What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Is your wife's mom OK?  

Hope so.  

I asked about the trees because of the solar discussion and the fact that we have some little solar lights in the front yard and three of them work great in the winter because they actually get less shade than in the summer because they're in the shade of the big maple.  However, the fourth one does OK in summer but gets the shade of the spruce tree more in the winter...doesn't charge enough to put off light for more than half an hour or so after sunset.  Should probably relocate it, but have been too lazy.

glenn-k

Last night was an 8" diameter 1 1/2 lb hamburger fried with dried onion slices sprinkled to cover both sides and some salt -- then smothered in ketchup --  I saved part of it for breakfast. After that I had a bunch of A\lmond Praline ice cream.  Sassy's working so I get to cook for myself.

She also provides me with some frozen meals so I had The Man Handler -- Salisbury Steak with mushrooms, mashed taters, green beans and a brownie.  Worked on the Bobcat all day so I needed the nuked meal. :)  What's for desert ... hmmm --- How about Ice Cream. :)

Homegrown_Tomatoes

OK, time to hit the sack... my eyes are getting tired because I just read that as "naked meal" instead of "nuked meal" and had to try to figure out if that had anything to do with the naked chef that I've heard about (he had his own cooking show in... was it England??)  And then I thought of the nudist joke and the discussion following... well, all that and then I realized I'd misread it.  Don't know what I did with my glasses.  

MountainDon

QuoteIs your wife's mom OK?  
yes/no

She fell 10 days ago or so. Didn't break anything luckily. Even had an MRI as well as regular X-rays looking for cause of all her pain. Nothing showing. She lives in a retirement community; her own apartment. There's also an assisted living wing and a heath care (nursing home) wing. She's been in Assisted Living since a couple days after the fall, but not getting better, high level of pain, and she's being as ornery and uncooperative as a two year old to boot. Karen went over and spent about 6 hours with her seeing how things are first hand.

Re: the solar. I've order a 15 watt panel and a small controller and am going to see if that helps keep the old batteries charge up. Sitting there doing nothing for a week or so at a time they self discharge too much. For $116 it's worth a try.

glenn-k

QuoteOK, time to hit the sack... my eyes are getting tired because I just read that as "naked meal" instead of "nuked meal" and had to try to figure out if that had anything to do with the naked chef that I've heard about (he had his own cooking show in... was it England??)  And then I thought of the nudist joke and the discussion following... well, all that and then I realized I'd misread it.  Don't know what I did with my glasses.  

;D ;D ;D

I forgot to turn the video off on my computer I guess.  Worked on the Bobcat then moved about 30 yards of dirt -and dust -- then hit the shower so I could eat without getting dirt all over -- then cooked dinner.  But I did have my cowboy boots on.  :o ;D

glenn-k

It may work just fine, Don.  

We have one on the D8 at Mike's and it stays charged quite well.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Glenn  ::) good grief.

Don, if MIL is still hurting, maybe y'all should try to take her to see a chiropractor.   She may not have broken anything, but she may have gotten joggled around enough to still be hurting.  Back in May, I was helping an elderly woman in her garden.  She'd had a stroke a few years back and has to use a walker ever since and just hates not being able to work in her garden.  I was pulling weeds and looked up to see her pulling buckbrush out from under a lilac bush on a steep slope.  I jumped up and ran toward her, but not before she got off balance and somersaulted right down the hill under the lilac.  Her caretaker is also getting on up there in years and has a difficult time walking, and so it was really a struggle for the two of us to get her upright again and  get her seated back on her walker.  She kept insisting she was alright, but you could tell she wasn't.  Her caretaker took her to the chiro and that helped some, but a week later she was still complaining of pain in her shoulder, and when the caretaker finally convinced her to go to the doctor, she'd fractured her shoulder in the fall.  She is a tall big-boned lady and I thought we'd never get her up and back to the house with just the two of us... and she was adamant that she was OK and iddn't need an ambulance.  Tough old cookie.  Unfortunately, I think the greatest loss to her was her confidence. :(

glenn-k

Sorry, Homegrown.  I suppose you are wondering why I had cowboy boots on and forgot to tell you. :-?

I guess it slipped my mind. :)

Homegrown_Tomatoes

glenn-k

Hmmm, not biting. :-?

