Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on Yesterday at 05:54:53 AM »
Tutorial 24 - Custom Libraries (17:49 min.)

https://youtu.be/FFLdHyq2cnY

A brief introduction and explanation of the custom header, beam, column and post libraries within the global settings.
« Last post by Medeek on December 05, 2021, 11:27:12 AM »
Version 2.5.6 - 12.05.2021
- Added a "Posts" tab into the Global Settings.
- Added a Custom Post Library/Manager in the Posts tab of the Global Settings.
- Enabled custom sizes for Sawn Lumber, Timber and SCL(PSL,LSL,LVL) posts.

This should complete the custom libraries for beams, headers, column and posts.
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
« Last post by Medeek on November 30, 2021, 07:22:51 AM »
Version 3.0.6 - 11.30.2021
- Added ceiling gypsum to shed and shed w/ ledger rafter roofs.
- Enabled ceiling gypsum for all shed rafter roofs with ceiling joists enabled.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x30 in NE Wisconsin
« Last post by Nate R on November 29, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »
I've been so swamped with working on things this fall that I've been behind on keeping track of what I get done when, and taking pictures, etc. Just trucking along whenever I can. A short list of what's been done:

Got the exterior T&G soffits stained and installed.

T&G porch ceiling stained and installed. (After exchanging bad material for good.)

Framed interior wall for bedroom separation. Decided to NOT frame a separate enclosed entry area.

Electrical wiring cleaned up/added onto a bit for more lights, moved some receptacles, etc.

Wood stove hearth tile installed and grouted.

Wood stove and chimney installed and in use.

Installed a 3000W electric wall heater.

Soffit baffles installed.

Skylight tunnel framed out and foamed.

Got rid of the camper, started sleeping IN the cabin! :)

Started installing insulation.

Rented a Uhaul truck and brought up some furniture, fridge, etc.

Bought 2 dual-sport motorcycles, one for the wife and guests, and one for me. :)

More later! Hoping to complete the main insulation this weekend, and start on the R4 XPS foam that will go on the ceiling between the trusses and the drywall. Once I finish the wall insulation this weekend, I should be able to keep it quite warm, and  get some more work done this winter. :)
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x30 in NE Wisconsin
« Last post by Nate R on November 29, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »
Oh that will be cool on all the temp stuff. We have a weather station that also allows us to keep track of indoor temp while we're not home. It's also really cool to watch the temp spike and decay from making a fire in the woodstove.

I read some Canadian research a few years ago that soil typically "freeze locks" at only a little below freezing, which interestingly ties in with how acorns, chestnuts and other nuts that only survive to ~26F manage to germinate in areas where winter air temperatures reach -20F or colder. (One of my hobbies)

Yeah, I've been intrigued by the data so far.   

The last 2 winters here, soil didn't really drop below 31 degrees at 6" depth.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Last post by OlJarhead on November 28, 2021, 07:15:51 AM »
Ok!  So after fixing the above (Ridge Cap) that I'd left improperly affixed I now know that I don't HAVE to go back up and fix anything now :D  However I am contemplating sending another young buck up to remove the entire ridge cap, place some hardware cloth and then fix it all back down again.  Just to prevent rodents from getting in there again.

I also added an insane 4 1/2 gallons of hydraulic fluid to the tractor and parked it up hill to prevent it from dripping (seems to have worked).  It appears to have a rear seal leak that is allowing the fluid to run to the front of the drive train and leak out of the skids....darn it!  So, next spring I need to haul it to the tractor shop and bite the bullet on getting it fixed (4wd also doesn't work)....that's going to hurt!

Last thing I did while there was to fix a piece of flashing under the roof above the stairs to the porch.  It's been a pain as the melting snow drops to the 2nd to last stair and causes it to become so covered in ice that it's nearly impassable!  So, having realized that not having a gutter isn't as much an issue as I thought, I just fixed some flashing under the drip line and set it on a steep enough angle to allow the water to run off to one side and not onto the step!  DOH!  Wish I'd done that years ago LOL

So, now it's time to make paneling that I can haul back up there on top of my jeep (hmmmm there's a picture).....at least that's the plan.

Wish me luck!
« Last post by Medeek on November 27, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
Version 2.5.5 - 11.27.2021
- Updated the SSW draw menu with an HTML menu.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Last post by OlJarhead on November 26, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »

Well that was an adventure!
« Last post by Medeek on November 26, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »
Version 2.5.4 - 11.26.2021
- Improved the organization of the HTML draw and edit menus for rectangular walls.
« Last post by Medeek on November 24, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »
Note: To call the wall_regen method:
Code: [Select]
Medeek_Engineering_Inc_Extensions::MedeekWallPlugin::Wall::MedeekMethods.wall_regen entitywhere the entity is the Medeek wall group.

The column update required modifying at least 10 files and took about five days of concerted effort, some of it quite tedious and I will say boring, but yeah, it is always worth it. Basically an entire rewrite of the in-wall column module, a lot of the code under the hood was reviewed and updated to bring it up to speed with the highly efficient beam module. Now all of the menus are HTML as well.

The addition of the API took all of 15 minutes to add.

The wall justification was only about another 1.5 hours of work.

Mostly it was me deciding whether it would muddy the waters too much to go from three options to four (front, center back → front, center, back, sheathing). You will notice that when you use the draw wall tool now it will show a small text near the wall length dimension letting you know which justification mode that you are in. The placement and the size of this specific text may yet require some fine tuning, I want that information to be available to the user but I don’t want it to be so obtrusive that it is annoyingly so. Feedback required…
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10