What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Olive Garden is quite good. THeir salad is always nice and fresh and refillable! Eat lots of salad and breadsticks and then half the main course. Take the remainder home for another meal.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

tonight it's grilled tilapia with cilantro and lime (and Mrs. Dash extra spicy).  (Yeah, I know my beef with all the China-farmed tilapia, but it just sounded so good tonight that I couldn't resist...)  We're also having lemon spinach couscous and broccoli slaw with sesame dressing and chopped salty peanuts and cilantro.  And the girls are making brownies with pecans for dessert after we eat.
:wink

MountainDon

I don't have a problem with Chinese tilapia. I'm just amazed that it can be shipped that far and still be economically priced. I wish tilapia was thicker... I just like thicker fish/food.

We were busy before/during our normal dinner time. Meetings. So we had a real simple omlette when we got back home; eggs, green peas, onion, tomato, jalapeƱos, cheese. With toast. Grape Jelly on K's.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Fixed meatloaf - added chopped green & yellow peppers, tomatoes & swiss chard from the garden, chopped onions, diced garlic, basil, a couple raw eggs, oatmeal, salt & pepper.  Of course I had to put ketchup on top of one of the meat loafs for Glenn & I also added a little organic ceasar drsg to the lean ground chuck.  Turned out pretty tasty!   :)  Mashed potatoes, corn, baked sweet potatoes & berry pie with vanilla ice cream. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

The last of the Thanksgiving left overs! Turkey white meat, gravy, stuffing, with non-leftover (new?) mashed potatoes and steamed peas & corn. Tasted just as good the second time around.  :)

There's fixings (turkey) for another couple turkey pies or Chinese fried rice meals in the freezer.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We're having Korean food for dinner tonight... Kalbichim (stewed ribs? with veggies.  The ribs are cut crosswise with very small sections of bone, and they're much easier to get the meat off.)  Of course, rice, and some shigumchee namool (spinach "salad", which is briefly blanched and then you add toasted, salted sesame seeds, sesame oil, and a little green onion.)

Thankfully when my mom came she brought a big paper grocery sack full of tomatoes from my grandma's garden... some are ripe and some are green, but either way it is nice to have them...  I am thinking that we'll have to have fried green tomatoes sometime this week.  The weather has been horribly dreary...really tired of winter already. :-\

glenn kangiser

I want fried green tomatoes.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Solo tonight: grilled salmon fillet (2). Feeling lazy, but hungry.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Last night it was Mexican restaurant... ;D  I like it when others cook AND do the dishes!

Tonight we're having steaks (smelling wonderful at the moment), slaw, and smashed taters.  For dessert we're having popcorn pie, a new recipe I got out of the latest TMEN.  Made with heirloom homegrown popcorn, of course.  It looks and smells delicious, albeit very rich.

MountainDon

What did I cook last night anyhow??  :-\ :-[ ... spent too much time sorting out problems created by my internet web host computer and software upgrades. But that's a whole other story...  [frus]   [noidea'

Tonight: stir fried chicken teriyaki, onions, red & green peppers, sugar snap peas, mushrooms over steamed rice. And I'm almost ready to forgive the service host.  :-\

glenn kangiser

Leftover Steak we barbecued in a grilling basket in the Round Oak wood stove last night (1920 - PD Beckwith -Dowagiac Michigan -great design lends itself to cooking on top and grilling through the bottom door) .  The fire is going often in the winter so with a basket, barbecued steak is always easy... and some corn and mashed potatoes Sassy left for me so I wouldn't become anorexic. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 30, 2007, 10:20:11 PM
... so I wouldn't become anorexic. [crz]
Uh... no I won't say anything cause it might come to bite me someplace I should slim down.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

Roasted pork tenderloin wrapped with a piece of bacon. Yes, bacon. I seldom use it; keep some individually frozen slices in the freezer for moments like this. Potatoes, par-boiled and then roasted along side the meat along with parsnips. Tossed salad.

glenn kangiser

I think we can find a few parsnips  year round in the garden now.  We've only French fried them though I think.

Sounds good.  I'm on day three of leftovers and 2 bowls of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream for desert. ;D

MountainDon

Potatoes, parsnips, carrots and onions all make for good roasted veggies alongside a roast.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight was chicken stew.  It is getting colder by the minute, but thankfully got up over freezing today so a lot of the snow melted during the day.  Mom is still visiting so haven't had much of a chance to post. 

MountainDon

We spent the day up in the mountains. The 1 to 2 feet of snow that had been forecast for Fri- Sat never materialized; temps were too warm. It rained 2.53" instead.  :) Melted all the old snow. There was a fresh dusting on the roads from this AM, but only a half inch or so.

Dinner on the way back, via a little detour, was a superb pizzaria pizza in a little nearby village. Nice to not have to cook or do clean up.

glenn kangiser

I was thinking of how you were doing when I saw that a storm hit the Midwest, Homegrown.  Keep warm if you can.  I was prospecting so it was Marie Calendar's from the freezer and ice cream for desert.  I did actually cook a decent breakfast for myself. 

I took steak - chopped it threw it in a frypan with some olive oil, a Cherokee Purple, a stick of celery from the garden, a red bell pepper also from the garden -- 2 eggs and 2 slices of cheese -- some kind of a country scramble thing -- looked fair -- tasted great.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yesterday I had a late afternoon doc's appointment, and so DH and came back by the house and picked up my mom and the kids and took them out to eat at a nice place about 5 miles from here... it used to be a stage coach stop way back when, and they have a little museum upstairs.  Neat old building and good steak.  Mom and I had the filet mignon and DH had the ribeye.  All was excellent.  Oh, and the kids had chopped steak that was big enough to feed a family of four.  Tonight we're celebrating DD's 5th birthday early because mom is heading home tomorrow, so at her request, we're having breakfast for dinner... we'll have waffles, veggie frittata, and bacon, and then we'll have some butter cake with "valinna" (how my daughter says "vanilla") cream cheese icing and peppermint icecream.  Weird combo, I know, but she's a kid and this was her pick.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 28, 2007, 09:31:40 PM
I want fried green tomatoes.
I finally got around to making some for breakfast this morning.  I know, probably not a typical breakfast food, but I'm pregnant and they sounded wonderful... and they were.  Not quite as good as the ones at the Dairy Freeze in Yale, Oklahoma, but good just the same.

Last night we had gingerbread waffles, veggie frittata, and bacon for DD's 5th birthday party.  I made a butter cake and orange/vanilla cream cheese icing... it was pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.  Our friends nearly ended up in the ditch because of the snowstorm on the way over, but they're loyal because they came anyway.  And of course, there was icecream, but I did notice that hubby got out the cheap vanilla stuff in the big bucket as opposed to the peppermint cream icecream he hid in the deep freeze. 

glenn kangiser

hmm I must be pregnant too, because fried green tomatoes sound good to me for breakfast also.  Guess I better go test. ::)

williet

Tonight is pintos, cornbread and pickled corn salad.....yum yum!

MountainDon

Last night was Alaskan King Crab, baked potato and salad.

Tonight; not sure yet.  :-\
Maybe grilled salmon.  ???
solo night

Yep; grilled salmon and salad

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight, it is most likely the leftover coconut milk/chicken curry from lunch.  It doesn't really sound that good for a second round, but we're nearly out of groceries... there's not much to pick from.  I didn't even have that many veggies left to put in the curry, so I used some of the green tomatoes from my Grandma, and also an onion and potato we had left... and half a pepper.  Maybe I'll make some quick bread too...