New forum look

Started by PEG688, October 26, 2011, 06:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Not crazy about the new color's , Glenn / Mtn. D are you going to tweak the color / looks??    Seems hard to read, is it change-able at our computer / ned used level?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Maybe it takes a day or so to get used to it. I've been using this version on a test forum for months, I do seem to recall that I did not like it at first. However, I have preferred it for some time. I can read the links that used to be buttons or tabs much easier now that they are displayed on a pale background.

However, all is not lost for those who do not like change. It may take a day or so, but there will be a choice. At least I think there will be. I'll advise when, where and how.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

I like it. Much easier to see everything. Then again i yavent been used to the old one for years

firefox

Seems ok to me, and I have eye problems.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

duncanshannon

Its important to note that its as a result of a major version (1.x -> 2.x) of the forum software. The new version should be faster, more secure, more flexible etc.

I'm also a fan of the new theme (look and feel).

Thanks to Don and John for their work upgrading the software! 
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mogie01

It doesn't appear to be working properly on my laptop here, lots of little xxxxxs all over the place, I think where the buttons are supposed to be, bold, italics etc.  Something I need to do on this end?

mogie01

On looking more closely, I think it's all of the gifs on the page, my laptop shows x's.  What can I do about that?

duncanshannon

The broken images is a Forum configuration issue. We see it and will address it as quickly as we can.  Thanks for the note.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

rick91351

Most everything has broken image links.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

duncanshannon

Should be fixed now. Please report back any other problems (or if this still seems broken for you).

rick91351

Looking much better thanks!!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

John Raabe

The broken image links last night was my fault!  d*- Doing some work on the Theme and logo.
Duncan was able to point things to the right directory. Thanks! :D :D :D
Just keep me away from sharp objects!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Maybe the folks who don't like the new Theme can be more specific about things that would work better. IE: colors, text size, etc.

mogie01

MountainDon

If the issue is something being difficult to read because of font size there may be a simple user initiated solution. Most browsers today have an increase/decrease size of what is displayed thing built in.

Hold the Ctrl key down and press the plus key to magnify.
Press and Hold the Ctrl key and press the minus key to shrink.
Use Ctrl and the zero key to return to the normal setting. 

I use this a lot whenever I run into pages that are set up with text I find too small for me. This can have the downside of enlarging some pages to where the entire page in not visible anymore and sideways scrolling is required. That's a pain.

It can also help to run the browser fully maximized to fit the screen if you don't already do that.

I have set the page display to 100% to eliminate any wasted side areas. For some reason the default setting is to use only 90% of the available width for page content display.

As always, post or PM your concerns about anything. We try to accomodate if we can.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Thanks for the tip on making the fond bigger Mtn .D , and other tweaks , you've done.

Either I'm getting used to it , or you've changed a few things. 

Thanks.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

I think on the old forum I had set the font one notch higher on the default. But that's just my eyes!

We can also change it in the message itself.

MountainDon

For anyone who wants it, you can now have the appearance of the old forum back. Well, not quite 100% the old appearance, but I'll get to that in a moment. This change is user selected by choosing a different "theme".

First, you go to your Profile.
(Please read this whole message first. You may find you don't want to or can not make the change)

In the left hand sidebar look for "Look and Layout"  Click on that link.

Now in the main Profile page the first item listed is...
Current Theme:            Forum or Board Default  (change)

Click on the (change) link

The page changes to display the Choose a Theme Page. There should be three sections to the page. "Forum or Board Default", "SMF Default Theme – Curve" and "Core Theme". We use the same theme for all boards, all areas of the forum. The default we have selected for all new users is the "SMF Default Theme – Curve" which is what you get when the first section, "Forum or Board Default", is selected. It seems that the conversion from the old software also switched all existing users to the new "Curve" theme.

If you want to switch yourself back to the screen appearance of the old software you will want the "Core Theme". You will see two links in the lower left of each section.
[Use this theme]
[Preview this theme]

Clicking the [Use this theme] link will switch you to that theme immediately. Clicking the [Preview this theme] link will simply change the current page view temporarily. Any page or link click will cause the page to revert to where it was.

To complete the process be certain to click the Change Profile button at the lower right of the Look and Layout preferences page.

If/when we make changes to the forum in terms of updates, modifications, added features, etc. there is a chance you may not be able to access those changes if you select the Core Theme. In most cases any forum changes we make should appear in both themes, but there is no guarantee.

The one thing you will notice that is different in this version 2 "Core Theme" is that the "Time spent online" display is back. I believe it appears under the date in the upper left portion of the pages. Nope, I am not going to take time to make all the edits that would be necessary to eliminate that. And, No, it is not possible to simply copy that from the old pages; it's all been re-written and I'm not doing that.

While you are on the "Look and Layout" preferences page you may also choose to customize other things. There is a list of options you can select. You may select or deselect any of these options. Be sure to click the Change Profile button at the lower right of the Look and Layout preferences page to make any changes effective.

If you run into any difficulties I'll do my best to help.

OH, one more thing. In order to make any changes to your profile you must have made at least five posts in a topic. Your status can not be Newbie.

MountainDon