Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yonderosa

GREAT stuff.  My plan is to drill a well next month so your insights are of great interest to me.

Is that a coyote or one of the hybrid wolves that the WDFW have been chasing around that area.  I've got a friend up in the A valley area that has been dealing with them.  One of them will bait his dog and when he chases him the others ambush em.  They almost got him last month but he managed to scare them off with a few shots.  Those hybrids and the cats have been real hard on the calves this year too. 

BBQ's and bird feeders = Bears.  A neighbor of ours came back from a walk to find a bear making himself comfy on their porch.  Took a posse of neighbors to chase him off.  If'n he don't get spooked by folks soon he may end up on one of those barbecues he's been raiding.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

MountainDon

hummingbird feeders = bear "soda pop"    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on June 19, 2010, 10:41:46 PM
Good stuff!

Now what would be nice for the pump setup is a low voltage cutoff switch, so you don't have to monitor the battery as much.

Don't know if these would do the job for your pump....   ???

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/sPOD-Low-Voltage-Cutoff-Battery-Protector-p-25220.html

http://www.smarthome.com/77416/Enforcer-Low-Voltage-Battery-Cut-Off/p.aspx

Thanks Don, that might be something I could look into.  I can't run the pump all the time however, or the cistern would over flow.  But something like this would mean I could forget about the battery and it would prevent it from draining too low all the time.  I might add one inline with the on/off switch.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on June 19, 2010, 10:56:56 PM
GREAT stuff.  My plan is to drill a well next month so your insights are of great interest to me.

Is that a coyote or one of the hybrid wolves that the WDFW have been chasing around that area.  I've got a friend up in the A valley area that has been dealing with them.  One of them will bait his dog and when he chases him the others ambush em.  They almost got him last month but he managed to scare them off with a few shots.  Those hybrids and the cats have been real hard on the calves this year too. 

BBQ's and bird feeders = Bears.  A neighbor of ours came back from a walk to find a bear making himself comfy on their porch.  Took a posse of neighbors to chase him off.  If'n he don't get spooked by folks soon he may end up on one of those barbecues he's been raiding.

When I first saw the picture of the wolf I though "is that a big coyote" but then I did some research (since it's been a while since I've seen one -- though remind me later and I'll tell the story of the 3 wolves that visited us in Ocean Falls).  Once I did some comparison pictures of coyote and wolf I realized this one was a wolf but something about it made me wonder still....hence the picture name is 'WolforCoyote'.

I'd be interested in information about the hybrids?  I've seen (we had once) wolf/dog crosses but usually they don't look so pure.  In any case, wolves eat dogs and cats if the deer population is low and ini general wolves and cats (and bears) pretty much decimate the local bird and deer pop :(

As for bears (knock on wood) we've been fortunate so far but I think they don't like all the noise (ATV's and shooting).  I could be wrong however.  I've heard, in fact, that one ate a porta-pot recently and that worries me since the composter is pretty spendy!  I'd hate to come back and find it munched so if it survives the next few weeks I'm building a 'bear stopper' for it.

You see, bears can go through steel so you can't really build a bear proof anything except you CAN accidentally leave a very nailed up piece of plywood in front of what you don't want them to get...they step on it, go OUCH, and leave.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on June 19, 2010, 10:56:56 PM

Our well was done several years ago by a previous owner but I contacted the well driller and discussed the well.  He actually remembered it.

Anyway, it's 205' deep and provided 2.5gpm of flow which I was told was about average for a residential well in the area though he told me it was shallow compared to some out there!  Apparently it is not uncommon to get 1.5 to 4 gpm in the area so I'd be curious to find out what you get.

When ours was done the owner put in a cistern which his son-in-law (the owner passed away after selling to the owner before us) tells me was a 'plastic' 1000 gallon cistern that's about 50-70 feet above the well head.  The well has a 12vdc pump in it (perhaps it's really 24vdc but I haven't checked yet) and seems to pump something like 1/2gpm to 1 1/2gpm into the cistern though I have no real idea.  I base this only on our recent experience in that we drained the cistern pretty dry then pumped for an hour or so and easily had the 26 gallons for the trailer and 5 for the bathroom plus more.  Over the course of the week I'd pump for a couple hours and each time the pressure at the spicket increased a little.  We used a LOT of water (my wife decided NOT to conserve to test the wells ability to keep up) and we always had enough water in the cistern.

I plan to run some real tests once I uncover the manhole to get into the tank which I'm told does exist -- it's just burried at the moment.

Yonderosa

I copied that picture and sent it to my friend just down the hill from you to get his feedback.  He's become quite the canine expert since he moved out there full time a four years ago.

