What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Maybe I'll move to CA instead?  :D

This is not the place to live if you come from a place that averages 300+ sunny days a year, for sure.  I have two friends here who both moved from California, and I don't know how they can stand it.  I don't think I would mind the cold so much if it weren't so darn cloudy.  OK, I need to get off this darn computer and get to work!

Sassy

I'm cooking the roast in a big, heavy pot on the wood stove again - added celery, onions, tomatoes, potatoes & carrots - might as well use the wood stove rather than using more propane  :)

btw, I got outside & took the dogs for a walk, was able to sit on the deck outside in the sun & pay bills, somehow, didn't seem as bad, then read for about an hour - didn't even need a jacket.  Had to go to the post office to mail the bills & pu mail, then go to store for a few things (it's right on the way). 

Came home & baked another banana nut cake - when the bananas get too ripe, I just toss them into the freezer still in the skins, then take them out, let them thaw & mix them up in the cake!

Glenn's been out prospecting again - got his trommel (sp?) built last night & took off this am - I had washing & stuff to do so stayed home - besides this was the 1st sunny day that I've been able to go outside for awhile. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Sounds good Sassy. Wish I didn't live so far away.

I heard a couple years ago that bananas was the food that was wasted the most with people throwing it away. Bread I think was #2.  Never thought of freezing bananas but bread when it gets old is thrown into the freezer to make stuffing and croutons out of.

Another interesting thing that I heard about dairy and butter manufaturing. India is the largest consumer of butter in the world. They use 46% of the global butter made annually.  It shows as they do have good food. Probably use alot of Curry as well.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We never waste bananas...they go in the freezer and are thrown into smoothies and milkshakes, or sometimes a loaf of banana bread.  :) 

I've been a little preoccupied about DH's job situation, so haven't thought much about what's for dinner tonight.  I think that tonight we may go out for Mexican food before heading to the lumber yard to get the trimmings for our new floor (hopefully we'll get it all done tomorrow, as far as trimming it out.)  Also need to do a little painting over the weekend, though DH will be gone Sunday and Monday.  I am ready to pack to move, but at the same time am a little overwhelmed at the thought of it.  There are certain things that I will miss about living here... especially now that the house looks so good.  :) 

If we go out, it'll be chilies rellenos for me.  Heart attack on a plate but out of this world delicious.  DH will probably have carne asada or a combination of tostadas and tacos.  The kids will have their favorite, a steak tostada with a lot of guacamole and salsa.  Guess we're kind of predictable.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight it is lentils and rice, with some other veggies and a tad bit of ham thrown in... and corn sticks.  The kids love those and it was cold enough that it felt nice to crank the oven up to 450 degrees.

Daddymem

Dominoes pizza-blech, but hey it was on the cub scouts-Pack bowling night.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

MountainDon

Quote from: Daddymem on January 19, 2008, 10:21:24 PM
Dominoes pizza-blech, but hey it was on the cub scouts-Pack bowling night.
I agree... the only good tolerable Dominoes pizza is a free one.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Don, I don't know about that... i wouldn't eat dominoes in the US unless there was nothing else to eat, but in Korea, it was the best place to order pizza from.  They were so good there.  (KFC is a lot better there, too... spicier and not greasy.)  Dominoes pizzas in Korea came with a lot of unusual ingredients, like corn and bul-go-gi and pineapple.  (Just for kicks, I tried McDonald's and BK one time each there, and they were even worse than here.)  Subway there doesn't carry wheat bread, though the server dutifully offers it to you every time regardless, and then responds, "We have no wheat." and then makes it on white bread.  I also tried TGIFriday's there (I've never eaten at one in the states) and it was OK... overpriced but alright.  Chilies there was mediocre, at best.  Mexican food in Korea was terrible... whoever tried opening the Mexican restaurant I ate at there had obviously never eaten Mexican food... it was more bland than canned baby food.  The best thing besides Dominoes was the Vietnamese noodle shops, which were much like the ones in the US, only the broth was heartier and more filling.

MountainDon

So this is turning into a fast food review....
Subway, we like
Domino's, we don't like their crust
McD, uh-uh
BK, would you believe I've never been in one
Wendy's, only been once or twice, don't recall it being bad or good
TGIF, never been
Chilis, we don't like
KFC, can't remember the last time, but it tasted good
Pizza Hut, we like their pan pizza crust, but it's more greasy than my own
(FYI, it only takes 3 minutes in an 800 degree oven)
We like Olive Garden
For fast Asian we like Pei Wei and Panda
Red Robin, we like
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

:)  I don't like fast food, period, in the US, but some of it is significantly better in Korea.  I also don't like chain restaurants... the last time we went to one was a "Noodles" restaurant but that was because we were in a hurry to get somewhere.  When we travel, we either pack our food or stop at little mom and pop places along the way... it's fun to see if they're any good and what the local specialties are....
I mentioned Chili's in Korea because it was right across the street from where I worked, and I took my MIL, BIL, and SIL there to try American food.  (Incidentally, my MIL didn't realize I understood her when she said, "I would die if I had to eat this every day.)  My BIL returned the favor by taking me to TGIFriday's.  I haven't eaten food at a BK anywhere in years, but every now and then I admit to taking the kids to McDonald's and getting their plate of fruit so that the kids can play for a while somewhere warm. 

