20x30 Single Story cottage

Started by John Raabe, October 26, 2006, 12:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Here is a house I'm starting to get pictures from. The owners panelized the walls in a barn and got them up in one day.

Click to see the Posting to the Owner Builder Gallery.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

benevolance

I love the windows...Lots of light for a small cottage

Also impressive they went with real plywood...

Good stuff.... I think it is awesome to pre assemble the walls as much as possible then put them up....You can work nights after work in the dark in the comfort of the back yard or garage....And then off to the site on Saturday and get er done all week-end long.

Pretty amazing what we can do when we use the old head for something other than a hat rack :)

glenn kangiser

Wow - Peter - You have given me a cool idea for a hat rack. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jared Drake

Wow, what a great idea. Panelizing the walls. I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Although, it does seem to waste a stud here and there. But, I guess it's a give and take. I'd lose a stud now and then to be able to do that in my garage, since where I want to build is 30 min. away.
Jared

John Raabe

Just updated the Gallery page. Cody sent some new photos.

20x30 Single Story cottage

Hey guys and gals... Do we have any suggestions for Cody and her siding issue? I'm a bit worried that the metal roofing looks like it was stopped right at the edge of the framing and will not extend beyond the siding and the facia trim board (whatever these end up to be). Perhaps a short strip of metal roofing can just be added later.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

The roofing company should have corner trim available to go over the edge and over the sheeting.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn,

Hat rack idea...Dare I ask? ::)

Cody

Hey Folks,
I acually have corner trim up now over the 3/8th siding I just didn't havethe pics downloaded yet. We were going to tear the siding away this weekend but now Im thinking we will just leave it until we can afford to replace it. Winters here in Kansas are really dry so Im hoping it wont rot, it just looks stupid!! All warped and wavy. We really want to do a rainscreen with cedar siding or barn wood siding next spring. What Im worried about is that we screwed the trim on to the roof at a point wear it was a perfect 90 degrees with the 3/8th siding so now if we go back with furring strips (rainscreen) and cedar which is quite a bit thicker than 3/8th than our roof evan with the trim is to short.  The only thing I can think of is to take the trim off and move is farther out to cover an extra 2 inches on each gable end, but then there will be holes in 4 of the panels and the ridge cap will be to short (4 inches) :'( Help if you have any ideas.

Cody

Just another picture

glenn kangiser

We often miss a screw or two on steel buildings.  If your sheeting had caulking between sheets you can use some of it to plug the holes - if not some silicone rubber - maybe matching color should do it.  Ridge cap can just be lap spliced and caulked just like on the rest of the ridge - extend as needed - gives you a couple extra joints but after a few days you'll forget they're there.  Corner trim may be able to be moved to the top of the high rib - if that is not far enough you may need to get two more sheets and rip them using each sheet to do two sides.  

glenn kangiser

In my mind, Peter, I got this cool image of maybe a small multi-branched tree - 5 feet tall or so with the branches cut off and a head on the end of each stick to hold hats.  They wouldn't have to be real -- maybe made out of cob or something -- when I'm feeling sculpty.

Sassy

Cody, way to go!  I am IMPRESSED!  And with a new baby & toddler... Looks great  8-)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

tjm73

That's a nice little place. I'll try to folow this one to see how the interior ends up looking. Looks like and open floor plan in the making.  :)

bartholomew

QuoteThey wouldn't have to be real -- maybe made out of cob or something

I don't know Glenn. As John has pointed out, imitation materials might look ok at first but as they age they look less and less like the real thing.

glenn kangiser

I think I have that problem myself -- Oh - wait - I am the real thing--- that excuse won't work. :'(

FrankInWI

Question for tech experts..... the headers over the windows.  I'm more familiar with seeing fatter headers.  Is there something about the way these are done that these are sufficient?  Oh...I imagine it has something to do with the 5 1/2 " depth, right? 

Thanks
Frank
god helps those who help them selves

FrankInWI

Oh yeh..... this is so great thus far, I hope we get to see more of the inside and inside layout over time.  
god helps those who help them selves

LUFFINGHAM

Hi....English guy here currently snowbirding in Mexico, but having gotten a nice lot in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.....Your idea of panelising in a modular fashion your lovely cabin is an idea that has struck me that would suit my circumstances very well.

I'm sure from your notes in the forum that you have acquired numerous tips that i would very much welcome hearing about...it would give me a step up the learning curve that you have obviously gone through....it looks like a great project that you are doing in Kansas [my e.mail addtess is dcluffingham@hotmail.com.....or by way of the forum is fine]. Many thanks in advance, DEREK

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Derek.  Hope you find things here you can use.  Cody did a great job.

youngins

I emailed Cody directly and she replied the following to me:

The basic panel is 4x8 5/8th inch plywood, which if this is a rustic cabin you can use 5/8 t1-11 plywood siding and just be done in one step.

