Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I'm stoked now :D  The hardware/lumber yard is going to deliver to our site tomorrow!  [cool]

Going to have them deliver the remaining lumber and sheeting as well as the door etc so we can get the door on and maybe get the roof framing done and start on the sheeting :D

Of course, the weather while clear and sunny, is still cold enough at night to freeze the water dripping off trees so there might be a lot of ICE.  However we will have them drop the load as far as they can get and then we will pack the it in the rest of the way in the or on the jeep (with chains of course!).

Wish us luck!  I'll take pictures....

Oh man, the cabin fever is about to be solved!

Solar Burrito

Good luck this weekend. Get your passenger in your jeep to take a video of your first assent up your icy road! Good luck with the cabin, I'm going to do a similar foundation to you near Lake Cushman, WA.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

OlJarhead

Quote from: Solar Burrito on February 18, 2010, 10:25:21 PM
Good luck this weekend. Get your passenger in your jeep to take a video of your first assent up your icy road! Good luck with the cabin, I'm going to do a similar foundation to you near Lake Cushman, WA.

I might do that!  Should be interesting.

I'm just hoping the road isn't iced up like last time.  If it is it will be a LONG day!  We'll get the delivery as close as we can but if the roads are as bad as they were a month ago then we will be hauling 18 sheets of OSB, a door, several 2x6's and 2x4's all in the back of the jeep (Cherokee) which will take a while.

At least this time we have chains though and a pick ax to break up sheets of ice if it's as bad as last time and proves a problem.

We're determined so we'll make it but I'm hopeful we won't lose precious daylight hauling lumber and OSB...

The mission is to get the gear there for the next trip and get the door installed.  After that it's sitting around the fire, cutting wood and cutting pines for railings.

Should be fun (always is actually).

Let us know when you start your cabin and be sure to post pics!

MountainDon

Take a bucket of sand oe kitty litter along too. If it is icy it's nice to be able to sand places you want to walk on. I carry a 5 gallon Homer bucket full of brick sand.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

We have a door :)

With chains, food and determination we headed out to our place in the woods to try once again to at least get a door on the cabin and perhaps get some more supplies to the site, and we made it!

It all started Thursday when I realized I could be in Tonasket early on Friday, so I called the builder and asked if they would attempt a delivery.  They agree to give it a try since I agreed to offload the supplies at whatever location they could drive to and ferry it the rest of the way in my jeep -- if needed.  And away we went.

About 1 mile from our place the road began to get slippery but each uphill section was pretty decent with ruts down to the gravel so we were able to get all the way to the same spot we'd made it last month.  We then chained up the jeep and CUT our way up the hill :D  Those v-link chains are amazing!  Like ice chopping blocks tearing up the thick ice like no bodies business.  A couple trips up and down and the flat bed (1 1/4 Ford 4x4 dualey) made it up with just a little sliding.

We off loaded the gear and the fearless delivery driver slipped his way back down the drive - gingerly - and safely returned to the shop.

We also cut about 20 pines ranging from 1 1/2 inches thick to 3 inches (at the base anyway) and 5 feet to 10 feet tall.  All have at least 4 feet of usable tree (1 1/2" in width) for making the railings.  However, I figure I'll need at least 8 rails and at 1- 3 per tree I'm looking at around 30+ trees.  Although after cutting 20 or so out of one spot it was hard to tell and it's a spot I wanted to clear anyway since it will shade the place my solar panels should probably go :)

Anyway, aside from the 'Road Warrior' missing badly on #1, #2 and #6 by the time we got home (started on #1, then #1 stopped and #2 started (after I used injector cleaner) then #2 and #6 and finally all three -- errggg) we'd made it through a successful weekend and have a door with deadbolt and locking knobs :)  Seriously!  Now my wife can actually OPEN the door and look inside on our next trip (probably should clean it out then huh?).

Cheers

diyfrank

Hey OlJarhead, whats your elevation and does your place have a southern/northern exposer?
I'm planning a trip in may to curlew to do some road maintenance but as mild as this winter has been I'm thinking I may get in as early as the end of march. Maybe?
Home is where you make it

OlJarhead

Quote from: diyfrank on February 22, 2010, 08:23:59 AM
Hey OlJarhead, whats your elevation and does your place have a southern/northern exposer?
I'm planning a trip in may to curlew to do some road maintenance but as mild as this winter has been I'm thinking I may get in as early as the end of march. Maybe?

We're at about 3100 feet and the road is good up to around 2800-2900 feet then it gets pretty icy in the areas that are shaded.  It's been warm during the day and is melting everything off so perhaps if you aren't much higher then us you should be good :)

Our neighbor is at closer to 4000 feet (or higher) and he's making it up there no problem!

Redoverfarm

OlJarhead glad you made it up and jilted the "cabin fever" for a couple more weeks. 

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 22, 2010, 01:17:45 PM
OlJarhead glad you made it up and jilted the "cabin fever" for a couple more weeks. 

