oil contaminated wood

Started by firefox, December 30, 2018, 10:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

Not sure where to post this, so here goes. A while back I put in a layer of 5/8 plywood flooring over an existing old beat up floor. (I know, I probably should have removed the old floor first, but I figured this would also stiffen up the floor so I could lay tile since this is the kitchen.)
All went well And I was happy with the results. Now for the problem:
I am partially disabled so I had a helper with these projects. He inadvertently put a bucket of tools which had a small leak in the bottom and some oil got in that bucket which leaked onto the floor and went unnoticed for a long time since my plans were on hold .
Does anyone know of any neutralizing agent that I can treat this wood with so that the contact glue  for the tiles will work, or do I just rip up that panel and replace?
Thanks for any help!
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

akwoodchuck

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Don_P

I think you'll spend more with dubious results than it would take to R&R it.

MountainDon

I had a similar thing happen with about a pint of chain saw oil in the garage attic. It slowly leaked and soaked an area of the osb floor. It soaked deeply into the osb strands.  I ripped the sheet out after I found the oil would soak back into anything porous that was left on it for any period of time. I don't think you will get anything to stick to the oily wood.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

Thanks guys!!! That's what I thought. R&R it is.
You guys are really great!

Not ceramic tiles. They are the same type of stuff used to make computer room removable tiles. I got them years ago for another project and these were left over. They are super durable and take quite a beating. Aprox 1/8 inch thick. Usually glued to a metal structure which is about
2' x 2' x 2". You then use a suction cup like tool to lift the "floor tile" up from a framework to get at all the cables running under the floor.
I used these to tile a kitchen in another house and they worked out very well. If I remember right they were a GE product which also came in 4' x 8' sheets.
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824