Good morning, Homegrown.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

We're having pumpkin and chicken porridge tonight.  Heater is NOT kicking in when it should.  Turned the thermostat up to 80 and it still ain't happening.  I lit a fire in the fireplace and lit every candle and oil lamp we've got, and that's taking some of the chill off a little bit.  I'm throwing some frozen veggies in with the porridge just for a little variety.  Earlier you could just about see your breath in here it was so cold.  My nose and cheeks are all red and my fingers are numb.  I don't know how the kids can stand it... I tried to get them to put shoes on but they're still running around on bare feet (no socks even!!!)  It's supposed to be 25 tonight... so, I hope we can just take it apart, vacuum it out and dust it and it's going to miraculously fire up.

MountainDon

QuoteWe're having pumpkin and chicken porridge tonight.  
That's a combo I'd never would have thought of.

G/L with the heat.   :'(  BRRRR, I get shivers just thinking about not having heat.

Re: MIL. I never thought of the chiropractor; I've never been to one. Never had a need, knock wood.  ;)  I suggested it. We'll see what the nursing staff think as well. DW's over there now.

Making another pasta bake. Rotini, 50-50 regular and whole wheat. Some home made meat sauce, frozen, previously made... ground turkey, onions, garlic, other stuff I forget.  :-/  Cheeses; Ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, romano, egg, pepper, italian seasoning; all mixed and spread on top. Bake till bubbly and browning. Oh yeah, some chopped spinach between the pasta and meat sauce layer and the cheese on top.

MountainDon

When contemplating seafood for the menu, you may want to this into consideration...

Some seafood is naturally low in mercury and is safer to eat.
When buying seafood, chose:
    :-/ Clams  
    :bhumbsup Wild Alaskan Salmon  
    :bhumbsup Shrimp  
    :bhumbsup Sardines  
    :bhumbsup Crabs  
    :bhumbsup Scallops

Some seafood is high in mercury and PCBs:
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Chilean Sea Bass
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Grouper
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Marlin
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Orange Roughy
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Rockfish
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Atlantic salmon (farmed)

The EPA and FDA list four fish that should never be eaten:
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Tilefish
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Shark
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] King Mackerel
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Swordfish

No mention of Cod   :-/

Homegrown_Tomatoes

The porridge turned out pretty good... I made some dumplings to go on top, but don't have any bisquick so I had to make them the old fashioned way.  It was tasty and filling.  

The heater is working again... I think DH threatened it with a sledge hammer or something. :-?  I'm still so frozen though that I haven't warmed back up.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Re: the chiropractor... I'd never been to one until after my first daughter was born.  She was sleeping through the night by 7-8 weeks, but I wasn't because I was in constant pain (I've done so many dumb things to injure my back I'm not sure what really caused the issue, but having a baby seemed to worsen it.)  My regular doctor told me to take Tylenol... which of course, didn't work to fix the cause.  By the time she was 8 months old, I barely slept at all and spent most of the night tossing around trying to get comfortable.  We were in Tulsa one day and there was a lady with a booth set up and a thing to compare the curvature of your spine with a normal spine curvature... well, mine was so far off it wasn't even funny.  They were offering  free x-rays and initial adjustment, and at that point I thought, "Hey, it couldn't make it any worse!"  So, I made an appointment and went in for my x-ray and adjustment.  The first time the doc adjusted my back, he started warning me to ice it when I got home and that I would probably be sore, etc.  Well, the second he adjusted my back and neck I took the first deep breaths I'd taken in months and immediately felt better.  He called me at home that night to check on how I was doing and I told him I felt GREAT.  I went to bed that night and slept 8 hours without ever waking.  Anyway, I continued to see him during my second pregnancy and couldn't believe the difference it made.  With my second pregnancy, I never had sciatic nerve pain or neck pain or anything like that...in fact, I didn't even realize I was having contractions in my third trimester because I felt so great.  It made a world of difference and I never would have believed it without trying it.  I still go to a chiropractor from time to time here in WI, but I don't think he's quite as good as the old guy in Tulsa... guess it just depends on who you find.  Both of them are good, but the one in OK was a little gentler yet more effective.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

QuoteWhen contemplating seafood for the menu, you may want to this into consideration...

