What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

This is where it's all happening, Frank.

Homegrown is in charge of bringing in the sunshine every day even though it is snowing everywhere.

OK -- I had ice cream and candy, but somehow that wasn't enough.  Something seemed to be lacking. hmm

I had dug a bunch of small new russet potatoes from the garden a couple days ago.  They didn't get very big but boy, are they good nuked with salt and butter.  I added a piece of sour dough bread with butter and nuked the whole thing for another minute or so to melt the butter.  Very Nutritious. 
;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Home-made baked beans tonight, made with brown sugar and molasses. With a couple slices of preservative free, local bakery, rye bread and Smart Balance margarine and some salad.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Drew

It was home made pesto and marinara over pasta tonight.  Dave's girlfriend was over.  She's a little shy, but at the dinner table she gives me the occasional, "Did you really just say that?" look.

This girl listened to me go on about composting and manure without glazing over.  I think she'll be okay.

"We've come to this exclusive restaurant and replaced the Folgers Crystals with dehydrated humanure flakes.  Let's see if they can tell the difference!   c*

glenn kangiser

Should be similar.  I drink the crystals when Sassy is working and I am lazy or in a hurry.

Sometimes I just pour a tablespoon in a half a glass of cold water, stir it and drink it.  Face it -- we don't drink Folgers Instant Coffee crystals because they taste good -- we drink it for the caffiene.  Let's stop pretending.  It tastes like crap -- put it in a glass of cold water and swallow it. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

don we had homemade baked beans with molasses...and I made bread... something pretty awesome about fresh bread still warm and baked beans... They should just go together...It ought to be a law...

I got that way because my Grandmother always made fresh bread for the beans....Always

takes three hours to make bread and it is worth every second of it.

Redoverfarm

Well as always I overindulged last night. Went to friends to bring in the new year. They are musicians and my son plays clawhammer banjo so it was a good time.  To eat was roasted dill pork, chicken livers seasoned and wrapped in bacon, taco dip, garlic & buttered shrimp, meatballs ,apple pie(apples, cranberries, currants) and of course some spirits.  We didn't arrive until 8P(my fault because of some last minute construction) but at 11:00 my wife said you know you have been eating for 3 hours.  I guess she was right but I just know how to pace myself.
;)

benevolance

hey

you only live once... three hours of boozing and gorging sounds pretty good to me! ;D

Redoverfarm

Yeah it was good at the time.  Today I couldn't eat a thing until supper. Had something light. Pork stir fry. That was it. 

williet

We had a pot roast stew and biscuts....it was GREAT!

Drew

Dan made naan and a new red lentil soup for lunch today.  I remember when she wouldn't eat lentils on a dare.  Tonight it's homemade pizza.

I found a recipe for masoor dal (Mashed lentils with curry and a few other things).  I want to work that up this week and see how it goes.  If it doesn't fly I can use it for earth plaster on my straw bale house.

benevolance

Baked chicken coated in Pepper and Kicken Chicken spice...After the skin was removed and it was cut up of course ;)
We just coating the chicken in spices and letting it cook to make a crispy outside to keep the chicken moist inside...Sort of like a spicy version of shake and bake...

Sweet potatoes baked in the oven slow cooked with spices and butter for the side...

tanya

homeade chicken pot pies.  Bake the chicken cut it up, put it in a foil pan, steam the vegies, put a couple scoops in each pan, put a spoonful of gravy over it and top it with a biskit then bake in the oven 425 for 15 minutes.  I used the little foil bread pans I had left over from making the little christmas loaves.  They work better thant he little pie tins because you can make a bigger portion and put two biskits on top.  The extra ones are going inthe freezer if the kids don't eat them up to quick. Low cal version use the gravy sparingly. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

MountainDon

Turkey pie. Homemade except for the crust (frozen store bought). White and dark urkey, onion, corn, peas, beans, diced sweet potato, my own gravy, pepper mix, pinch o salt.

