What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Yeah for the Mayo. My mom raised me on salad dressing.  Once out I would rather fight than switch back.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on March 26, 2008, 11:35:43 AM
cookies and icecream sound like they'd be messier than the average BBQ sandwich, Glenn.

I meant I had cookies and Ice Cream after the sandwich.  Not on it.   I guess you got me there. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

I'm with HG - don't really like either... when I make tuna sandwiches I use celery, grated carrots & sweet pickle relish (I changed to that because that's what DH likes, although I usually put some dill pickle in it) I have to put a lot of Miracle Whip on Glenn's sandwich - don't put any on mine.  Deviled eggs I use a lot of mustard...  when I order hamburgers, I have them hold the mayo or sauce & ask for double veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions etc) 

Was raised with Best Foods Mayo - had a friend when I was a freshman in HS who used the Miracle Whip - I insisted that my mom buy Miracle Whip - she finally did & I then wouldn't eat it...   ::)  :P 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Quotewhen I order hamburgers, I have them hold the mayo or sauce & ask for double veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions etc)

...and it totally drives me crazy when we go to a fast food place and she does that --- most of them just plain can't handle it-- it's not in their training.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, around here, everyone knows a good burger has mustard, onions, lettuce, dill pickle and tomato on it, but it seems like a lot of other places put mayo on it if you don't tell them any different.  The whole time we lived up north, I had the hardest time ordering  a burger because they just couldn't seem to understand that I wanted all the veggies still, but with mustard.  Half the time I'd get a burger with nothing on it!  The really crazy thing is that my husband is the foreigner, yet 9 times out of 10, it was my order that would come back wrong.  He thought it was a riot that they could understand his accent and couldn't understand mine.

MountainDon

We don't generally dine out on burgers. Actually we don't dine out a lot at all. Mostly we grill our own burgers at home. Mayo was never meant for burgers. Never. Ketchup, mustard okay.

But if we do eat burgers out we avoid the usual fast foods places. Red Robin would be our fave.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

These were mostly mom and pop places, not really fast food joints because we rarely if ever do places with drive-thrus.  (And even less likely to up north where nobody could understand me when we're having a face to face conversation... let alone hollering over an intercom.) 

???

And the funny thing is that I don't have a  heavy accent at all... after all, I taught conversational English.  I didn't want my students to sound like a bunch of foreign hicks.

Sassy

We seldom eat out, either...  about the only fast food place I'll order a hamburger at is In & Out...  but I don't like American cheese on my hamburger either - Glenn just orders the double double or the triple triple - I like to add my own mustard or ketchup...  Red Robin is good - I really like their hamburgers...  but haven't been there in ages... 

MountainDon

So after saying we seldom eat out.... we did tonight. K came up with some gift cards we had for Outback. It was okay, although maybe not having to do the cooking and clean up was the best part.   :-\ ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I only ate at Outback once, and it was years ago when a friend of mine was waiting tables there.  My steak was awful, and the wait was long, and when I told them that the steak had something wrong with it, they didn't do anything about it, so I never went back....

Speaking of steak, that is what we had leftovers of again tonight, along with salad.  Gosh, I'd love some ice cream, but I've gotten my sugar levels to behave for three full days now, so I have to be good.

glenn kangiser

I'll go eat some for you, Homey. heh

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thanks Glenn... hope it was a good flavor.

Tonight we're having grilled chicken and pineapple, and of course, a salad.

Sassy

Last night we had lasagna & fresh cauliflower from the garden (of course with cheese, Glenn has to have the cheese) I made a cake with a filling of pie cherries & some coconut - turned out good - we had vanilla ice cream with that - then DH had to have 2nds on the cake & ice cream - this time he had mint chocolate chip...   ::)

Homegrown Tomatoes

It all sounds good! :)  My uncle swears sugar free peach jello tastes good, but I'm not sure I really believe him....

I think I'm taking the kids out for lunch.... not sure where.  Mexican food is the only thing I know for sure I can eat without wasting colossal amounts of food or messing up my blood sugar, but I think the girls are getting tired of enchiladas and burritos when we do take a day to eat lunch out... trying to think of something different...

It's funny, ever since I stopped taking the medicine that was supposed to help my blood sugar stay down, it HAS stayed low... sometimes almost too much so.  Of course, I don't get to eat as much of a variety as I'd like, but as long as I eat several eggs a day, we're in business.  I'd love to have a pizza, but don't think it's going to happen. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Storming right now so it looks like I won't get to grill tonight.   :-\  Maybe leftovers from the church potluck yesterday?  We have coleslaw and fried chicken leftover, and I'm sure i could scrounge up something to go with it.

tanya

Sugar free jello is good, so is sugar free Reeses p-nut butter cups, and ice cream but I think they still have carbs.  I don't like sugar free stuff much but when I do find something that tastes OK I remember it.  Tongiht I am having Top Ramen noodles. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Grilled pork chops tonight, coleslaw, and toast.

MountainDon

Just about anything sugar free that I've tried has usually tasted okay but as soon as I finish it I get a funny aftertaste that lingers. Even if I am not aware that it is sugar free while eating I can tell.

Tonight: Scrambled eggs, home made turkey chili, salad.

NM_Shooter

Wife's working late. 

Sloppy joes, fried potato slices, Bush's beans, and to keep this healthy, a salad.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: MountainDon on April 01, 2008, 04:59:35 PM
Just about anything sugar free that I've tried has usually tasted okay but as soon as I finish it I get a funny aftertaste that lingers. Even if I am not aware that it is sugar free while eating I can tell.

Tonight: Scrambled eggs, home made turkey chili, salad.
I can taste the "aftertaste" even while I'm eating it... and stuff with aspartame also usually makes my stomach hurt.  I usually just try to avoid anything with sweeteners other than sugar, maple syrup, sorghum, or the like.  I made some of the sugar free jello today, but it's not set yet...

Redoverfarm

Artificial sweetner? Ugh.  I love iced tea. In fact other than water that's all that is drank in our house.  I will order Unsweetened tea if we go out and I add the sugar or in most cases just drink it without sugar.  The kids are a different story. Like Christmas order a soft drink.  But the little girl is slowly staying with water even when eating out.  But that is usually not always a good choice with the taste of Municiple water.

MountainDon

We drink water as the norm, iced tea with a dash of lemon, no sugar. Red wine, beer a little. One cup black coffee a day. Earl Gray hot tea (myself) for about 4 - 6 cups a day, no sugar.

Redoverfarm

Shoot Don I drink that much coffee before I get out of bed.  Usually take two cup thermos to cabin for Mid-morning break, Lunch and mid-day break with a little junk food. No sugar or cream in the coffee.  Don't worry about getting too much or the other.  Do try to eat fruit during the breaks.  Fruit is really high here now at the market.  But I learned to perfer Calf oranges over Fla. Bananas are $.65 #. I stop buying when they are over $.40.  Apples $1.99 #

MountainDon

I used to have my own Bunn coffee machine with an IV when I was with the bank.  :o ::)

Redoverfarm

Yes it seems office work is the worst when it comes to caffine.  I have slacked off a good bit since I retired.  It is catching up to me in the afternoon as it effects my sleep at night.  Any coffee in the evening if it's not with a meal and I am up half the night. When I was younger and work later I would drink it at 2:00am and be asleep shortly there after. Not anymore.  But as a lot of things I used to do when I was yonger that I can't do now. Or at least as well.