"Officially" we only have two packs in this state...   ???

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on June 20, 2010, 10:33:49 AM
I copied that picture and sent it to my friend just down the hill from you to get his feedback.  He's become quite the canine expert since he moved out there full time a four years ago.

"Officially" we only have two packs in this state...   ???

Cool -- I'd be interested in the feedback.  I have coyote pics too but they don't look like that.  They are smaller with different markings and shape.

On a different subject my wife and I bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher today! :D  [cool]  The Craftsman 16" saw might be good for smaller trees and limb work but I needed something a little better for falling larger trees and bucking up trees for firewood.  We looked at the Poulan Pro but decided it 'felt' too cheap and went with the Husky.

My bro in Canada then told me his Husky is 25 years old and though he recently tuned it up it's run like a champ for 25 years!  :o  I'm thinking it was $400 well spent dollars.

dug

Speaking for myself at least, it really doesn't get a whole lot better than a brand spankin new saw. And a Husky to boot!  [cool]

Went through half a dozen tanks on my 026 yesterday and am contentedly fried. Great fun!

Happy cutting!  ;D

Yonderosa

My friend couldn't be sure by that picture but he felt it certainly could be a wolf.  He says the hybrids only differ in the ears and tail as well as being more bold near humans.

I suspect Wolf pressure is what is driving more Elk (according to the long time residents I've spoken with) into the Okanogan valley.  A rancher said that his open range cattle are getting a lot more wild (dangerous) in the last two years.  My brother-in-law's best friend is a game officer and when I asked him about it he just shook his head and said there have been some "incidents" in the area but wouldn't (couldn't?) elaborate.

OlJarhead

I went back and looked for the pics of the Coyotes that the cam got and cropped the two together.  They are the same resolution from the same camera and almost in the same spot -- distance to camera isn't the same but it isn't too far apart either.

The result?

The Coyote has a bushy tail and slightly different posture (typical yote) and the wolf, well it's just taller and not slinking with a thinner tail and more regal posture.

many have a hard time telling them apart but I think this shows a difference that suggests the one on the left is in fact a wolf.

OlJarhead

Though the look a LOT like the same animal I don't think they are -- what do you all think?

The coyote has a pointy snout that the one on the left doesn't seem to have but the color (black and white makes it hard) and haunches look pretty much the same.

However, the posture and size don't match and the tail appears completely different though hard to see.  Also, the wolf (left) has a longer neck -- that is normal from other wolves I've seen -- or appears to.

HOWEVER this could be the same animal and the posture is just chance -- so I'm still not 100% sure...it could be that they are the same coyote and that the left picture is just an illusion because of posture.

Dilema!

Yonderosa

I'm starting to think its just a well fed Coyote.

Some good Wolf info here: http://washingtonwolf.info/

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on June 21, 2010, 07:14:39 AM
I'm starting to think its just a well fed Coyote.

Some good Wolf info here: http://washingtonwolf.info/

Looking at that site I'd say it could still be a wolf.  Lots of pics that looks very similar and there is at least one in Okanogan county on there.

Either way, I've heard there is a lone wolf running around from one of the neighbors and I've set up my cam on a very distinct game trail to see what might show up :)

Woodswalker

I hunted deer in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of MN for over 30 yrs, and observed wolves there many times.  Have also observed coyotes many times out here, including an adult male that I shot last summer at the cabin.  Adult wolves are about twice the size of adult coyotes, and colors/markings vary greatly.  In my opinion, you've got a couple of coyote pics.

I find attitudes out here about wolves vary puzzling.  MN has been managing a viable wolf population of 1500-2,000 for several decades, without significant impacts on the deer population.  When my father hunted the same area of the BWCA in the 50's & 60's, there were few wolves left, and few deer in that area.  After federal protection, the wolf population came back, as did the deer.  Best hunt I experienced there in 30+ years was in '92, when we got 7 deer, 6 of them bucks.  Largest one is on my wall.  I welcome wolves back to WA.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Woodswalker on June 21, 2010, 10:36:07 AM
I hunted deer in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of MN for over 30 yrs, and observed wolves there many times.  Have also observed coyotes many times out here, including an adult male that I shot last summer at the cabin.  Adult wolves are about twice the size of adult coyotes, and colors/markings vary greatly.  In my opinion, you've got a couple of coyote pics.

