4-h

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, January 12, 2009, 10:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

When I was a kid, I was involved with our local 4-club, though by highschool I seldom could make the meetings because they were at the same time as Tuesday night band practice.  I never got to be as active in it as I would have liked to, though I did train dogs and sew garments for the dress review, etc.  After we get settled someplace, I was thinking about volunteering with the local 4-H club and trying to get involved even though my kids aren't quite old enough to join yet, that way I'd already know a little more about what all is available by the time they are old enough to get involved.  Do any of you volunteer with your local clubs?  What kinds of projects do y'all get involved in?   (Drew, I think you are involved with 4-H, aren't you?)

harry51

When I was a kid, I was in a 4H woodworking program. We used the high school woodshop, which was very well equipped. Had a super time, wished we could meet every evening!

Recently, I was able to help a local man who has been running a great shooting program for years as a 4H leader. Unfortunately, in the last few years the official 4H policy here in CA has been to kind of discourage shooting programs, and what little money was available dried up. This guy was buying ammo, clay pigeons, you name it, out of his pocket. I became aware of this situation, and applied for a grant from the Friends of the NRA to help him out. As a result, he got around 7K to buy some electric trap machines, ammo, guns for those who don't have their own, clays, etc. The program is still going strong, and there's lots of interest.

Of course, the biggest 4H thing around here is animal husbandry. Lots of kids raise sheep, cattle, hogs, horses, etc., and show and sell them at the county fair. That really gives them some insight into the realities of the food chain, and the economics of farming/ranching. Anyway, I think 4H has a lot to offer, and all kids I've met that are 4H'ers or FFA members have been well behaved and a pleasure to be around, unlike many that you see at the mall, etc.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

NM_Shooter

Kudos Homey!

Do get involved as a volunteer.  You have important skills to share, and 4H would be a great place to help.  

My kids don't do 4H.  They are involved in MESA (a math / science club), and they play chess for their school teams and in state tournaments as well.  I "coach" the middle school chess club.  "Coach" is a loose term in this instance.  I basically haul their stuff around.

Other kid school activities include cross country, volleyball, basketball, juggling club, cotillion, church volunteer work, and drama.  Pshew.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

I was amazed at the juggling skills.   :o
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Never could learn to juggle...  :(  your kids are busy!  I belonged to the chess club in high school - my dad taught me & we'd play together...  had a boyfriend I used to play chess with a lot - a challenging game, I should look on the internet for an online game.

Never was involved with FFA as we lived in town most of my grade & highschool yrs but did take piano & ballet lessons, had church & Sunday school, Brownies & Girl Scouts; also sewed most of my clothes after my mom had me take lessons from a friend of hers for a oouple weeks in the summer when I was 11 y/o - so kept pretty busy growing up.

Never did get to take any fun classes in highschool like art, choir, home ec, etc. - had to take the academic courses in prep for college like foreign languages.  At that time girls couldn't take woodshop or autoshop  >:(  We also didn't have sports teams - just Girls Athletic Club after school that I belonged to & the city swim team.

It helps for kids to keep busy!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on January 12, 2009, 12:00:20 PM
I was amazed at the juggling skills.   :o

Hah... me too.  She is an interesting kid.  Likes to try everything, becomes obsessed with it for awhile and then learns new things.  Latest obsession is Rubick's cube.  Her best time is 51 seconds.  She asked for a compound bow for Christmas, and wants to learn karate lessons.  She learned fencing last year (foil and saber?  I can't remember).  I like the fact that she likes to do different things, and I support her in her evaluations.  The only thing that she has done for years that she seems to do all the time is piano.

In all honesty, I hate the fact that I have fallen into the crazy kid-activity rat race.  But I tell my kids that if they make good grades they can be active in any club they want.

My little one is my fishing buddy.  Loves the outdoors, and is always ready to help build or change vehicle oil or catch and cook dinner.  She is complex.. she passionately loves animals, but does not object to eating them.  She is young but already "gets it" when it comes to being kind to animals without having to be a vegetarian.

Anyway... back to the thread somewhat, we should all consider ourselves obligated to get kids away from the game consoles and teach them skills.  Or at the very least support organizations that do so by providing donations when possible.

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Homegrown good for you.  My son has ben in 4H for about 5 years.  His favorite part is 4H camp held each year for a week in the mountains.  He also plays banjo and alot of the other kids play as well so at Camp they have their own little concert.  Being that we live in the "rural" he has taken to animal husbandry.  This is his 2nd year with the pigs.  It keeps him out of trouble and teaches him responsibility. 

He has presented a project to the State Fair every year he has been in the club and has gotten a blue ribbon each year.  Pretty good considering that the participants are from all over the state.  Speaking of State Fair .  He wants to show cattle.  It's not that I don't want him to it is just the expense and time involved.  At the least you have to stay there 4 nights & days.  And the transportation to and from.  But it is hard to get your money out of the animal with the feed that is required and wintering it over which I don't like to do. 

There is so much that kids can get involved in while in 4H.  Maybe not in your area but would be worth to check
around and maybe incorporate some of the other clubs activities in your. 

As for the age.  My daughter has started this year.  I think they have to be in the first grade.  They start as a "clover bud".  At least this is one activity that they are going the same direction at the same time.  ;D

Last years project.

sparks

Kinda was always fond of farm things...mom came from a large farm family. She taught me a lot of good stuff.

But I ended up in the Civil Air Patrol.

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......