Exterior wall rail caps .

Started by PEG688, October 27, 2007, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Here's a bit on that , these can be a problem when living space is below.  This one leaked into the kitchen below and as you can see it rotted off a support post or two .

They first guys , from a "well known ",  local,  "great builder/ contractor"  ::)  ::)  ::) I get so sick of fixing these guys work all the while "hearing" what a great company they are  ::)  ::)  ::) It almost makes me  >:(  >:(

Oh well that's another story.

As I found it , no  paper , none vip nadda, no flashing , just a painted flat guard rail cap >:(

This roof deck detail really sucks as well , it should have run up the wall at least 6" but it hasn't leaked yet  ::) I'll do some better counter flashing , it won't be perfect , just better , when we side this inner area.

There are other factors into why I won't be doing more in this area, to convoluted to explain  here right now.   That "deck roofing" should aways run up the wall 6" or more .

New 4x4 posts all the rot cut out ,

Proper post to beam connections ,

Felted in , wrapped over the wall top and down the other side and Grace Vycored over that!

That's the way to do it !      
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

ScottA

Looks great Peg. Whats the black stuff you put on top of the wall called?

Scott

PEG688

Looks great Peg. Whats the black stuff you put on top of the wall called?

Scott

Are you ready for a DOH moment Scott???????????

Grace Vycor plus ;D  Just like it sez on that black stuff I used on top of the wall :o :-/

It's a sticky on one side rubber like on the other flashing product. Just Google it , they have a very well put together booklet on flashing and Grace vycor product uses as well. Your local Home despot or building supplier should have the product and the booklets .

ScottA

PEG688

Here's some photos of what it looked like before ,

Sort of scary that it looked so good on the surface isn't it :o The only sign was bubbling / peeling paint in that outside corner. The paint hides the rot , as I've said before paint will cover a multitude of sins.  :o

I should add that last year , at about this time,  we did a "quick fix" on the corner post , the folks where heading down south for the winter , that's why the corner was dry when I tore it out this year , I had done what it would take to stop the leak , but this time we are fixing and replacing the rot.

This was another area the builders , wrongly , decided no flashing was needed >:(

All to often caulking is mis-used as flashing , so I'll repeat,  [highlight]CAULKING IS NOT FLASHING!![/highlight] It breaks down quickly letting in water  , a small crack lets in enough water to promote rot and mold , and in a way once the water gets in the caulking and paint hide the rot.  

MountainDon

QuoteCAULKING IS NOT FLASHING!!
Four words to live and build by.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.