Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

My old dead uncle taught me scribing years ago.  It is a very valuable skill. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Gorgeous!  Bet they are very pleased - an odd set-up you had to work with for the fireplace.  Looking at it, at 1st I didn't even notice that the whole fireplace had been built out all the way up the wall - must have been a challenge to design the mantel - really improves the look of the room  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

Quote from: Sassy on November 02, 2008, 12:10:25 PM

Gorgeous!  Bet they are very pleased - an odd set-up you had to work with for the fireplace.  Looking at it, at 1st I didn't even notice that the whole fireplace had been built out all the way up the wall - must have been a challenge to design the mantel - really improves the look of the room  8)

Thanks Sassy. They haven't seen it yet. Sad part is the husbands in intensive care down in the city. He had / has a brain tumor , they cut what they could out a few months ago , and he's been on the chemo end of treatment and got shingles or chicken pox they virus got into his brain. I think it's touch and go , as other things like pneumonia has set in along with a few other things.

I hope she likes it and maybe it might be a bright spot in her life right now.  Or when she gets home.    :(

As far as the design , it was a collaboration of ideas , the grids on the corners are like a picture frame they have , I', not crazy about the color , and the blotchiness in the Cherry. But it's not mine and the  color matches the new kitchen cabinets. I'm not to fond of the wall colors either, but then again I just try to build what the client wants.

One of the big issues with staining Cherry is that blotchy look , you can cut that down by using a sanding sealer like Benite , BUT then the stain doesn't want to "take" / get dark enought. In hind sight we should have used Alder maybe?

But all in all I'm happy with the results.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

Quote from: PEG688 on November 02, 2008, 03:02:02 PM
Thanks Sassy. They haven't seen it yet. Sad part is the husbands in intensive care down in the city. He had / has a brain tumor , they cut what they could out a few months ago , and he's been on the chemo end of treatment and got shingles or chicken pox they virus got into his brain. I think it's touch and go , as other things like pneumonia has set in along with a few other things.

I hope she likes it and maybe it might be a bright spot in her life right now.  Or when she gets home.    :(

As far as the design , it was a collaboration of ideas , the grids on the corners are like a picture frame they have , I', not crazy about the color , and the blotchiness in the Cherry. But it's not mine and the  color matches the new kitchen cabinets. I'm not to fond of the wall colors either, but then again I just try to build what the client wants.

One of the big issues with staining Cherry is that blotchy look , you can cut that down by using a sanding sealer like Benite , BUT then the stain doesn't want to "take" / get dark enought. In hind sight we should have used Alder maybe?

But all in all I'm happy with the results.

Hopefully he will get better... 

Only PEG would notice any of the irregularities...   ::)  I didn't notice them...  looks great to me  [cool]

PEG688

I have to critique my work , to get better you have to push yourself. Thats one thing that draws me to this forum , to get better at some thing , typing , posting , describing how to do work etc.

Here's a better photo, I think,  cleaned the lens ,  ;)

glenn kangiser

Did you use the self timer so you could get in the picture too, PEG?  rofl

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 02, 2008, 07:26:06 PM

Did you use the self timer so you could get in the picture too, PEG?  rofl

Good one  d* Glenn  c*

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on November 02, 2008, 06:39:35 PM

Here's a better photo, I think,  cleaned the lens ,  ;)

That removed some of the splotchiness in the wood stain.   ;)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Farm / kitchen table out of reclamed Douglas Fir. Tapered legs , bread board ends.

42"(W) x 72" (L) x 31" (H)

Photobuckets a lil slow tonight. Maybe all those folks loading photos of the new POTUS.   Photos coming. I hope. 

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Thanks Mtn D , the tables didn't attract many comments , how about these small storage cabinets?

Plain sliced Red Oak , with a Red Oak continuous pull.

Table in the house with the chairs around it , the painter will stain to match the Cherry chairs , the nail holes will be left alone , or so we think. They owner sort of likes them , we'll see after it's stained if she still does.

The table has one coat of Benite on it. A sanding sealer made by Daly's.

glenn kangiser

I think the table looks great, PEG.

On the storage cabinets I see special hinges. 

