What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

Well as for working a real job...I took the week off to work on the house and to check to see if I was still married..I had been away working for the last couple of weeks and it really gets to both my wife and I when I am gone for more than a day or two... So I put work on the back burner and tried to take care of a bunch of crap here at the house...

Ordered flooring... ripped up some nasty carpet...Painted a bunch...Bought a used table saw and got a great deal... going to use it to make window trim on  the week-end...And started to restore an old dresser...But mostly I am picking at things at the house...I like to be here for the  wife to make her supper she has it rough here alone when I am gone teaching all day so I try to spoil her a bit when I can...It seems like every night she has an hour or so of work after supper for school...

going back to work a couple small jobs on Monday and then we are heading to maine at the end of the week to spend the holidays.. Likely be gone from here unless I figure out how to have Wi Fi...I have verison Wireless on my cell and I would love for someone to explain to me how to use the internet in the car

thanks in advance guys

MountainDon

Re Meatloaf. The thing that kills most meatloaf that's is the cook over handles it. Too much heavy handed mixing is what turns it into a brick. And some folks use too much bread crumbs trying to stretch it.

I like a well prepared meatloaf. Too many people look down at it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

If you have a wireless laptop, I will connect to any unprotected wireless  if you park near the signal.  You just drive around and stop in a likely place and try to locate a wireless. 

The computer will ask if you want to connect to the unsecured wireless and you allow it.  It cannot connect to protected ones.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on December 14, 2007, 12:18:18 AM
Re Meatloaf. The thing that kills most meatloaf that's is the cook over handles it. Too much heavy handed mixing is what turns it into a brick. And some folks use too much bread crumbs trying to stretch it.

I like a well prepared meatloaf. Too many people look down at it.

The meatloaf was good, but I just like lots of ketchup and salt on roast, sausage, wieners, hamburger, Salisbury steak etc.  Not on Steak, barbecue tri-tip unless it's been refrigerated for some reason.  Must be a pattern of some sort? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 14, 2007, 12:19:41 AM
If you have a wireless laptop, Ii will connect to any unprotected wireless...
It is surprising how many unprotected signals you can find. In my neighborhood there a sometimes 2 "default" systems available. They seem to turn off their router when they turn off their computer, or something like that. I also found one up in the Jemez. But same, thing, not always there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Of course there are also some places that offer free access. That includes the local Arby's... free wi-fi to attract the lunch trade?

glenn kangiser

I seldom have a problem in large towns.

glenn kangiser

Couldn't decide on which ice cream for desert so ate some of three types.  Peanut butter and chocolate, very cherry and butter pecan.

MountainDon

I'll have some of that butter pecan.     :)

benevolance

how do I know if i have wireless laptop... the laptop is a year old from Dell... I thought that I had to get somethingy from verizon wireless (my cell provider) and install it in the computer? hopefully I can figure it out before we leave next week

MountainDon

If it's that new it probably has builtin wireless.

We're talking about using that capability to borrow wi-fi service from someone.

What model Dell?

MountainDon

Glenn, do you like soft serve ice cream or just the regular?

Myself I like to get it soft; the flavors seem to come out more.

glenn kangiser

I like it all , Don.  As long as it's good and as long as they don't try to rip me off with 1.75 quarts posing as 1/2 gallon.

Peter - that is different.  An air card where you are paying for and getting your own signal is what you are talking about.  We are talking about the wireless adapter that is usually built in that will pick up anybodys wireless signal if they are kind enough to leave it unsecured and share it with the public.  Many will because they hope to borrow from others when they are on a trip.  It is the same adapter you can use with a motel or restaurant wireless signal. 
Built in almost all new ones.

Sassy

I only have dial up at the house in the valley, but I can use our renters wireless - they have cable & recently added DSL - they told me they were getting it & to feel free to use it.  I credit them some of the rent just for the convenience & their offer.  It would cost me another $60 at least to have DSL with our local phone service - don't know if I would have to get the cable also - don't watch TV so wouldn't do me any good. 

I just turn on my computer & it tells me the wireless is on...  pretty simple.  If you are going to be in a real remote area of Maine, there may not be any available.   :(

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Getting the use of the DSL is  [cool]

DSL beats dialup all to heck. I was thrilled when we first got DSL a few years back. 256K was so wonderful!  Then about this time last year we ungraded to 1.5MB for an extra $10 a month. It's amazing. Though in the past month we've experienced some down times.  :(  But they have been good at solving the problem.

MountainDon

The thing to remember with borrowing service is that it could be a two way street.  :o

benevolance

well we are likely going to stay in Lewiston which is not too remote off the interstate 95... a short  drive to Stoneham Maine where we are looking at the land... Well we found several parcels...one in Dixfield... one in Rumford... The one in Stoneham might be the best bet... borders a nationally protected forest on the back side...50 acres 60 grand :-\... but it has a small river on the property and it is completely wooded with mature trees and it is in the foothills of a mountain range with nice elevation and good views so the land is not all up and down..

this is according to the real estate lady of whom I have zero faith...So we are going to look see for ourselves.

