Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Great Scott [shocked]  I mean Great, Scott.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, Scott, I'm hoping you didn't blow off the roof the last few days!

ScottA

Hanging on by my fingernails. Sure makes it hard to get the felt on flat. I picked up my plumbing flashings and the chimney for the wood stove today.

glenn kangiser

I was wondering what you wanted to get on a felt hat for.  Damn reading glasses and dyslexia --- not a good combination. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

And I picked up a new pair of reading glasses.

Redoverfarm

Not sure whether you have a "Big Lots" store in your area but they are my best friend when it comes to glasses. I usually buy a couple pair at the price of drug store glasses and leave a pair everywhere I think I will be in the shop and house. If I had to have one pair they would be lost in a minute and I would be fumbling hitting my fingers or something.

ScottA

No "Big Lots" around here. The nearest Wal-Mart is 15 miles away. That's where I usualy go since theres not much else close. We are pretty far out in the sticks here. I usually keep 2 pair of glasses. One I carry with me and another back up pair in my desk. 

Redoverfarm

Shoot you are almost in town. My closest Wal-Mart is 48 miles away.  I usually make a list of things I need and make it every two weeks or so.  But if I am going to go shopping I usually go further where there is more selection.  Someone told me once that the Walmart Plan was to have a store within 30 miles of each other.  Don't really look for it here as the county of 912 sq miles and a population of 9,000.  Well it might employ the majority of the elgible workforce though.  Might try Dollar General or Family Dollar.  They are usually cheaper.  There is a chain or discount stores called Gabriels and usually pick them up for $2 pair.

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 25, 2008, 06:37:12 PM
My closest Wal-Mart is 48 miles away... ...Someone told me once that the Walmart Plan was to have a store within 30 miles of each other. 
In town I have my choice of 5 Wal-Marts (4 of them Supercenters, 1 Neighborhood Market) within 10 miles!; 2 M west (the one we usually use), 6 M south, 10 M north, 6 M SW, 10 M south.

From the mountains, it's another story... 60 miles S or 45 mile NE, both Supercenters
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

I'm still roofing. I'd be outa luck if I had to shingle for a living. 3 squares left to go out of 10. I updated the thread title to the name of our property. My grandmother named the place about 40 years ago when she saw a some deer running through the woods soon after they bought it. She had a habit of naming all their properties. At one time my grandparents owned over 2000 acres in this area. All that's left of that is 6 acres I own and 200 owned by my mother.

ScottA

Finnished up the shingles today after many difficulties. If you are building don't get the idea to shingle your own roof if it's 12/12 pitch. Hire a roofer. Trust me I know these things.

Redoverfarm

Oh we learn so much to beat the dollar.  I guess we can now call on you as one of our resident experts on roofing. Feels good though doesn't it.

ScottA

So true. I figure I made about $8 an hour on this roof. Feels great to be dry. My wife is jumping up and down and wants to move in.

glenn kangiser

Good job, Scott -- don't think about the low wages -- add the value of the education you received.

ScottA

Indeed Glen, I learned alot. I supose if someone is as determined as me and has the time they might want to tackle roofing.

Google Earth shot of the building location.

Homegrown Tomatoes

So, what's next, Scott?  The weather is drying out nicely and is warm again, so I'm looking forward to your updates.  (Windy as heck today, though... glad you're not still on the roof.)

MountainDon

Scott, I have to ask why the sat view is "upside down"?   ???  (North down.)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

I don't know Don. I was playing around with it, spinning it around etc. and thats how it ended up when I took the screenshot. I didn't plan it that way. lol  d*

I just finnished framing the sofits and some other misc. framing I had left undone in my rush to build the roof. Currently working on the cedar battens that will hold the siding away from the exterior walls. I'm planning to felt the south wall tomorrow and put up the battens. Should be interesting to see how this rainscreen system holds up. I'm currently calling it the rainscreen experiment. That way if it fails in less than 50 years I have an excuse.

BiggKidd

Scott

That way if it fails in less than 50 years I have an excuse.

I think evrything I do is an experiment. :)

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

ScottA

I got the felt and battens on the south side today. Kind of a trial run to see how it worked. There is an 8" strip of galvanized metal along the bottom edge. You can see whats left of the roll sitting in the doorway. Over that is 2 layers of #30 felt paper. The battens are 1x2" cedar that have been treated with oil stain on all sides. These will provide a 3/4" air space between the siding and the felt. I'll add a few more pieces after the door is in. I went ahead and put these up to help hold the paper on.

You can see the soffit framing I finnished up a couple of days ago in this shot.

View from the veranda. Spring in Oklahoma and the dogwoods are in bloom.

Line of the sun at 3:30 this afternoon. A couple more weeks and this line should be outside. The roof overhangs are working as planned.

MountainDon

Sun line looks good. Are you doing low-e glass in the windows and doors? They'll be a perfect "fit" with the direct warm weather sun being shielded from hitting them directly.

Redoverfarm

Scott get your window yet. Going to a 2 day auction this weekend. Want me to PU one. Maybe you said before but what type of siding are you going to use. Harde plank?

ScottA

Don I'll have to double check but I belive the windows and doors are low-e double pane glass.

Siding will look pretty much exactly like this picture John. Lots of over priced stained cedar. If you find a good deal on the window grab it.

MountainDon

If they are low-e glass that gives you the benefit of the radiant heat from outside (sunlight reflected off the ground up at the windows, for example) being reflected back outside by the low-e coating.

Similarly in the winter radiant heat energy from inside will bounce back. In winter the sun's direct rays striking the glass would be passed through allowing some heat gain.

ScottA

Decided to take a few days away from pounding nails. Thought since the weather was so nice I'd spend some time working on beating back the woods a bit before the hot weather sets in. We cleared all the undergrowth back about 20-30' from the cabin in all directions. Burned most of the brush and deadfalls today to get rid of any fuel sources close by. My son and I also started digging out the stones I'll use to support the outer edge of the wrap around deck and moved them near where they go.