Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I've been thinking about my cathedral ceiling and insualtion and wondering what I need to do?  I've got 2x6 rafters but to provide the 1" gap for venting I'd need the insulation to be 4 1/2" this and I can't find that.

Beavers

Just an idea for insulating you camper...insulated concrete blankets.  

They are waterproof and as thick as R 7 1/2 at this website.
http://cover-tech.com/curingblankets.htm

Only 59 cents a square foot for the R7.5 stuff.  Seems like it would be pretty easy to wrap the tent ends of the camper with them.  

Looks like you could even get custom cut ones for a couple of more cents per square foot.  [cool]

MountainDon

camo coloring would be nice.    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

On your tent insulation, you will gain some R value if the foam board is foil faced and facing in.

OlJarhead

Quote from: poppy on December 02, 2009, 08:44:23 PM
On your tent insulation, you will gain some R value if the foam board is foil faced and facing in.
That's what I was thinking too.  Reflect the heat back into the trailer.

I'm thinking that insulating under the floor of the main box (lots of room there I think) as well as under the pull out floors and then in the tent windows and perhaps wrapping the entire tent sections as well as on the roof all should help.

The hay idea was one I had becuase I know hay is a good insulator and I figured it might help even just stacked around or under the unit.

Temps are now in the teens at night her at 600 feet so I'm sure up at the cabin (3100 feet) it will be even colder!  Tent trailering in that cold can be tough.

OlJarhead

Saturday
Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 30s. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_snow    
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with light snow showers likely. Lows 12 to 16. East wind 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.
partlysunny    
Sunday
Partly sunny. Colder. Highs 18 to 23. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph. Wind chill readings 7 below to 6 above zero.

Seems like this weekend will be chilly!

MountainDon

That's still balmy.   ;D  Last night the remote in the Jemez mountains dropped to -4 (7 AM). 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on December 04, 2009, 03:31:40 PM
That's still balmy.   ;D  Last night the remote in the Jemez mountains dropped to -4 (7 AM). 

Yes but you're not staying in a tent trailer ;)

MountainDon

... and for that I am thankful.   G/L

NM_Shooter

I'd be tempted to insulate the shed and stay in there.  

I had an idea a long time ago.. back when we camped in a pop up.

My idea was to make a radiant heat platform for under the mattresses.  I thought that I could get some of that fairly dense sheet foam that also has a radiant barrier on it.  I would install the barrier shiny side down, and on the upper side I would route ¼" channels into it spaced every 4 or 6" or so.  Then rig up a small water pump and propane burner, and make a copper heat exchanger inside a small piece of galvanized stove pipe.  But in order to make it safe, you'd need decent controls, and by the time I figured out what it would all take, I lost interest.  Not sure if I could get much heat through those foam mattresses anyway.  

If it did work, it would use up very little propane and very little electricity.  I also was trying to figure out a way to do it only with convection, but couldn't get that to work.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

OlJarhead

Got some clamps to clamp insulation to the tents.  Then might also get some 3/4" foam insulation to put under the mattresses and on the roof and under the floor -- maybe on the walls too.

A little elaborate so I may just do the tent canvas with insulation blankets and throw a tarp on top but we've braved sub freezing weather in it before :)

OlJarhead

Heading out tomorrow :)  Got two more RV batteries from a friend so we'll have lots of power and got some insulation and clamps to insulate the tents as well as some foam insulation for the floors and walls :)

I think we might survive the 10 degree weather now :)

considerations

"You're not the first owner-builder who's messed up on a door either."

I am a sheepish member of this club myself.  Thank heavens for reciprocating saws!  :)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 05, 2009, 12:24:41 AM
Heading out tomorrow :)  Got two more RV batteries from a friend so we'll have lots of power and got some insulation and clamps to insulate the tents as well as some foam insulation for the floors and walls :)

Be sure to take a few photos of the remodel. ;D

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on December 05, 2009, 10:10:57 AM
"You're not the first owner-builder who's messed up on a door either."