Some seafood is naturally low in mercury and is safer to eat.
When buying seafood, chose:
    :-/ Clams  
    :bhumbsup Wild Alaskan Salmon  
    :bhumbsup Shrimp  
    :bhumbsup Sardines  
    :bhumbsup Crabs  
    :bhumbsup Scallops

Some seafood is high in mercury and PCBs:
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Chilean Sea Bass
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Grouper
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Marlin
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Orange Roughy
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Rockfish
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Atlantic salmon (farmed)

The EPA and FDA list four fish that should never be eaten:
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Tilefish
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Shark
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] King Mackerel
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] Swordfish

No mention of Cod   :-/

Any mention of anchovies?  I would think they're in the same class as sardines...  the only one on the "never" list I've ever eaten is mackerel... never tasted the others.  Also no mention of things that are gaining in popularity like tilapia?  As for Cod, I don't think it is really fish :D It has no flavor unless you season it like crazy.

Homegrown_Tomatoes

I'll have to look up pictures of some of these to see if I've ever eaten them in Korea... I ate a lot of really ugly fish there, but some were really tasty.  My kids both LOVE fried dried anchovies... they would pick them over candy any day.  

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Found an interesting site just now looking for the names of some of the fish I've eaten in Korea.  It is a fish wholesaler in Korea that markets to the US and Japan.  The one I remember being so ugly is the called a blackmouth goosefish... the lady at the fish market in Korea used to assure me they were really delicious, but if I ever ate one, I didn't know it.  Anyway, most of these fish are ones you won't see for sale in the US... some are really tasty, like the croaker.
http://www.zagalchi.co.kr/zagal/ezagal.html

MountainDon

Apparently there are King Mackerel and then there are less royal, more common mackerel.  ;D ;D  I don't know if the type matters; but I've never knowingly eaten one.  :-/

Tilapia are farm raised and could be susceptible to pollutants that might get into their water. No idea if that's a concern. That is the reason farm raised Atlantic Salmon is on the no-no list, IIRC.

Cod tastes great when deep fried in batter, as in English Fish 'n' Chips (french fries to the uninitiated.) And the chips are served with salt and vinegar (cider vinegar is best). I haven't had a deep fried anything in years... those sure were great though. After quaffing a few pints at the pub a stop by the local fish 'n' chip shop was a real treat to the end of an evening.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
making me hungry.....

glenn-k

What about Holy Mackerel? :-?

Currently at this magic moment, it is 69.3 degrees outside.  May have to start the fire, Homegrown.  I actually feel sorry for you. :'(  Glad the heater is running.  Thanks for the tip on how engineers fix things. ;D

Sassy

Well, last winter in our house in the valley, the heater was broken - I did have one in the bedroom - but we had 2 weeks of 22 degree temps when I would drive home from work at midnight or later - I'd lay in the bed shivering for a couple hours even though I had a couple down quilts on.  This year I said I was getting a heater for the house, I can't take that much cold!  

Up here in the cabin we seldom put a fire in the wood stove in the bedroom - but we stay warm enough...  :)

Once you get that chilled, Homegrown, it's hard to warm up - it helps now that I have frequent hot flashes  :-/ ;D

Sassy

Oh, were we talking about "what's for dinner?"  I just got back up to the underground cabin - had to make a quick dinner so boiled some organic whole wheat pasta, drained it & set aside.  Cooked mushroom soup, onions, celery, green peppers together, added tuna & then put the pasta in & mixed it all together.  I've always liked tuna casserole, although I guess a lot of people don't because it's always talked about kinda derogatorily...   but I like it  :)

One of the doctors I work with has a wife from Columbia - she & their daughter love chicken feet!  :P  Every year they take a month & travel someplace - I think this past year they went to Vietnam or Cambodia - don't remember which.  They said the people there were really friendly.

MountainDon

I like tuna casserole!  :) Make room for me.  ;)

glenn-k

You are always welcome at our table, Don.  Call and we'll have dinner ready when you get here. :)

MountainDon

QuoteYou are always welcome at our table, Don.  Call and we'll have dinner ready when you get here. :)
Dittos.

I'll eat darn near anything that doesn't move on it's own or smell bad.  :)