I miss 3DHA

Started by Jared Drake, April 10, 2016, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

Years ago, I lost 3DHA when my old computer finally died. I haven't messed with any software since then, but we're about to get serious with building a house on our land. We're heading to the bank for pre-approval and then to the planning commission. I'd like to take an exact layout of our house, but can't find anything online that is as easy as 3DHA was. Nothing downloadable will work with my Linux, as far as I know. I've got the Little House plans and the Universal plans, but need to tweak them. Does anyone know any website that is as easy as 3DHA was? My only other option is drawing things out on paper. Thank goodness, years ago I printed off all the little appliance and furniture icons to 1/4" scale so I can draw a plan and just lay the appliances on the paper and see how things look. I'm not real happy with that idea, though.

knopfarrow

Sketchup is remarkably easy and powerful and perfect for your needs. Unfortunately they only offer Mac or Windows for download. Any chance of switching (or emulating) an operating system..?
"One is not a pattern. Two is not a trend." -me

ChugiakTinkerer

I am running Linux Mint 17.1 and have no problems running Sketchup in Wine.  Sketchup is pretty freaking awesome especially if you add a few plugins such as HomeBuilder and perhaps Medeek Truss Plugin.  The last is developed and supported by forum member Medeek  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=8979.

There is a decent package that runs on Linux called Sweet Home 3D that provides a small bit of the functionality you could get with 3DHA.  I use it for basic floorplan work and once I've got a plan I like I move over to Sketchup and start looking at the nitty gritty details.  Like any powerful app, Sketchup takes a while to climb the steep learning curve.

Edit to add: Rereading your post, it looks to me like Sweet Home 3D is exactly what you need.  I have it showing as installed with Synaptic, it may be available in the distro directly.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Jared Drake

I actually found and downloaded SweetHome yesterday, thanks! It's still not as useful as 3DHA. When I add appliances in Sweet Home, it doesn't just show the outlines and dimensions. It actually puts a 3D type icon that extends from one room to the next sometimes. Oh well, I've got an engineer's ruler and some ledger paper. Guess I'll just go old skool.

hpinson

HomeDesigner, which John originally rendered his Countryplans in, is still quite good. It runs on Windows, maybe under Wine, and is very affordable at $99. For quick sketching it's great.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-suite/

The step up Chief Architect for rendering actual plans, is great, and unaffordable for the casual user. 

Jared Drake

I have no clue what wine is.

azgreg

Quote from: Jared Drake on April 11, 2016, 09:10:54 PM
I have no clue what wine is.

https://www.winehq.org/

QuoteWine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.