Plan Changes

Started by Branko, February 27, 2006, 04:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branko

I have several questions, I received my plans for the 20x34 cottage today. My wife is wanting to extend the side walls out to 24' and the back wall out to 36'. My question is can the post down stairs be relocated? Would a second post need to be added for the girder to support the second floor? We are wanting to use the crawl space plans but she does not want to block the enitre perimeter of the house in. Can normal 8x16x8 block work for the foundation piers?
Branko

jraabe

It sounds like you're considering some serious plan modifications and will be needing some local help and probably an engineering review. The post location can be changed and the plans widened but the loads on the beams and posts will change and you will need to check the joist and rafter sizes for the longer spans. Not rocket science but you do want to make sure everything will be solid and kosher for your local loads.

I would suggest you do a tracing overlay of the floorplan layout you want and any changes you propose on other drawings and then review this with a local designer or engineer. This will cost more money, of course, but you will save a great deal over starting a new design from scratch.

Lots of builders construct piers out of concrete block. The best way is lay them up in such a way as to have the cores interlock and end up with a 16x16 column.

Branko

Thank you for your help John. My wife like all wifes changed her mind again. We are going to build as is. The only change that she is set on is the concrete block piers for the open look under the house. How would you suggest to make the 16x16 pier wall?
Branko

jraabe

Check it out locally with a concrete guy but the one I was suggesting was 2 8x16 blocks laid NS on one course and EW on the next. Then a rebar is gouted into the cores as it is laid up.

Also check on block piers in this guide I wrote a couple of years ago. Couple of suggestions there. Lots of ways to do this.

http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

Branko

Thank you for your help just one last question I for now. Would I have to set the piers closer for the anchor bolts? I read that they are not supposed to be any furthurer apart than 6 feet.
Branko

jraabe

Anchor bolt placement is for the sill plate of a stem wall foundation. Doesn't apply to piers (but the brackets serve a similar purpose.)