Leftovers for another dinner and a lunch or two.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

benevolance

damn that looks pretty good

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yesterday we had a big bowl of black-eyed peas (with a little of the leftover Christmas ham thrown in for flavor, though the dog got most of the ham.)  Homemade wholewheat/corn bread (my kids can eat a whole pan of nothing else for dinner if I'd let them get away with it.)  We also had some leftover kraut from lunch a few days ago.... It doesn't sound like anything fancy, but black-eyed peas are one of my favorite foods and I would have been fine with just a bowl of them.  Tonight it'll just be soup and sandwich because I have a lot to get done.  We took down the Christmas tree and stuff yesterday so I need to put all the decorations in storage, etc., as well as make a dreaded trip to the grocery store.  It is maybe 5 degrees outside this morning... but at least the sun is shining. c*

glenn kangiser

Quotethough the dog got most of the ham.

Wow -- lucky you were able to wrestle enough away from him to make soup, Homegrown. :)

Think I'll run out and broadcast some seed for the coming rain - wheat, barley and oat mix -, so maybe I will have some to harvest in the spring.  I've always wanted to try making my own bread from grain I grew.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've never grown enough wheat, barley, oats, or buckwheat to make bread from them (though we have grown enough to feed the chickens) but we have made cornbread from our own corn a lot of times.  Heirloom corn makes the best tasting cornbread that I've ever had.  We used painted mountain last year and the cornmeal came out looking similar to whole wheat or something.  The bread was rich and sweet (with no sugar added) and all-around more flavorful than if made with bland yellow store-bought cornmeal.  We've also made it from the Earth Tones dent corn, which was good, and from Tom Thumb ( an heirloom mini popcorn).  We just ran out of our homegrown cornmeal last month, but it was some good stuff.  I just grind it when we're ready to use it and it seems to hold the flavor better.  I think painted mountain was my favorite, but the kids like Tom Thumb because it is so cute and little.  Next year, Lord willing, if we're somewhere where we can, I intend to grow a lot more of our own corn for making bread.  Someday I'd like to expand it to other things like wheat, barley, oats and buckwheat, or even millet.  I love buckwheat buttermilk pancakes. 

The dog only got the ham that was boiled with the peas because the girls don't like soggy ham and they picked it out of their black-eyed peas and gave it to him on the sly.  They also found out on Thanksgiving that he really likes brussels sprouts, but the deal is, if they feed them to him, they have to sleep with him in their room because brussels sprouts give him *problems*.   ;)

glenn kangiser

Homegrown Tomatoes

We were passing a dead skunk on the side of the road one day, and I could hear my younger daughter sing-songing in the back seat, "Blame it on the dog, oh, blame it on the dog!"

I think we're having chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight... maybe a sandwich.  I'm too cold to eat.  I just want to go hibernate until spring.

MountainDon

Left over turkey pie for me tonight.

lonelytree

Raw cauliflower, carrots, green peppers and celery with a tad of ranch dip. 3 oz of garlic chicken and some fruit.

You don't want to know the rest....

glenn kangiser

I nuked a sweet potato and covered it with butter and salt.  Sassy returns tomorrow so I may get real food again.

Ice cream for desert with a couple tablespoons of Cider Vinegar for a chaser to help it digest before I go to sleep. ;D

When I found the cartoon above I was laughing so hard I was almost crying.  Obviously everybody else has a lot more class than I do.  Maybe Homegrown is down there with me. hmm  Probably not. :(

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 02, 2008, 11:52:15 PM
I nuked a sweet potato and covered it with butter and salt.  Sassy returns tomorrow so I may get real food again.

Ice cream for desert with a couple tablespoons of Cider Vinegar for a chaser to help it digest before I go to sleep. ;D

When I found the cartoon above I was laughing so hard I was almost crying.  Obviously everybody else has a lot more class than I do.  Maybe Homegrown is down there with me. hmm  Probably not. :(
Not quite, but my husband fell over laughing on the couch when I showed it to him!

Drew

Tonight it's going to be Hiker Pasta.  It's a concoction our guide made at 9,000 feet in Yosemite and it tastes just as good at sea level.  You sautee up some zucchini, winter squash, red onion and basil.  Then you stir in some sun dried tomato pesto.  Mix that up with some tortellini and shave some parmesan cheese on the top.  Eat it up in a plastic dog bowl with a cup of filtered lake water and you got dinner.  It is awesome!

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on January 03, 2008, 12:20:13 PM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 02, 2008, 11:52:15 PM

Not quite, but my husband fell over laughing on the couch when I showed it to him!

I have to thank Lyon for having a great sense of humor and not leaving me there laughing by myself. rofl