I am a sheepish member of this club myself.  Thank heavens for reciprocating saws!  :)

Gotta love the sawsall! :o

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 05, 2009, 10:14:36 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on December 05, 2009, 12:24:41 AM

Be sure to take a few photos of the remodel. ;D

Will do!

OlJarhead

We put the aerofoil (?) insulation in the side windows and on top of the pop-ups then covered the pop-ups with a tarp which we wrapped around as best we could.  Then we stuffed insulation in other areas (behind sink, on walls of sleeping area etc) and were able to stay warm!

It dropped to 10 degrees overnight but the trailer stayed between 55 and 70...good thing we had lots of propane and 3 batteries to run the heater!

OlJarhead

Got the big tarp on the cabin in time to avoid the snow!

OlJarhead

Thanks to a buddy I had 3 deep cycle RV batteries for power :)

The heater used about 0.30 amps (checked using an amp clamp) when kicking on, then dropped to 0.1 amps and finally to 0.04 amps before shutting down.  It would run at 0.04-0.1 amps for as much as an hour at a time.

OlJarhead

When we arrived on site it was 29 degrees and falling.  The snow on the ground was fairly fresh (within 24 hours) and we knew that it could drop to 15 degrees at night or worse.  When leaving home I'd double checked temperature drops and saw that in standard atmospheric conditions the drop per 1000 feet was 3.57 degrees...our cabin site is about 2500 feet higher then our house and 160 miles north of us.  We expected the cold, but weren't sure if the preparations would suffice.

We got started right away and with a dozen trips in the last few months the boys are really into the routine.  They got stuff moved, the trailer popped up, the batteries in place and everything ticked right along.  We were set up by 1PM or shortly there after and the temp had dropped to 24 degrees.

We had picked up a 30 foot by 50 foot tarp on the way up and began to get it on the cabin since the shorter 20x30 tarp wasn't big enough to cover the roof.  This was tough becuase of the ten foot walls!  I had to stand on a ladder and hand up a corner to one son then get over to the other side with the ladder and hand up the other corner and finally I had to move to the middle and push the tarp over the tails of the rafters where it caught up.  Fun fun fun.

Once we had the tarp over the rafter tails I got inside the cabin and up on the loft and we began the dance of the tarp :)  Run to the right, pull hard, jog to the left and yank away...slowly moving the ladder, pulling, pushing, cursing, stuffing, cursing some more and we had the big tarp all the way over the 12x12 pitched roof :)  Then we shifted it until it covered most of each gabled end and was reasonably even on both long sides and finally got down and tied it off in the blowing snow.

Temperature 20 degrees.

OlJarhead

It was COLD!  But we had the clothes and the heaters to handle it -- inside ;)

I took a ride up the hill to look around -- it's cold but beautiful and peaceful :)

OlJarhead

Damn that could be a post card :)  Or a Christmas card :)  Didn't realize how nice a pic that was until just now :)

You gotta love owning a peace of heaven huh?

OlJarhead

A view South East from the top :)  It's about 8:00AM and cold out but can you blame me?

OlJarhead

We did actually get some work done....can you spot the mistake though?  DOH!

We managed to get the collar ties up (5 of 7) and a rafter pair up (before we ran out of usable 2x6 for rafters) and some blocking in -- and while I'm at it, I think I'm a moron....2x4 blocking stock for 2x6 rafters?  I think I goofed there -- someone tell me what I'm missing.

We got most of this gabled end wall done and then tied the tarp down really well.

We had tried to put in the felt but it was so cold it cracked on is so we stopped that too.

OlJarhead

There's actually more then one mistake there... ???

OK so we managed to get a bigger tarp on and we're hopeful it holds for a few months -- yes a few months.  I will get back to check on the place but with negative temps I don't think it would be too safe to stay over the weekend in a tent trailer.