1. I guess they stay totally hidden and hold the door full open when opened?   

2. Is there a special trick to putting them on and reason you would want to use them?

Nice work on them too.  Your projects are always totally professional looking.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 08, 2008, 11:19:41 AM

I think the table looks great, PEG.

On the storage cabinets I see special hinges. 

1. I guess they stay totally hidden and hold the door full open when opened?   

2. Is there a special trick to putting them on and reason you would want to use them?

Nice work on them too.  Your projects are always totally professional looking.

They are Blum (Euro) hinges . They can be had for most doors , theres a whole line of them for different overlays , amount of opening capability .  They have a soft close option, non - spring loaded options for use with touch latches , etc . They are VERY adjustable , up / down , in / out , left / right . Great hinges IMO. They are other brands of hinges in the "Euro" design , Blum is a brand name and in my experience make the "best" hinges and plates , easiest to understand , install , adjust. etc.

You bore a hole in the back of the door for the hinge cup to fit in.

Google Blum or Euro hinges and you'll see all the info. There's to many options to describe here.

That answers 1 & 2 I think.  :)

You'd almost think I could make a living doing this stuff eh  ;)

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Thanks, PEG.  I appreciate you trying to educate me.  

I am rather short in the patience end for fine craftsmanship but it has its place and you are a master at it.

I have used pieces of firehose and leather for hinges on garden gates. d*

PEG688

Quote from: Whitlock on November 08, 2008, 11:58:16 AM

You are quite the craftsman. Wondeful work [cool]

Thanks you should add some of your stuff here like the mallets , this isn't  a "just my  (peg-688) stuff" thread it's free for all to post on. The good thing about it is it's a "one stop" shoppers place to look at ideas.   

MountainDon

L really like the finger pull strip for the doors. I don't generally like handles and the way those strips are formed should make opening the doors easy without marring the visible finish. Always seems to be a shortcoming with no handles.

Blum is King when it comes to hinges and the like. Once you have the bit and a jig to drill the holes there is no other way to hang cabinet doors. They make nice pocket door assemblies too. I love cabinets with no visible hardware. I have one I built that uses hidden push latches (whatever they're called)... spring loaded magnetic things so there aren't even handles showing. I posted pictures a long time ago I think.

ScottA

MountainDon

Detail shots, FWIW

The black thingy to the upper right is spring loaded. It's in the outermost postion. When the door is pressed closed it retracts and latches in. The magnets hold the door closed. Press on the door and release and the latch pushes the door open, and there ya' go. The cycle repeats.

Red Oak solids, Walnut inset, Zebrawood veneer over MDF

Sassy

Jens

Here is a pine cabinet that I built while we lived in New Hampshire.  I built it to sell to a local shop, or at end of driveway, but got to excited with the carving tools!  now it serves as the pantry in our kitchen.  I miss the quality of the pine in New England, barely even have to flip through the stack at Home Depot to find a clear 1x12 there.

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

??? ??? Hmmm.... must be really clear pine, seems like I'm looking clear through it.   ;D

I think the image link is missing.

Jens

Yeah...almost transparent.  Pictures wont load right now, so I thought I'd just wait until I get the lowdown and edit the post.  Nice eye for detail there though!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

Load to Photobucket first then copy th IMG tag to your  message from there - it will show here then.

Jens

Yeah...thanks Glenn.  Had to google it to figure it out.  prolly one of the youngest guys here at 29, but one of the biggest tech-tards!

The wife asked me to build a couple of pantry cabinets a year ago.  She just wanted some pine slapped together.  I can't do anything the simple way though!  Ended up with two heirlooms here, built out of poplar and pine, with mahogany splines showing in the sides.  square mahog pegs cover the screws.  carving tools came out again, supplying the roses in the backsplashes.  still havent stained them, cant decide on a finish yet, and they are being used.  Will have punched tin doors one of these days too.  I always start off with a plan, and then it evolves from there.  The funnest part was the multi-thickness pieces for backsplash and bottom apron.  These will prolly go to the girls when they are old enough.

I sure do miss having that shop!  Here in TN, I have to set up a temp shop in the backyard, and break it down every night so the tools don't get stolen!