to top them - especially the ones with an attitude.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

"Politicians & diapers- Both need to be changed often, & for the same reason..."

Amanda_931

I've been trying to keep the tone all upbeat and suitable for writing in odd places in your new house, but I couldn't resist this one.

Quote"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
~ Anonymous

glenn-k

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did, in his sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car. "

From the diesel truck forum - I thought it was cute --  :-/

jraabe

"Man invented language in order to satisfy his deep need to complain."

Lilly Tomlin

glenn-k

If it wasn't already invented, I'd probably have had to do it. :-/

harry51

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

The first clause of this quote describes perfectly the TV commercials against California's Prop.90 (eminent domain reform) on the recent ballot.

It was very illuminating to read the letter to the editor in the local paper, parroting the lies against the measure, that was signed by a county supervisor, the county sheriff, and several prominent citizens. Their rationale was that the pending county general plan update, which in effect makes most all property development rights subject to the sole discretion of the planning director, would likely cause the county to be sued for takings if Prop. 90 passed. Then the money that's been spent on the consultants and staff time that concocted the proposed update would have to be spent again, just to create one that considered individual property rights instead of concentrating on bureaucratic prerogative. What a shame that would be!

The painful truth is that Prop. 90 failed statewide by about 311,000 votes, 200,000 of which were cast in Los Angeles county. Most of the rest of the vote deficit came from the S.F. Bay area, and minor shortfalls came in just a few small counties, like Mariposa county, where it failed by about 400 votes.

It's really a travesty in my view that there are no apparent consequences for the perpetrators of what is arguably election fraud, and what's worse, that the lies and deceit apparently worked!

End of tirade.

Best,
Harry

glenn-k

QuoteFreedom, in the political sense, means exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action and the condition of being free of restraints. You are born free unless, and until, you choose not to be free by voluntarily accepting such restraints or by allowing such restraints to be imposed on you. Whether you actually choose to accept the restraints, choose not to oppose such restraints, or choose to believe such restraints are not optional, you have given up your natural born freedom and consented to be bound by the rule of the government; i.e. bondage to a master; i.e. a slave. If you did not consent, you would be free (dead or alive).

I like it.

From here http://www.wealth4freedom.com/free.html

glenn-k

sjreese on 18.12.2006 [21:46 ]         
"... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one MAKES them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ......just pass the the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted — and you create a nation of law-breakers — and then you cash in on guilt

lodestar

Glenn mentioned the teach a man to fish line, earlier...

Here's another take on it...

Give a man a fish and he eats for today...but teach a man to fish and you can sell him line, a pole, bait, tackle, a new boat, 155 hp engine, trailer, SUV, insurance, hospitalization...medication...

Yule Tidings to all of you...we're celebrating Friday evening...just Cheryl and me...and the kittens.  Bbq, fire...forecast calls for a light snow.  We'll play music and crack a few beers.

Love to all...and may there be peace on your homes, and on earth.

glenn-k

That is true - Bruce -- and Festivus always brings to mind that it is the time of year to shop until you drop. :)

Always nice to hear from you, Bruce when you come up out of your cozy hideaway to say hi. :)

Sassy

"For in a Republic, who is 'the country?' Is it the Government which is for the
moment in the saddle? Why, the Government is merely a servant -- merely a
temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and
what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to
obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens]
(1835-1910)

peg_688

We "have to think " again today >:( Jessh my brain gonna hurt , again ;D

glenn-k

That's good for ya' PEG -- It'll keep it from freezing up.

Sassy

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and
Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems
to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions." :

Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1787

"...There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. ...
Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the
inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their
carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger. I
fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and
fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the
dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." :

Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact
amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will
continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits
of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." :

Frederick Douglass

MountainDon

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop." - P. J. O'Rourke

glenn-k

QuoteAnd in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop." - P. J. O'Rourke

As regards to Lincoln, I hope in the end I never have to retire.  I want to keep on living an active life up to the last day so that I always have something more exciting to talk about than the problems I had with my last bowel movement. :-/

As to where all those bowel movements go -- we all know that all of them end up in Washington DC. :)