I find attitudes out here about wolves vary puzzling.  MN has been managing a viable wolf population of 1500-2,000 for several decades, without significant impacts on the deer population.  When my father hunted the same area of the BWCA in the 50's & 60's, there were few wolves left, and few deer in that area.  After federal protection, the wolf population came back, as did the deer.  Best hunt I experienced there in 30+ years was in '92, when we got 7 deer, 6 of them bucks.  Largest one is on my wall.  I welcome wolves back to WA.

I suspect you are correct though the picture doesn't show size since the camera isn't shooting the same direction.  I'm leaning coyote myself actually.

As for attitude toward wolves in WA I think it has more to do with policy then the animal.  WA Wolf re-intro policies go far far beyond other states and while that might be ok, one never knows.  My experience with Government tells me that they will mess it up -- they always do -- so it's more then likely going to be a miserable failure one way or another.

As for wolves, I grew up with them around me and I don't have animosity towards them anymore then bear or cougar -- actually, bears piss me off but that's another story -- however I find it hard to beleive that increasing wolf populations will increase deer population.  That's nonsense.

In fact, records indicate that when wolves roamed the NW before Lewis and Clark came along, game was scarce compared to today.  This is not so hard to understand:

1.  Wolves eat deer and elk
2.  Coyotes eat deer (a male coyote will eat two fawns a year)
3.  Cougars eat deer and elk

The more carnivores you introduce to an area the less herbivores you end up with -- that DOES NOT mean you won't have a LOT of deer around though.  You see, the problem is that there are too many factors involved to assume that wolves alone will increase or decrease the overall population of deer.  Some factors involved:

1.  Winter -- cold winters = lower survival rate of deer
2.  Summer -- summer weather and growing seasons will impact herd sizes
3.  Drought -- less rainfall = less deer, becuase it means less forest fauna growth
4.  Wildfire -- this can impact deer populations
5.  Construction -- sometimes deer do very well in the suburbs -- in fact, it can increase the herds because of the LACK of predatory animals around (bow hunting has become popular in the suburbs back east because of this).
6.  Hunting pressure -- poor management of hunting areas can reduce herd sizes significantly.  Recently in WA a report came out about Elk population in the Blues.  The Tucannon herd was about 2000 animals until they changes the policy to only allow spike bulls to be taken.  They intended to increase herd size and now they have about 500 animals.

There is so much more involved.

I lived on Vancouver Island where they pretty much stopped hunting wolves and by the early 80's wolf populations were growing at a rate never seen before.  Something like 750 known packs by 1982.  Deer populations were fine and remained so.  Why?  Becuase the deer population would support larger numbers of wolves easily.  This is the key.

In Ocean Falls during a specially cold winter 3 timber wolves at 19 cats and 17 dogs around town (a town of under 1000 people) until they were killed -- because the town feared they would start eating kids when the dog and cat pop dwindled far enough.

Ranchers learn the hard way that wolves eat cows.

Personally, I don't like Coyotes at all but love wolves and my favorite book as a kid was Joseph Warton Lippencots "Wilderness Champion" -- King was the man!  Er Wolf!  And Reddy!  What a dog :)

Yonderosa

Quote from: Woodswalker on June 21, 2010, 10:36:07 AMI welcome wolves back to WA.

I do to so long as "management" is on the table.  Sadly those making the rules aren't the ones affected.  This year Seattle had both Bears and a cougar to deal with.  Of course when they show up in their neighborhoods eating their pets it's OK to do something about it.  Don't much care for the double standard myself.

I can certainly understand the Ranchers concerns too.  Wolf pressure on free range stock gets makes them wilder which is a concern to me as my property is in open range territory and I have six acres of meadow that attract them.  Never had much of a problem with em and they do a good job mowing and fertilizing...  I'd rather deal with 300 pound Bears than a herd of spooky cattle though - makes riding my mountain bike dangerous.  Last year had a bull try to gore my dog just off the steps of my place.  She's older now and wasn't able to evade the attack.  She took a tumble before my wife was able to drive it off.  Didn't give it much thought at the time figuring it was just bad timing and a ornery SOB.  Not so sure anymore.

I personally like having critters on my place.  They are usually among the highlights of our stays there.  In my forest management plan habitat is the priority.  I'm hoping the Wolves push some Elk down my way, especially in September  :)

The re-introduction of the Wolf will no doubt improve the health of ungulates in our area but it is a fact that there are other deleterious issues with their return need to be addressed as well.  So long as it isn't only the Disney channel perspective ruling the land, I say "welcome back."    

OlJarhead

Well said Yonder

OK, it's time to get back on topic!

Does anyone have a good source for shiplap or T&G pine paneling for the interior?  I'm looking around and trying to find the best prices.

Also, um, I'm dying!  I've been home two days and um.....I need to get back to work at the cabin!

