1.5 Story opened up in size

Started by Tony(Guest), May 23, 2006, 07:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony(Guest)

I've been digging thru the old posts and reading what I can about the 1.5 story many are building.  I really like the overall plans but would like a little larger plan, something like a 24'x32' or 24'x36'.  I have some building experience, mostly with small out buildings and pole barns.  By opening the width of the plan from 20' to 24', I figure a center support girder would have to be installed down the length.  I recently was in a friends unfinished basement on a new stick built 2 story house looking around.  His house has a steel I beam full length (his floor plan is 24'x32') with 2"x8" floor joist 16" o.c.  

My question is, if the 1.5 story is built 24' wide, would the only real change be a center girder added both under the floor joists and down the center of the half story?  Would three 2"x10" together be ample for the girder (what about three 2"x8" or a 6"x8" beam for the 1/2 story girder support?)  Along with the girder addition, I was thinking about two additional girder support posts.

Ohhh, when the time comes, I will be building this over a full basement.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

glenn-k

That would be a completely different animal, Tony, requiring work by an engineer or architect to be designed safely.