Drew

Jacky, Dan's mom, is taking us out to dinner tonight to celebrate her 70th birthday.  Cool, huh?  We're going to go to Cafe Gibraltar, a Mediterranean restaurant down in El Granada.  It's good because it's not just the European side of the water but the African side as well.  And the kitchen uses only organic and as much local ingredients as possible (I don't know if figs and dates grow within 70 miles of this place).

I know the last sentence seems overused these days, but you can really taste the difference.  Part of it is the food itself.  The other part is likely the chef who cares enough to seek out these ingredients in the first place.

Daddymem

sausage subs with kraut and sweet potato and white potato chips.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Just me and the kids for dinner tonight, so not sure what we're going to have.  I thought about making pancakes.  They'd like that.  Or maybe crepes, since they have a little more protein...
I've gotten four big boxes of kitchen stuff packed up so far (mostly canning jars and supplies that I'm not using right now, and stuff like pie plates and baking dishes that don't get a lot of use. 

MountainDon

Roast chicken  :) mashed sweet potatoes, steamed green beans

Homegrown Tomatoes

I made buttermilk pancakes with cream cheese and maple syrup for dinner.  It was pretty good.  We added some apples, and glasses of cold milk, and it was a done deal. 

It's the time of winter when I start craving green so badly I'll sit down to a lunch of nothing but steamed broccoli or collards or kale.  I have got to move soon!!!  I bet I could grow greens all winter in Kansas with a cold frame.  I know I can in OK, if we end up back home instead. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Beans 'n' greens tonight, with leftover rye and corn muffins.

glenn kangiser

Last night I was prospecting so had taken Mexican worker tacos with me.

Over the years I have had crews with or worked with a lot of Mexicans and it is common for them to bring extra tacos for others.  They commonly call meat or filling wrapped in a flour tortilla in this manner a taco - although you may think of them as a small burrito.

They usually toast the tortillas by flopping them directly on a propane burner on a stove, flame directly on the flour tortilla, flipping every 10 seconds or so to keep from burning, until lightly toasted, and the tortillas bubble up then put a filling in them.  The toasting takes away the gummy texture a bit.  I used chunks of steak.  After they make a batch the then pile them up and wrap them in foil.  Pretty easy, fast, handy and ready to eat later in the day - hot or cold.

We have been toasting flour tortillas over the flame in this manner lately and rubbing them with a cube of butter then rolling them up.  It's good for a quick snack also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

That sounds pretty good, too.  Maybe I could make bean and cheese burritos with some of our beans for dinner tonight... my kids aren't really too crazy about beans unless they're like refried beans, and they'll eat anything with pepperjack cheese on it.  Better yet still if I give them salsa and sour cream to dip it in and make a mess with.... 

Don't know what's gotten into me lately (the itch to get out of Wisconsin, maybe?) but I not only don't feel like cooking, but nothing sounds very good to eat, either... I think around this stage with both of the pregnancies before I was eating like a half-starved horse.  The other day for lunch, I made sandwiches for the kids and then I proceeded to have a little pan of steamed veggies, and that was it... nothing else sounded remotely appetizing.

fishing_guy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 21, 2008, 11:16:51 AM
Last night I was prospecting so had taken Mexican worker tacos with me.

Over the years I have had crews with or worked with a lot of Mexicans and it is common for them to bring extra tacos for others.  They commonly call meat or filling wrapped in a flour tortilla in this manner a taco - although you may think of them as a small burrito.

They usually toast the tortillas by flopping them directly on a propane burner on a stove, flame directly on the flour tortilla, flipping every 10 seconds or so to keep from burning, until lightly toasted, and the tortillas bubble up then put a filling in them.  The toasting takes away the gummy texture a bit.  I used chunks of steak.  After they make a batch the then pile them up and wrap them in foil.  Pretty easy, fast, handy and ready to eat later in the day - hot or cold.

We have been toasting flour tortillas over the flame in this manner lately and rubbing them with a cube of butter then rolling them up.  It's good for a quick snack also.

I know exactly what you mean Glenn.  Back in the 70's we worked with a couple of brothers from Guadalahara Mexico (although they swore and had the "papers" that they were born in Chicago, IL.

Anyway, that's exactly the way they would do lunch.  The owner of the drywall company always showed up around lunchtime.  He loved the food, especially when they would do corn.  They always had enough to share. The funny part is that the owner NEVER showed up anytime esle.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

glenn kangiser

I find them to be pretty generous when you show them a little respect. 

2nd or 3rd generation in the US changes them quite a bit in many cases.

Food in Mexico is quite good usually and not at all like Taco Bell. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I know that as a foreman for a construction company, the Mexican guys that my dad has working for him are the only dependable workers he can get.  And it isn't like those guys don't make decent money, but the American kids he get don't show up, show up late, are undependable, etc.  Dad always says he ends up re-doing half of what they do.  And he gets along well with them because they like each other's food... he has a "chuck wagon" thing he built that fits up between the tool boxes on his truck, and he makes a lot of stuff for them and vice versa.  They like his chili, or so he says.

Daddymem

venzin stew and biscuits...mmmmm

Sassy

Made biscuits, sausage gravy, fried eggs & fruit (sliced apples & grapefruit), and of course coffee for breakfast...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

tanya

Dinner was left over spagetti and garlic bread and it was very good spagetti, and for bedtime snack I had an apple. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Redoverfarm

Last night it was fried venison steak, mashed potato's, broccoli, peas, rolls.