OlJarhead

OK I'm getting ready to do some ordering and need opinions -- I've decided to post here in my cabin thread rather then the Off Grid Systems thread to keep it on track.

This system I found AFTER using Don's spreadsheet to design my own was almost EXACTLY what I was designing -- DISCLAIMER***  I am NOT buying this system *** -- and I wanted to post for comparison and to show where I got certain ideas in mine.

http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=615_watt_off_grid_system      
615 Watt Systems    $5.14 Per Watt
QTY.       DESCRIPTION    UNIT PRICE       AMOUNT    
3       Sun A-205-fa3 205W Solar Module    $ 356.70       $ 1,070.10    
1       Xantrex C40 Charge Controller    $ 145.00       $ 145.00    
1       PV3 Combiner Box    $ 79.00       $ 79.00    
1       20Amp PV Breaker    $ 15.00       $ 15.00    
1       MC4 30' Solar Module Cable    $ 37.00       $ 37.00    
1       Delta LA302DC Lightning Arrestor    $ 40.00       $ 40.00    
1       MNDC250, 250Amp DC Disconnect    $ 155.00       $ 155.00    
2       60Amp Din Mounted DC Circuit Breaker    $ 25.00       $ 50.00    
1       Xantrex TR1524 1.5KW 24Vdc Inverter/Charger    $ 698.00       $ 698.00    
8       US Power U225 6V 225Ah Deep Cycle Battery    $ 95.00       $ 760.00    
8       BC1 2/0 Battery Cable    $ 8.00       $ 64.00    
2       BC5 2/0 Inverter Cable    $ 25.00       $ 50.00    

Shipping:          
         Total       $ 3,163.10    

OK so here's my system:

No.   Item   Cost   Qty   Total
1   Costco GCB                                   $88            6   $528
2   SUN SV-X-200                           $364.00    3   $1,092
3   SUN-1012 Sinewave Inverter           $291.67    1   $292
4   Xantrex C40 Charge Controller   $111.18    1   $111
5   MC-4 50 foot cable                   $43.86    1   $44
6   PV Combiner Box                           $79.00    1   $79
7   Delta LA302DC Lightning Arrestor   $40.00    1   $40
8   60Amp Din Mounted DC Circuit Breaker   $25.00    2   $50
9   BC1 2/0 Battery Cable                   $8.00    10   $80
10   BC5 2/0 Inverter Cable                   $42.54    2   $85
11   20Amp PV Breaker                   $10.40    1   $10
12   Midnite Solar MNDC250             $188.00    1   $188
                                              Total --    $2,599

Some questions:

1.  Can anyone provide me with a better idea on a PV Combiner Box?
2.  Do I really need a 250amp Disconnect?  I thought Don mentioned 50amps before.
http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=349
3.  I plan to make my own battery cables to save a few bucks - I'll check local elec suppliers for 2/0
4.  Not sure I'd need a 20amp PV breaker??  I'll have to check the panels again.

All parts and prices are from the same source (for convenience) and I'm interested in better sources and prices from anyone who has them.

Thanks!
Erik

Charge Controller
http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=33
Disconnect
http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=349
Inverter
http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_40&products_id=788
Solar Panels
http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=810

OlJarhead

It's quiet in here these days!  I know you're all out at your cabins and I'm stuck at home waiting to get back to mine...it's a killer!  But I'll do some work around the house to stay sane.  Besides, I've got to wait for a boat load of gear to come in!!!  We ordered a Granberg Small Log Alaskan Mill and I bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher saw (mentioned elsewhere here) as well as all kinds of milling and sawing tools and essentials.  Then I bought all that solar power stuff including the charger and inverter mentioned in another thread as well as a tennon cutter setup to make furniture and railings.

So ya, I'm bored because I'm not at the cabin working and I'm now unemployed and work appears to be rather ahem, hard to find these days, but I figure if I can get the garden in shape and put some vents in the shed I'll at least feel somewhat productive at home.

Maybe I'll make some soap and some cheese to occupy myself.....

Oh and I have a plan to prevent boredom when not at the cabin now! :D  I'm going to bring rounds, slabs and branches back home next time as well as the tennon cutter setup and then I can make furniture when I'm at home and not at the cabin :)

That's the plan anyway.

fishing_guy

Let me know how that chainsaw/mill combination works fo you.  I have that saw already, and have some pine and birch I'ld like to use for more than firewood.

