Propane Range Conversion

Started by flyingvan, November 27, 2014, 05:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingvan

Maybe this is common knowledge  ???

After converting the range for AnnaMarie's Cottage from natural gas to LPG, ALL the burners ran hot.  THe lowest settings were all too high. 
     Turns out there's a simple adjustment.  You just pull the control knobs off and right down the middle of the shaft there's an adjustment screw.

Here's the article that explained-- http://research.rolfes.org/home/adjusting-the-simmer-flame-on-a-gas-stove/ .  Just like the article said, none of my screwdrivers would fit.  They recommend filing down a screwdriver.  What worked for me was the little 'key' that comes with a keyless interior doorknob---the thing you can stick in the hole if you need to unlock the door.  Some of them have a flattened end and they fit perfect to make this adjustment
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

Our brand new Frigidaire Range you have to change out the jets per the burner function.  Two are high temp quick boil burners.  One Simmer burner, one regular burner and the long grilling center burner.  You have to look up in the manual or on line for the proper jetting size. 

BTW The jets do not come with the stove as they once did.  We had to return to the store and pick them up.  Then reschedule another service call.  The store forgot to send them after I questioned them several times  about sending them.  This caused another service call.  GRRR!!!

BTW Number Two - running the propane but not the trenching and setting the two regulators and changing out the jets and adjusting the oven and the TWO service calls was only $800+ and that was without the propane. GRRR!!!!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

flyingvan

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned all the required steps for a propane conversion, thanks Rick....This unit, though bought used on Craigslist, still had the kit taped to the back.  There's a pressure regulator change, then orifices for each oven and burner.  The flame height is a minor detail.
   Other causes of yellow flames are improper air/gas mixture, improper jet sizes, or restricted air supply
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

Thanks Van I was trying to think of orifices.  Zippo It left my brain.....

We looked all over for them.  I gave up and called.  Oh no their there at the store.  Frigidaire no longer attaches then.  Then when we got them I seem why.  There was like 12 of them......  and instructions to look it up where they go.  That was fine other than of course we live no where near there almost 50 miles away.  I wanted to say just mail them but the service man would be in the area on Monday this was Friday. 

Footnote the oven does not get a change...... ???
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

... but the oven usually has a separate air inlet adjustment.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: MountainDon on November 27, 2014, 09:25:10 PM
... but the oven usually has a separate air inlet adjustment.

This one did get an air adjustment but I figured it would get a change as well. BTW way it handled Thanksgiving well.   ;D