What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Think I'm going to show up at muldoon's for dinner! ::)

We had samgyetang (Korean chicken ginseng soup) last night.  I stuck it in the pot before we left for church so the chicken was falling off the bone by the time we got home.  It was pretty tasty.  Even with four of us eating, there was enough leftover to make DH a couple of lunches to take to work this week.

Night before last, we ended up eating out at a Korean restaurant.  I had Wugujikuk, which is sort of comfort food... in Korea, it is usually something you'd eat at home.  Basically it is soup made with radish greens, bean sprouts, and hot and spicy beef broth.  Cheap, healthy, and tasty.

I am about sick of Korean food for the week, so we're grilling filets outside tonight, and I'll make a salad or slaw to go with it. 

Sassy

Yummm, that really does look good, Muldoon!  I think I'll join HG & come over for dinner too!  Your pics make it too inviting.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight it is grilled salmon.  Whatever else is cooked (if anything) will have to be cooked on the grill.  It's going to be over 100 degrees again today.

MountainDon

I love Salmon; grilled, baked, whatever. And by strange coincidence that is exactly what we had to night. Grilled Salmon with a shared baked potato and grilled corn on the cob that we bought in Los Alamos this morning.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, I have a confession to make... I saved the salmon for tonight.  I haven't bought a pair of shoes in about three years and was in bad need of a new pair of tennis shoes.  My old ones were holey and pathetic-looking, so when DH came home from work yesterday and asked if I was finally ready to buy a new pair (I resist shoe-shopping like the plague because I'd rather be barefoot) and I agreed that the pavement was getting rather hot.  It was also a good excuse to go enjoy someone else's AC.  So, en route to Sears, I saw a barbeque place and we decided to try it.  It was pretty good... they had a hot and spicy BBQ sauce that was pretty good (I don't think it had anything hotter than jalapenos in it, but it still tasted really good.)  I got brisket and okra and slaw.  DH had corn and slaw with his brisket.  The kids made pigs of themselves, too.  Washed it all down with a strong glass of iced tea and then was awake all night because I usually make decaf tea at home!  And, I finally got around to getting some new shoes, to boot.  So, we'll be having salmon tonight, which, incidentally, I really like, too.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Grilled fish, slaw, and either taters or bread...haven't decided which yet.

apaknad

speaking of grilled fish, yesterday i caught the biggest bass of my life. 23" and six pounds. it will go on the grill today w/ corn and taters. in michigan that is a whopper. :)
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Sounds like a decent sized one in my book.

muldoon

This is a multipart recipe.  I'll continue to add to this post as the recipe comes together. 
Step1: (2 weeks ago). 
add 2 cans whole kernel corn, 1/2 cup milk, 1 raspberry jello packet, 1 beer, 1 packet yeast.  set in sun for 3 days until "ripe".  yumm
Step2: (that next weekend)
Take the bait from above.  bury in some soft dirt where hogs are present in the area.  Dont get any on your hands or shovel, it stinks. 
Step3:
yup, 00buck does it again. 
Step4 comes tomorrow morning, on the smoker. 

glenn kangiser

How may feet or yards on the 00buck, muldoon? hmm

Tonight its left over barbecued steak, barbecued chicken and barbecued sweet potatoes along with potato salad with added Miracle Whip and Mustard.  [hungry]

Spike likes to sit by my feet and look at me when I eat.  I lay food on my leg and he gulps it down.

I gave him a small piece of steak - gulp - gone

I gave him a small piece of chicken - gulp - gone

A big mosquito hawk like bug flew by me - I caught it - put it on my leg - gulp -gone.... and he sits there licking his lips.

:)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Could you eat and not share with this little guy? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

muldoon

cute pup, I'd share with the pitiful fella. 

QuoteHow may feet or yards on the 00buck, muldoon? -
from about 30 yards.  As I was walking, it was about the time they noticed and started grunting.  close enough for me.

The meats ready to go on now, 2 shoulders and 2 hams. 

I also have the fire going now, still building up a bit.  I dont use any fire starter or any other chemicals for fire.  Its a slow process for me, a few paper towels soaked in corn oil.  light it put one or two charcoals on top.  Keep adding more on top in a pyramid without killing the fire.  It takes about 30 minutes to get it good and going, but once its there its the best fire. 

glenn kangiser

Cool - that 00 is pretty effective.

