HOORAY They did it again.

Started by Redoverfarm, March 16, 2014, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Last night was the annual Ham & Bacon 4H/FFA sale.  So proud of my children.  Out of 41 kids and 58 exhibits they managed to grab the top honors in 4 out of the top 8 positions.  My daughter was the queen of the show with Grand Champion Ham weighing 28-1/2 # which sold for a hefty $32.50 per #.  My son won Grand Champion Bacon weighing in at 6-3/4# which sold for $61.00 per #.  But it doesn't stop there.  They both got Prime for their remaining Ham & Bacon respectively.  All in all their pig yielded just short of $2,400  at the sale.

One of three tables displaying the exhibits so potential buyers could exaimine the products.

Just a tad bit too heavy for his sister to hold so he helped her out.

The children and their respective buyers at the auction.

MountainDon

[cool] [cool]

Looking good!  Great stuff!

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

[hungry] [cool] [hungry] [cool]

Those exhibits look to good to eat. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rick91351 on March 16, 2014, 02:56:01 PM
[hungry] [cool] [hungry] [cool]

Those exhibits look to good to eat.

Yeah that would sort of make a Vegan backslide.  Just wish I would have gotten some.  Did get a little side meat for seasoning when we trimmed the ham and bacon up but just enough to wet our whistle.   ;D

I guess I should tell the rest of the story.  Facts be know they probably won the Reserve Champion spots as well with there other pieces but the rules say that they can just place in one catagory with one exhibit from the same animal.  So basicly they are judged with an exhibit number and once the judging is over they reveal the name of the participants.  If the participants had placed in the Grand Champion or Reserve Grand Champion spot then their other exhibit is dropped to a Prime Catagory.  I can see both points to the rules. 

Don_P

Well done!  [cool] Proof it isn't a fluke, they have the recipe for success.
One of our sisters in law is a dedicated veggie but her boys do enjoy eating from the entire menu, we've almost gotten her to come over to the top of the food chain a time or two when the bacon aroma drifts through the house  ;D.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on March 16, 2014, 06:18:40 PM
Well done!  [cool] Proof it isn't a fluke, they have the recipe for success.
One of our sisters in law is a dedicated veggie but her boys do enjoy eating from the entire menu, we've almost gotten her to come over to the top of the food chain a time or two when the bacon aroma drifts through the house  ;D.

Yes Don_P my son said this is the 4th year they have been on the top.  That is about the time he started working at the mill and started making his own feed.  I think he should patent the blend. ;)

BTW are you getting any of this new weather front coming through.  Prediction is for us to get 8-14" by noon tomarrow.  Hope they are off a little.  Just got to the point that you could see the ground again.

Don_P

Hmm, if he can source non GMO or organic inputs at the right price point and develop a good product line I think it would sell well to the groups we're linked to... things to think about anyway.
It started raining here a little after noon, we had finally dried up enough to till some. The forcast has been changing hourly but the latest is we're supposed to get a couple of inches with sleet at each end of it. It's still just rain now, which would be fine with me.

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Woodsrule

These are the kind of stories I can't get enough of. I hate it when people say "kids these days....." Let's highlight great kids like these and stay away from the negative stories. Keep it up, guys!!