Thanks :D  Now I need to do some Jeep work before going back.  But it's long overdue!  I need to fix the running issues and then swap out the 3.55:1's for 4.10:1's since upgrading the suspension and tires.

Also need to get the AC working and the stereo working!

MountainDon

When I swapped my 3.55's for 4.56's (32" tires) my highway fuel mileage actually got better. Plus the around town drive-ability was better too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on February 22, 2010, 01:43:43 PM
When I swapped my 3.55's for 4.56's (32" tires) my highway fuel mileage actually got better. Plus the around town drive-ability was better too.

Yup -- heard that a LOT lately.  Makes sense too since the taller tires lower the RPM's at any speed you are traveling thus taking it out of optimum power range and making the jeep work harder to maintain speed -- funny how that works but it does (or so all my racing buddies tell me).

I'm planning 4.10's becuase I'm running 31's and have read that's the right adjustment to make and I really can't wait!  For one thing, I was getting worried becuase I was towing a heavy trailer a LOT and it seemed to put too much added stress and strain on the jeep becuase of the bigger tires - it towed but not so good.  Once the 4.10's are in I ought to be laughing ;)

Of course, I'm not doing it myself so the cost factor kinda sucks but I want it done right and the last time I did anything that delicate was a LONG time ago...so I'll let a pro install them but I'll get the parts myself.

OlJarhead

After cutting several pines for loft railings it was time to enjoy a fire and company :)  Biggy (Shawnee Thunder Pony Big Mountain -- Biggy for short) and Josh relaxing in the 25 degree weather -- around a rather warm fire :)

The driveway turned into an ATV fun zone on Sunday before packing up.  As you can see much of it was still ice -- actually it all was becuase the dirt sections were 3-4" of frozen ground unless in a spot where a LOT of sun hits.

Ice -- good thing we had chains :D

I took this view I think just because :)

One thing nice about going up there is that I get lots of pics to remind of why I like being there :)

OlJarhead

Seems my Banks Torque Tube header is cracked at the welds so Quadratec is sending a new one (gotta love Gale Banks) and I'll swap that out this weekend.

Also should be ordering front end and read end parts soon :)  Can wait to get all the work done on the jeep -- don't like that it takes away from cabin funds but on the other hand means I can GET TO the cabin :)

OlJarhead

Figured I'd post a few more pics of 'the boys' playing before packing up and leaving on Sunday.

Wish I had more construction pictures but after the door was done I decided to take a break and enjoy the weekend (and worry about the jeep)....

Josh was spinning around to go back and catch Biggy -- later Biggy rolled the Yamaha!

Biggy in front, Josh in the back -- both having too much fun :)

OlJarhead

:) ;D [cool]

Just pulled the trigger at Rusty's for 4.10:1 gears and rebuild kits (and carrier) to get the gearing done!

So, new header (again), new gears, fixed vacuum issues, AC and stereo -- heck next trip up ought to be one heck of a wonderful trip :D

OlJarhead

Not sure how long (or the cost) of the diff rebuilds yet but the shop rate is excellent and the shop comes VERY highly recommended (Lynn St. James old crew chief recommended them :D )

Can't wait!

OlJarhead

We're almost there!  FRIDAY COME ON!!!

The jeep was done and runs like a new rig :D  I'm loving it!!!  Heck, the Road Warrior is a happy camper now!

So, I have ALL of next week off!  WHooHoo!  Just been planning the attack.  I'm thinking Sunday and Monday to complete the roof framing and sheeting.  Tuesday and Wednesday to complete the Window Installs, Thursday and Friday to felt the building completely (and finish any window left overs).

Might be a bit ambitious but we will have a compressor and there will be three of us.

I'm also going to go buy some rope (rappelling rope that is -- or climbing rope -- have to ask) so I'll have some safety.  No roofing ladder or hooks (couldn't find any anywhere) so will just have to wing it.  But with a good ladder, roof jacks and rope I should be fine.  Besides, I plan to do a boatload from the inside if possible.

We've got out work cut out for us but the days are getting longer and I'm ready to rock and roll!

OlJarhead

Just left the wood stove shop -- had to go over all the parts I will need to install the pipe -- I'm dreading the price tag!

Looks like I need the 6"-90 from the stove to the wall, then a collar and tie to SS pipe and a wall thimble, plus an elbow support and SS 6" elbow with cap, then about 14 feet of SS pipe, a roof support, wall bracket/support, flashing and cap and roof support for the last 4' of pipe (approximate amount to stick out above.

I know the pipe is really pricey but I'm hopeful the other parts aren't too nuts...

OlJarhead

My son contemplating the stairs we built on the 5th day -- it was his idea :)

Roof!  Well almost!  We're getting there now.

OlJarhead

Bought a 24' ladder, got a 28' footer...was heavy and hard to move but VERY secure!

Rigged up a safety line and got busy.

The first side we did mostly by running up a sheet, holding it in place, running up to the loft (me) and helping nail it down, then doing it all over again :)

It's only 20 feet up and that 2x4 is nailed with 16 penny nails...