Thanks
John
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 24, 2010, 10:19:21 AM
It's quiet in here these days!  I know you're all out at your cabins and I'm stuck at home waiting to get back to mine...it's a killer!  But I'll do some work around the house to stay sane.  Besides, I've got to wait for a boat load of gear to come in!!!  We ordered a Granberg Small Log Alaskan Mill and I bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher saw (mentioned elsewhere here) as well as all kinds of milling and sawing tools and essentials.  Then I bought all that solar power stuff including the charger and inverter mentioned in another thread as well as a tennon cutter setup to make furniture and railings.

Wish I had connected with you - you could have borrowed my Granberg Small mill for a bit to see how you like it.  It's brand new, and I haven't even attached my saw to it yet.  I was planning to last time I was up there, but got a bit lazy in that department.

The plan currently is to head up there on Monday (the 28th) and stay through Friday morning/noon-ish.  I am bringing some scaffolding to put up the rafters and then we'll see about the roof sheathing and anything else I can get finished.

Glad to hear you are progressing along well.  If you don't mind, can I ask how much you paid for the roofing (the steel) ?  I'm in the debate mode right now and want to try to come up with a better answer before the end of the weekend.

Also, I was wondering what well driller put in your well? I've had one bid so far for a well on my place, but I really think it's outrageous.  I think he included the "wet side" surcharge... d* (if you know what I mean)

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on June 25, 2010, 03:01:09 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on June 24, 2010, 10:19:21 AM

Wish I had connected with you - you could have borrowed my Granberg Small mill for a bit to see how you like it.  It's brand new, and I haven't even attached my saw to it yet.  I was planning to last time I was up there, but got a bit lazy in that department.

The plan currently is to head up there on Monday (the 28th) and stay through Friday morning/noon-ish.  I am bringing some scaffolding to put up the rafters and then we'll see about the roof sheathing and anything else I can get finished.

Glad to hear you are progressing along well.  If you don't mind, can I ask how much you paid for the roofing (the steel) ?  I'm in the debate mode right now and want to try to come up with a better answer before the end of the weekend.

Also, I was wondering what well driller put in your well? I've had one bid so far for a well on my place, but I really think it's outrageous.  I think he included the "wet side" surcharge... d* (if you know what I mean)

Got our roofing from Do It Right Builders wharehouse in Tonasket.  Their prices were better then the big box stores every time.  I got my windows there too -- gain, cheaper then the big boys.

The well was drilled about 7 years ago so I don't know what it cost but I can check the driller for you.

As for the granberg -- now that's funny!  Mine arrives today!  Together, perhaps, we'll be milling lumber like crazy!

OlJarhead

FedEx dropped this off today :)  FAST shipping.  Came with wires prepped for install (thanks Inverter Store) free of charge.

What a MONSTER!  I'm absolutely floored at the size and weight of this thing...sheesh.  OK I knew a solar power system needed an inverter that might last longer then your typical car unit but wasn't expecting this monster.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 25, 2010, 04:17:40 PM

FedEx dropped this off today :)  FAST shipping.  Came with wires prepped for install (thanks Inverter Store) free of charge.

What a MONSTER!  I'm absolutely floored at the size and weight of this thing...sheesh.  OK I knew a solar power system needed an inverter that might last longer then your typical car unit but wasn't expecting this monster.

Tell me that those wires showing on the top of the box aren't the ones that go into the 2500W inverter!  There is no way they will carry slightly over 208 amps DC (under full load - and that's just for the output, not to mention the couple amps for the internal electronics).  How many amps does the manual say that thing draws under full load? ... of course it might simply be rated at 70.7% of DC current at full load, which would only be about 145 amps :o  I'd guess that the wire would be something close to the size of a regular battery cable.  Very cool that they sent them with the ends prepped  [cool]

Yeah, I know it won't be run under full load - at least not often and not for more than a couple seconds, but you'll need to have hefty wire, and short runs from battery to inverter to minimize the voltage drop.

Is that a "modified sine wave" inverter?

Very cool, tho.  That should just about power anything you'd want it to (except the beer cooler). :)

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 25, 2010, 04:17:40 PM

What a MONSTER!  I'm absolutely floored at the size and weight of this thing...sheesh.  

If that impresses you how about the Outback VFX3524M (mine). 62 lbs.

javaman, no offense to you, but that's square wave, maybe a modified square wave. Sine waves are curves, no corners. "Modified" is adman talk. At best they should be named as being a stepped wave.

But for a lot of purposes they work well enough especially when price is factored in.

I liken the difference to stomping on the gas and then stomping on the brakes instead a smoother application of gas and brakes like a good road racer. Or letting the door slam shut instead of having a hydraulic closer smooth it out. Motors prefer being treated smoothly instead of being slammed.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.