I cut 2 studs to 90" and 2 at 48" nail them all together to create a big rectangle dimensions 93" x 48."  93" because each 48" 2x4 or 2x6 is 1.5" thick. Then, off set the plywood .75 inch in on one side and hanging over on the other. The plywood is 96" long so you will have 1.5 inches on both the top and bottom hanging over.

The panels are designed to sit on a sill plate and also have a top plate to connect them to each other. The sill and top plate take up the last 1.5 inches of the plywood. So now you have your basic panel - you can either put a stud in at 24"oc or you can build in a window or door. The corners where a little more tricky bacuase you need plywod to cover the end of the other panel. So, in my case, I used 2x6 plus 5/8 plywood, which is 5.5 inches thick for the stud plus .5 inches thick for the plywood - so my plywood over hang 6 inches.

Just one word of caution, after you make a few panels it gets really easy and quick the tendancy might be to not pay enough attention and overhand the plywood on the wrong side of the 48"x93" frame. I did this twice and it sucks. I also sat down for about 4 hours and drew each panel with a ruler and pencil on paper so I knew how many regular panels and how many windows etc.

If you do these right, putting them up will only take about 4 hours. It took longer to get the sill plate strait (slab guy put the bolts in crooked) than it took to put up the panels on the sill plate and attach the top plate.
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

desdawg

Looking good Cody. For a brief time I could get plywood for less than OSB. I think it is switching back now as OSB is coming back down. Go figure. Let's go blow up another country to rebuild so we can pay more.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

benevolance

Luffingham

Where on the Cape is your lot... I am from the Mainland in Nova Scotia...an hour from Halifax....Taxes are steep there man...Gorgeous views and countryside in Cape Breton....

LUFFINGHAM

HI GLENN.......THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE WARM WELCOME, I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR WEB SITE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS OR SO [FOUND IT FASCINATING AND FULL OF SOLID INFORMATION, TIPS AND IDEAS] BUT NEVER HAD ANYTHING USEFUL TO CONTRIBUTE OR ASK....! [UNTIL NOW] BUT CODY'S SYSTEM REALLY TURNED ME ON TO UTILISE NEXT SUMMER, SO HERE I AM WITH A REAL MOTIVE NOW.

YOU WILL REALISE, I'M SURE, THAT CONSTRUCTION IN ENGLAND [WHERE ALL OF MY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE ORIGINATES FROM] IS VERY DIFFERENT [IN THE EXTREME] EVEN TERMS ARE QUITE DIFFERENT TOO SO ITS TAKEN ME A WHILE TO CATCH ON !!

HI BENEVOLANCE......I HAVE MY LOT ON THE ISLE of MADAME, ABOUT 25 MINS FROM PORT HAWKESBURY....ITS A VERY UNSPOILT AREA [ARCADIAN ] WITH COASTAL OR LAKE VIEWS EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK...!

HI YOUNGINS......MANY THANKS FOR THE POSTED TRANSCRIPT OF CODY'S NOTES TO YOURSELF, AND THE MANY PICS YOU SENT BY E.MAIL....HELPS CONSIDERABLY IN UNDERSTANDING HER IDEA [SIMPLE AND VERY EFFECTIVE BY ALL ACCOUNTS]

I'M HOPING TO PUT A POST & PIER FOUNDATION IN NEXT SUMMER ON THE LOT AND AT THE SAME TIME START THE MODULE BUILDING IN A NEARBY BARN, FOR SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THE ENCHINADA....[WHICH IS STILL UNDER CONSIDERATION].... I LIKE THE IDEA OF SMALLER UNITS THAT CAN BE MADE DRY FAIRLY EASILY, RATHER THAN A BIGGER SINGULAR BUILDING THAT MIGHT BE OPEN TO THE ELEMENTS IF TIME CONSTRAINTS DEMAND.

glenn kangiser

Well, Derek, in reality, it's John's website but he can't control me so I just have my way with it, and try to keep the trash out so we can all talk about anything we want, share, teach and learn.  

Glad you find it useful and I want to encourage anyone who is sitting on the side to pop in here and tell us of your interests and ask questions if we can help.  Then we can all benefit from each other.  A win-win situation.  Not many of those left. :)

tj4orange

Any new info or pics on this home.  I would really like to see finish pics and interrior pics!  I would love her take on the who process, time frame, cost etc.  Any help and info would be greatly appriciated.  Also...would this plan work on a basement.  It seems to me that it would be just as easy to do just a little more work on the floor aspect.  Would you basically do it like a crawls space and is that included with the plans?!