Re: 20 x 24 Cottage (updated with interior pics)

Started by Rob72, March 21, 2007, 11:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum, megan.

There is an e-mail envelope button under their screen name if they accept e-mail, otherwise if you see that they are here quite often, the text balloon button next to the envelop pix will send them a personal message they can get here if they look, or you can click on their name and on their profile is a line that says send this member a personal message.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

megan67

Thanks for the advice Glenn, I sent them a message on the e-mail, I hope to receive an answer ::)
Jochen, the stairs are very nice and original. You gave me a veru fresh idea  [cool]

Jochen

Okay, long time promised, here are some pictures of my adventure building a cabin. I hope that this time the forum won't crash again and we will loose them again.  ;)

The beginning in 2004. I don't have any pictures in the moment available digging the piers. But I have used BigFoot footing and 8" SonoTubes. All digging was made by shovel and pickaxe and the concrete mixed by hand in a big bucket.

One of my favorite pictures. Robby, then five years old in the foreground and Charly, then seven years old in the background posing

Moni, my former wife cutting the support for the center beam. She is a real wizzard with the chain saw

Just in time for winter

Jochen

2005, the extension wing. My future workshop/playground  ;D

Moni, always with a smile, ah cigarette

Redoverfarm

Great looking job on the stairs.  Waterfront to boot on the cabin.

Jochen

Still 2005   :) Cedar Siding

And again winter

Jochen

2006 Interior

The fire place. The start

Between

Finished, still to be oiled

First coat of oil

Bathroom
Jenny, my oldest daughter taking the first bath

Again, first coat of oil

Jochen

2006, more interior pics

View through the stair well

Floor tiles

Stiebel Eltron Tank Less Water Heater

Jochen

For 2007 there are still some of the kitchen and stair pictures on the first page and not much else was accomplished in that year.

Oh, I finally moved in!  :)

Some more stair pictures:

Jochen

So we are coming now to 2008. It was time to correct some errors and finally do the drainage, add an exterior staircase to the big playground above the workshop, built the decks, protect the area below the house and built a wood and tractor shed.

As you can see, I haven't put any stain or protection on my cedar siding. This is now weathering nicely.

Footings for the staircase

One of the building inspectors

More of them

Jochen

Still 2008  ;)

The tractor and wood shed

The stair

No more wind will blow under my cabin!!!

View from the deck. Can you smell the Atlantic???  ;D

Jochen

And finally we built a wood shed for Moni around our old 20' Sea Container as well. We had all our belongings in this container when we immigrated to Canada 2001.

Jochen

And this is finally a picture of our property taken 2003. A year before I started building my cabin. Moni and our girls are living in the multi coloured house. Her new Saltbox will be placed behind that and the old house will then be teared down. But that has to wait until 2009.

And sorry, I couldn't resist. My new toy I bought this summer  :) And my two little gems, Robby and Charly

glenn kangiser

Thanks for all the pix and update, Jochen. 

We are on a completely different system with the forum now ao I think it is pretty stable.

Nice looking kids and of course, tractor. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

karnf

Thanks so much for the pics Jochen. I have waiting for you to return. Your building work is
so thorough and unique that you are really a gem on this site. Everything you have built into
your cabin is quality to the highest level. Is that hickory flooring on your floors?
Also, you stoned the fireplace. Looking at your kitchen area stone counter; is the fireplace
connected to the kitchen counter area or seperate? I was trying to imagine what your interior
would look like when I opened the front door looking in. Could you post an angle shot of this?
Welcome back; we need your creative ideas and opinions.

Jochen

A gem??? I don't know. I believe my girls would rather call me Grumpy  :)

The floor is the cheapest hardwood floor I could lay my hands on. It's called Rustic Birch. It's the knotty part of the Birch planks which the manufacturer could not sell otherwise, I guess. But everybody who saw the floor in person agrees that it is looking way better then the more expensive ones, due to it's rustic nature. Here is a link to the spec sheet. http://www.boisbsl.com/2007/upload/essences/25_pdf_en_.pdf

The fireplace is standing nearly in the centre of the first floor which is one open space. And yes it is connected to the kitchen counter. I will shoot some pictures when I'm back home. But that will be after Dec. 19th. The kitchen is also a two room thing. The fridge and stove are located in the 10' x 17' wing which connects the 20' x 24' cabin to the 24' x 24' workshop/garage. I will see if I find a floorplan to post as well.

Jochen

karnf

You are very humble too! You see Jochen; you have given so much info about your building process which
I know has helped so many people who want to build small cabins but needed your unique ideas to get them
started. You have showed us that you can build small but have a cabin look like a castle with creative ideas
without the expensive cost and not make such a large footprint on nature by keeping it small. 
Looking forward to your added portfolio. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family in your cozy
cabin.
thanks again

waggin

Quote from: Jochen on December 02, 2008, 03:32:52 PM

The floor is the cheapest hardwood floor I could lay my hands on. It's called Rustic Birch. It's the knotty part of the Birch planks which the manufacturer could not sell otherwise, I guess. But everybody who saw the floor in person agrees that it is looking way better then the more expensive ones, due to it's rustic nature. Here is a link to the spec sheet. http://www.boisbsl.com/2007/upload/essences/25_pdf_en_.pdf

I used a rustic maple grade in my existing house which I'm trying to sell in order to build my cabin, and I get big compliments from everyone as well.  Keep in mind this is a suburban Seattle view property, and real estate agents and potential buyers are constantly asking me what the flooring is.  As I'm sure you know, the more uniform and "defect" free wood is, the more expensive it is.  Let's see, I can buy the cheaper stuff that has more character, or spend a bunch more for something that might as well be Pergo...hmmm.   ???
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

diyfrank

Thats a nice looking place you have there. Great job.
Home is where you make it

John Raabe

Great report and most interesting project.

Lots of person hours in there but the results speak for themselves. :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

secordpd

Jochan,
I saved a picture several years ago it seems, of a woman standing next to a log center pole in a unfinished house.  I was never quite sure where I had saved it from.   Fast forward 2009 and I'm checking out your pics and low and behold - there is this exact pic I saved!!  The one of Moni next to the log pole in the house  -  just way to funny...
You are a craftsman and your craftsmanship is only something I aspire to achieve on some pieces of my home. Esp. the stone tub surround(because I would attempt something like that).

I'm also envious of your view, I'm a water person, and even though I have my own little pond, your view is just stunning ;D
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.