A propane weed burner will light that fire in about 30 seconds, muldoon with no gassy aftertaste. :)

We use it for lighting oak in the barbecue.  We call it the ceremonial lighting of the barbecue.  Sounds like a jet taking off with about a 3 foot x 2 foot dia. flame.

Spike gets worried that he won't get his share and gets his lips stuck in his mouth when he licks them.   Sometimes the side lips too.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Spike looks like he's pouting a little in that picture... pretty persuasively, I might add.

We had grilled chicken with hot peanut sauce, salad, leftover biscuits from breakfast, and fresh peaches for dinner, so don't think we'll be needing supper tonight.

glenn kangiser

He is really a clown.  His eye operations went well but he still has a little excess fold under each eye -- he gets a slight bit teary eyed once in a while but not the infections or scratched eyeballs like he used to get.  He can look quite pitiful when he tries.

I don't know what's for dinner yet but probably more of the same til it's gone.

I had Chocolate Mint Truffle Ice Cream for lunch break.  Actually worked a bit today.

apaknad

hey muldoon,

try  a fire chimney, they work great. no chemicals, just a couple of pieces of crumpled newapaper or whatever and you can light quite a number of briquets in a short period of time.

muldoon

Cooked over hickory the entire time, the hickory comes from a park in Austin where a limb was dead and down.  We just couldnt leave without it (even though my wife was "frustrated with me" over it)  :) 

Two shoulders and two hams, dry rubbed and ready for action

Heres the halfway, they were at 150 internal when I wrapped them.  They finished at 185 after 10 hours total cook time around 235 degrees. 

All I can say is that they were awesome.  Still have lots leftovers too, gonna make a smokin pot of beans with some of these in a few months.

apaknad - I have heard good things about them.  Am going to check it out sooner or later. 

Redoverfarm

muldoon almost exactly what I had last night. Two of the local farmers put on shoulders/hams both pork and lamb at the livestock sale/show. I got there at 8:00 AM and they just put the meat in. Then supper was at 5:30 P.M.  They used a smoke cooker.  Probably did 5 of each variety.  Supper was a paid affair but at $6 per it was well worth it.  Baked beans, coleslaw, Potato salad and a drink.  Only one small pan of scraps at the end. And the cooker was made in Texas as the vent for the firebox was cut in the shape of the state.  It belonged to another local who spent time there so I guess he picked it up while living there and hauled it back.     

Sassy

"Cooked over hickory the entire time, the hickory comes from a park in Austin where a limb was dead and down.  We just couldnt leave without it (even though my wife was "frustrated with me" over it)"

rofl  I can identify with her  ::)

The pork looks delicious! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

StinkerBell

Dinner to night is fresh homemade bread and thick bacon. Bacon sandwiches.

muldoon

Quote from: StinkerBell on August 24, 2008, 06:07:49 PM
Dinner to night is fresh homemade bread and thick bacon. Bacon sandwiches.

Yum.  I love homemade bread too, do you use a machine or do it by hand?  I have been thinking about getting a machine, anyone have any ideas on who makes a good one?  By "good" I tend to mean it will last forever and not so much on the bells and whistles. 

apaknad

i bought a cheap one and it lasted for years. finally sold it for $5 in a yard sale. made very good bread. i think you could get a cheaper one and find out if you like doing this. i will get another one and move up on quality but i do not think the $79 i spent was wasted. i made hundreds of loaves of bread with it and the quality can be very high( i screwed up some loaves while experimenting but that was half the fun of it).

dan

StinkerBell

I do not have a bread machine, but I do have an electrolux mixer that helps with the initial mixing of the flour and ingredients.

I make baguettes, the peasant bread recipe is almost dead on to my baguette recipe.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I had a bread maker that was given to me by my grandma who wanted a fancier one because she had a lot of "oops" breads from it.  I was OK and seemed to work alright, and the bread smelled heavenly cooking in it.  However, I gave it away on freecycle because:  1) It was heavy and huge and hard to store in my tiny kitchen in Wisconsin, 2) I sometimes like to knead the bread by hand as it is a great way to take out your frustrations on something you can't really harm, and 3) it was just as fast, and much simpler, to use my vitamix to grind the grain, knead the dough, etc, and then just finish the process the same as you would for any bread in the oven, and it still smelled every bit as good as the breadmaker. 

StinkerBell

I have yet to make bread in my vitamix.