floor framing and sheeting question....

Started by Kris, May 04, 2010, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

well..first off i am fairly new to building and this question will back that up........

i am just about to start a small 12 x 14 cabin structure...a very simple shape{after building my icosa dome}..
what i noticed when i did some drafts on paper, is that when my  12ft joist's are attached to the 2 14 footers, then the actual floor space is increased by the width of the 2x6x14's  which would equal 3 extra inches...so really the floor is 14 x 12.3 ...so what i am wondering is when its time to sheet it with plywood i will come up short on a side??..or do i center it and use this lip to help hold the osb wall sheets??....

i have not seen anyone else in the forum trimming down there 12ft joists to correct this??..or have they...?

any input is welcome.....thanks people...

kris..

MountainDon

When I built our 8x8 shed I cut the joists short so that with the rim joists added the width was precisely 8 feet.

For the cabin we bought 16 foot 2x10 for our joists, then cut them shorter.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg61565#msg61565

I'm not really sure if anyone else took that into account or not. I don't recall anyone saying they did.  ???
I do think it's a good idea, though.   :D
Also if you use T&G panels there's that to allow for as well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

QuoteAlso if you use T&G panels there's that to allow for as well

Definitely heed that warning, I was careful to make mine come out to exactly 20 ft., only to discover that the T&G 4 by 8's only add up nto about 47 1/2 wide when locked together! Had to piece in a 2 1/2 in. strip.  d*

davidj

I'd definitely go with the true 12' on the side otherwise you're gonna have problems with the wall sheathing too.

Generally, with framing, the end framing members are positioned so their edge is at the specified dimension, not their center.  Intermediate framing members are set so their centerline is e.g. at 16" or 2' intervals.  Generally, if you try and work out will be the easiest way when you come to the sheathing, that's probably the right way to frame it!

Kris

thanks guys...

the comments helped......

JavaMan

I went through this exercise this weekend.

I could have sworn I figured out how to only have to cut two boards 3" short ... yeah, it was late, and I was tired.  Good thing I didn't actually start nailing things up like that.

When I finally did start in the morning, I realized the error of my ways, and discovered that it was 2 boards I didn't have to cut.  d*

Worked out really well that way.  Well, except for that whole bein' square thing.  I have that to look forward to when I get back to it. (I'm 3" off - this is gonna be fun  >:()