I wonder how expensive it is to get the card and be guaranteed internet on the laptop no matter where I go.. I think that is what I would prefer...Seeing as how likely in the future there will be less and less unsecured wireless feeds... I saw in the news where a guy at starbucks got charged for stealing internet because he did not buy a coffee... just went there to get internet on his laptop

glenn kangiser

There are no guarantees with the card either.  Usually to the tune of about $60 per month.

I have never had a problem with using unsecured service but there potentially could be one.  There is a group of people who do it purposely though - leave it open on a share system.

I'm off to work again so will have to come back and post my wonderful dinner tonight -- Sassy will be off to work also -  So I get to exercise my Food Blindness -  I think that was the term for the disease that Lyon used.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yes, that's the correct terminology. ;D  I went to the grocery store yesterday and was so sick of not having anything on hand (there was literally nothing in the fridge except two quarts of yogurt and things like steak sauce and ketchup) that we kind of went on a spree...  We have food in the house, hooray!  We had really cleaned out the pantry, fridge and freezer because we thought we were going to be moving, but then because the university has never paid us back for our trip down there a month and  a half ago, it' has kind of squeezed us financially, so I had to wait until payday to buy food.  We'll be eating well for  a while. :)
The checker at the store looked at us kind of funny, like there were only four of us, why were we buying so much... she said, "You must be expecting company for Christmas or something."  We just laughed.  Today, my husband will get a big old ham from work, too, so I think we're set.

Last night we ate at one of the little mom and pop places I was talking about, and I had cream of potato soup, a reuben sandwich, and fruit (yes, under $6) and DH had steak and eggs with fruit and toast.  The kids split four mini-tacos and fruit. We were so stuffed we didn't even want to go grocery shopping, but then that is the best time to go. 

benevolance

i have heard people say never shop for food when you are hungry... you take home all junk food... Me I always but the same stuff...whole wheat pasta.. a chicken a roast some fish.. bag of potatoes 2-3 bags of carrots some onions... Big thing of Cranberry juice....Jug o milk couple cases of coke (my bad habit) Peanut butter...Spicey italian sausage (for the pasta)....Pasta Sauce.... Spices can of corned beef..Cereal, granola bars....Some fresh fruit... and sometimes flour and such for making bread

Kind of routine for me now....

Sassy

Benevolance, the property sounds really ideal if it is really what the real estate lady says it it.  Gets kinda cold up that way, doesn't it? 

Homegrown, hope the university pays you pretty quick!  I have a gov't credit card that I had to use when sent to conferences etc.  I had to pay it off the next month - made things kinda tight when I didn't get reimbursed for awhile  :(

Well, Glenn told me our 2 freezers are full now so I better not keep stocking up...  :)  It's good to use up everything once in awhile - then everything is fresh.  Gotta take my own advice!  ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

benevolance

Sassy we have been looking at acreage in several states and it is tough finding an honest real estate person....Worse than used car salesmen... Yeah cold in Maine... My wife hates the summers here in the south part of South Carolina... Savannah Ga and Columbia SC are unbearable with the heat and humidity...She wants out...She wants snow...She wants maine...

I tried to find middle ground this summer...I found cheap breathtaking land in Tennessee...1200 an acre for mature wooded mountain land with amazing views.. great location close to the tri Cities in Eastern Tennessee.... I figured being at 2400 feet it would be a lot cooler than at sea level like we are in Lake City...Mountain breeze and being under mature hardwoods and in the shade would help a lot also to keep it cool.

And I would still have a great growing season and be close to the south for my old car thing swap meets in Charlotte a few times a year and the like....

But no my wife was not hearing Tennessee...She worked in Maine a few summers while in college and she decided it was Maine or Maine...Everyday all she talks about is Maine for the last 6 months.... She has called half a dozen real estate people there and we have been sent plot plans and aerial photos of several properties...

So even though my lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange trees will not like it..We are going to try to buy acreage in Maine... I still love the piece of land we found in tennessee...But I know my wife and there is no talking her into it...

Homegrown Tomatoes

I admit it, I like Coke, too.  I don't drink it often, but I really do like it, especially over crushed ice. 

Benevolance, I'm the same way, but my husband (who was with me last night) is terrible if let loose in a grocery store on an empty stomach.  He'd come home with twice the grocery bill and half the real food.  I sent him to the store a few weeks back for oatmeal and a few other things and he came home with a jumbo box of really cheapy ice cream sandwiches instead.    Thankfully he was well fed last night, and was busy helping me with kids, and we actually got out of the grocery store with only one thing that wasn't on our list, which was a couple of avacados for my daughter who begged.  I take that back... two things.  My oldest got on to her daddy and told him that he oughtta buy mama flowers more often, so I ended up with a small bouquet of pink carnations that DD picked out. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

BTW, dinner tonight will be grilled walleye and wheat berry/garbanzo bean salad.

benevolance

i think my wife got flowers once... the fake ones at the wedding :o