OlJarhead

We arrived Saturday and got some grass seed spread on the easement (to help keep the bank together) and then met the neighbors (all but one for the 1st time).

We got set up but didn't do too much.  Then Sunday we managed to get the gabled en walls framed and the look outs framed.

Monday we sheeted the gabled ends and finished blocked the rafters, putting in hurricane ties and finishing off some of the wall nailing.

Tuesday was the big day and we sheeted over half the roof!  Crazy day!

Wednesday was a bit of a lazy day and we framed stairs (I goofed a little on those but they are temporary still) and did some ATV riding.  Also got some great poles for the porch :)

Thursday we did all but a couple spots on the roof sheeting and called it a trip -- completely smoked!

Ahhh it was a good week though :D

Redoverfarm

Looking good.  Make sure you get some titanium felt or tar paper on as soon as you can. Tarps have a short life span.  BTW did you take my ladder.  Have one exactly like it.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 26, 2010, 12:47:20 PM
Looking good.  Make sure you get some titanium felt or tar paper on as soon as you can. Tarps have a short life span.  BTW did you take my ladder.  Have one exactly like it.

I wish we could have done so this trip but we just plumb ran out of steam!

We were thinking about the tar paper and wondered if the best way to put it down was top down.  Why?  Well, with the roof pitch as steep as it is it almost seems it would be easier to put the top piece in, then the next row by sliding up under the top before nailing it down, and so on until you are at the bottom and can install via ladder?

Also, how on gods green earth does one go about roofing one of these things? ha!  I need wings or something!  12x12 pitch is um, steep!

The ladder?  Funny story, I bought a 24' one but the store only had a 28 so they gave me it :)  I needed it becuase of my 265lbs...and you add some OSB and a belt full of nails and ya, I need the big boy ladder! hehehe

Cheers

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 26, 2010, 02:01:32 PM

We were thinking about the tar paper and wondered if the best way to put it down was top down.  Why?  Well, with the roof pitch as steep as it is it almost seems it would be easier to put the top piece in, then the next row by sliding up under the top before nailing it down, and so on until you are at the bottom and can install via ladder?

Also, how on gods green earth does one go about roofing one of these things? ha!  I need wings or something!  12x12 pitch is um, steep!

The ladder?  Funny story, I bought a 24' one but the store only had a 28 so they gave me it :)  I needed it becuase of my 265lbs...and you add some OSB and a belt full of nails and ya, I need the big boy ladder! hehehe

Cheers

Yes you can run it in reverse order.  Just attach it to the lap marks (usually a white line laid out by the manufacturer).  Slip the next course under the previous and secure except for the lap portion.  So on and so on.

Didn't pay attention whether you are going with shingle or metal.  Shingle then you will need "roof jacks" which allow you to use them under the shingels as you climb to the top.  Metal it is best to use a chicken ladder and keep slidding it over with each progressive sheet.  The person on the ridge can just straddle to hold and adjust.  To make them feel better you can use roof jacks or nail cleats on the roof (back side) to keep from straddiling.

As for the picture. I don't really think he is thinking about the steps.  He is probably wondering how "dad" ever talked me into this. ;)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 26, 2010, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on March 26, 2010, 02:01:32 PM

Cheers

Yes you can run it in reverse order.  Just attach it to the lap marks (usually a white line laid out by the manufacturer).  Slip the next course under the previous and secure except for the lap portion.  So on and so on.

Didn't pay attention whether you are going with shingle or metal.  Shingle then you will need "roof jacks" which allow you to use them under the shingels as you climb to the top.  Metal it is best to use a chicken ladder and keep slidding it over with each progressive sheet.  The person on the ridge can just straddle to hold and adjust.  To make them feel better you can use roof jacks or nail cleats on the roof (back side) to keep from straddiling.

As for the picture. I don't really think he is thinking about the steps.  He is probably wondering how "dad" ever talked me into this. ;)

Metal roof -- straddling the roof might be a good way for the top -- though there would have to be some kind of safety line I'm thinking...it's a good 20 feet to the ground!  I haven't found a roofing ladder yet but I think I'll do a net search and order!  That HAS to be better then what I was doing.

As for it being a chicken ladder this old jarhead learned a while back that not only is he mortal, but he's not unbreakable and prefers to not be any more broken! ha!  So, while I'm certainly no chicken (I did a jig on my roof) I'd prefer not to fall.

Speaking of falling, I did that too this weekend.  Only I was half way down the ladder (maybe still 7 feet off the ground) and had put on a rappelling break to rappel down the ladder (like a dumb ass jarhead would do) and wasn't paying attention to my rope (like an old one that forgot more then he likes to admit)...I hit the break just in time to realize the mistake I made -- while flying out over free air (or so I thought)...then I chose ground over wall and let the break out only to learn the hard way that my son moved in the same direction.

Poor guy!  265lbs of marine flying out of the air is tough to stop...but then again, he will NEVER look down at the ground again while holding my ladder! hahaha

Felt bad for crushing him into the ground like that though.  He's a big kid at 220 himself but flying jarhead is not something you want landing on you! *chuckle*