new to the forum, wood foundation

Started by FarmerChad, August 27, 2006, 10:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerChad

Been read'n all the posts, loads of great information here. I have always wanted to build a house, now the chance is materializing. My wife and I sold our house in town and bought a nice lot 4 miles outta town. Its 100 ft wide, 180 ft deep. For our area, it was a stunning deal. Plenty of privacy, etc. Anyhow, Im familiar with almost all aspects of construction, my question deals with wood foundations. Does anyone have expierence with wood foundations? I downloaded a really great pdf, approx 52 pages, from the Southern Pine Council, all kinds of details, charts, etc. Just looking for some input from real folks.

Thanks Chad

n74tg

First off, welcome to the forum; there's a lot of good people here.

How prevalent are termites in your area?  I understand they don't pressure treat wood anymore with the chemicals that are really good for termite prevention.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on this one.

glenn-k

Welcome, Chad/

John has some good info on wood foundations and it is an option on a lot of his designs.  Here's a bit of free information he  provided.

http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

How big are you planning to go? What general area are you in?

jraabe

The "All Weather Wood Foundation" or PT wood perimeter foundation, using PT studs and plywood on a gravel trench footing, is a well documented option that can be used on almost any house plan. You do need to use the right fasteners and have the studs and plywood sized for the earth forces. Also, make sure the drainage is right. That done, much of the real work is just carpentry. No concrete truck or pumper required.

For some reason this foundation hasn't caught on with owner-builders as much as I would expect. Understandably, some of the older PT wood could be a bit nasty to work with. However, the newer materials are pretty safe. The treatment process uses the same chemicals that are found in feminine hygiene products. - My opinion is that if it's safe enough for the inside of a woman then it's safe enough for the outside of my house.  :)

The only house plan where I have fully documented the details for this type of foundation is the Universal Cottage where it can be used for the full basement design (most commonly) or a perimeter crawlspace.

For other houses you can get the necessary design information from sources like the booklet you have. Just do a good thought experiment to make sure you know what, why and how you are going to build it... or, find someone who has done it before and have them help.

FarmerChad

Sorry for the long delay in response.. keep'n them odd hours at work. As far as termites go, I beleive we are in an intermediate area. My land is in the western portion of West Virginia. We are close to both Ohio and Kentucky. As far as size, no more then 2000 sf, 2 story. My only concern, wouldn't you be putting more in pressure treated lumber then block? Assuming you do it yourself? I guess the savings is in the concrete?

Thanks for the help
Chad

John Raabe

A PT wood foundation is most cost effective if a basement will be used for living space. Block may be cheaper for a crawlspace and old style (damp) basement or cellar. If you will insulate wire, and finish the space then a PT foundation has you 75% there when the foundation is done.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

phalynx

I have the 2 story plans and it shows a concrete slab between the PT wood walls.  That seems to me to require concrete.  Is this required?