Tools Necessary to Start Building?

Started by Miedrn, June 22, 2006, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Ok what is a sigmoid a scope used for  :-/ Guess I could Google it  ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

You don't want to know, PEG.  Sassy say's you need to arrange an appointment to find out when you turn 50.  Happy Birthday.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteYou don't want to know, PEG.  Sassy say's you need to arrange an appointment to find out when you turn 50.  Happy Birthday.

No way :o :o I am  50 and I not going to find out  >:( ;D  I hope  ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

harry51

Miedrn, I just read this thread, and regarding the original question about essential tools, I'd like to add that there are lots of options available on most things, for instance skilsaws. I own two worm drive Skil 77 saws, one of which is thoroughly used but still going strong, and the other nearly new, purchased for $15.00 at a yard sale. I've acquired lots of other good tools cheap that way, too. I also own a Porter-Cable Sawboss 6" saw, which does most things you need to do, but weighs much less than a worm drive type, and may be a worthwhile choice to look at before you buy.

peg_688

This cats paw is the first double ender I ever owned ,

All the other ones where aways to large to pass thru the loop on my nail bags , this one fits and is a very good cats paw  :) I highly recommend it to anyone in need of one.

The angles etc all make it very worker friendly , it really hates nails , so if that bother ya I'd stay away from one like it . You know how they are  ;)  ;D

G/L PEG

Amanda_931

They--cat's paws--just love to chew up wood too.  

But really they will do less damage than most anything else if you've really screwed up.  Might ruin that piece of plywood you're having to take up because that's where the stairs were supposed to go and you framed the whole thing in.   :)

glenn-k

This is the nail puller I like best -- does less damage than a cats paw and works pretty good to get buried heads --not as small though.  

peg_688

You want a carry one of those in your nail bags :o :o

You is one tough neanderthall :o :o ;D poor speelin Eh ::)

glenn-k

I'm sure you meant to say A double entendre, didn't you Aaron?

PEG -- I'm sorry ---you have two of us to put up with now. :-/

peg_688

Hey Aaron welcome you be nice , your Dad might 86 ya ifin you ain't  :o ;D

glenn-k

QuoteYou want a carry one of those in your nail bags :o :o

You is one tough neanderthall :o :o ;D poor speelin Eh ::)

It's troglodyte, PEG -- and if it was good enough for my old dead uncle it's good enough for me----- ;D

I do like that old antique though -- they were invented over a hundred years ago.

I tried using a cats paw to pull a nail once  --- when I hit it with the hammer he nearly clawed my eyeballs out. :-/  That was really stupid wasn't it?

I should be thrown in jail for attempted humor. :-/

bil2054

LOL, Glenn!  If I had thought that one up, the charge would be "Assault with a dead weapon" [smiley=wink.gif]
I like both styles of nail puller; the one to lug around for rough work, and the other in the tool box, to try and save that antique Ogee molding for reuse, 'cause you sure ain't gonna find it at Home Depot
[smiley=huh.gif].
Dang!  My new kitten just climbed up to read your joke, Glenn, and I'm wearing shorts. [smiley=shocked.gif]

glenn-k

Sorry about that, Billy Bob.

Now you just reminded me about our local law enforcement.

Seems a lady was filling her car up with gas not paying attention to what she was doing and spilled gas on the sleeve of her sweater.  She paid for the gas and drove off and unthinkingly lit up a cigarette.  As luck would have it, of course, the sleeve caught on fire.  This terrified her and the only thing she could think of to do was stick her arm out the window and step on the gas to blow the fire out.

As usual the local law enforcement was parked on the hill by the cemetary and he immediately took off after her in hot pursuit.  The officer quickly caught up and proceded to pull her over and issue a citation.  Talk about unfair.  You'll never guess what he charged her with.----He said she was waving a firearm. :-/

John_M

I can hear all the "groans" from California to Maine!!

glenn-k

peg_688

Oh brother ::)  Keep workin er Glenn, one day you'll get a laugh ;D That was only worth  a snicker ;)

hobbiest

A priest, a rabbi, and a minister walk into a bar, and the bartender says, "what is this, a joke?"  

Didn't think you were ignoring me PEG, in fact, I haven't been on the computer since Friday anyway!  

That Ryobi tablesaw is awsome!  I have picked, and chosen my Ryobi tools, and have nothing but good things to say about all of them.  Cheap, and very functional.  My impact driver is one of my favorites.  Don't like the miter saw though, gets to sloppy after a while.

I don't think anyone has given you a bad time on this thread, and don't ever think that you can't do something.  I had to remind my mother in her birthday card, what she told me everyday growing up, 'you can do anything, if you want to badly enough."  I also added some of my realization, which is that the only limitations to your skills, are the ones you put on yourself.  You are who you think you are, and you can do what you think you can do.  Once you get past the crutch of trying to live up to everybody elses limitations, the world is your oyster!

MIEDRN

I think you're right. I should have read that message a little more carefully. Sometimes intentions aren't clear in messages but I misinterpreted that one.

Funny because my kids grew up with the same comments from me. Now I have to remember my own words but I must admit, it's harder when I try to apply them to myself.

I'm in the process of making a few lifestyle changes in order to reach my new goals. I appreciate the comments about the tools...and the humor mixed in makes it all the more readable.

The knowledge on this forum is amazing but I have just one more question at the moment...

I wonder if they make hot pink work boots? :)

glenn-k

I'm not sure, MEIDRN, but if you find them let us know.  Jonesy and I will be on them in a second.  They'll go nicely with our pink construction tutu's and skin tight leotards.

Note that after you've been here a while MEIDRN, you will realize that I wield my power like an iron fist---and that everybody ia alway nice to everybody ---anything else would be a misunderstanding. ;D  (Most of the time). :-/

My kids had to put up with a slight bit of unreasonableness from me - however one occasionally pops in here now and then so I'll never admit it. :-/

Daddymem

I wonder if they make hot pink work boots? :)

They do.  Timerlands no less http://www.nextag.com/pink-timberland-boots/search-html almost bought Mommymem a pair awhile ago...almost.  Oh and our daughter has a pair (but not Timbys)

MIEDRN

On second thought, I think I'd rather see the pink tutu's and leotards on the two of you! :) Be sure to post a picture of THAT!

Thanks for the link Daddymem, I'll be sure to have a pair when I start building!

glenn-k

Just a minute there --- I think Jonesy and I need to have a little conversation.  Hmmmm -- may have to involve the wife in this one.....