Pictures of MN land.

Started by melwynnd, September 20, 2005, 09:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

I finally got the pictures of our MN land on my website.  You can see them at: http://www.sherrysapothecary.com/Building.html

Sherry

Amanda_931

How are you papercreting your trailer?

On the inside?

(I think the biggest problems with my little trailer are the fact that it appears to have been built on a newly started line, and really, it's about small enough to be heated by two dogs and me.)  

melwynnd

Amanda,

We are tearing everything down in sections.  The roof is not good and needs replaced completely.  I had considered infilling the existing 2x4 walls with papercrete, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work and I can use the 2x4's for other things, like the alcove beds we are putting in.  

Tentatively I will be pouring 7'x1'x8" "logs" for the outside walls and 7'x1'x4" "logs" for the inside walls.  I think we'll build the walls solid and cut the doors and windows out with a chain saw afterward.  The roof will be 2x6's at 2' apart with 8" papercrete panels between them.  Then we'll put 1" rigid foam insulation and a steel roof on the top.

I have been researching the best way to finish my papercrete walls.  Water isn't a problem in WY, but it will be much wetter in MN, so I do have to consider that.  I'm planning on a 1 foot overhang in all directions and perhaps papercrete plaster painted with dry-loc on the outside.  I definitely want to go with an earthen plaster on the inside.  It will breath well and allow at least one side for any moisture to get out of the walls.

Are you planning on redoing your trailer?

Sherry

whitewolf

Sherry,
 Nice piece of land!  Where in MN is it located?  I live in SE MN and would love to follow along with your progress.  I am new to this forum (was on the old forum a long time ago) and would like chat with others in this area.
Sharon
 ::)

melwynnd

Sharon,

My land is about 1 1/2 miles from Shevlin and about 30 miles from Bemidji.  So I guess we are in the North Central part.  It would be great to know someone from there.

Sherry

lodestar

QuoteSharon,

My land is about 1 1/2 miles from Shevlin and about 30 miles from Bemidji.  So I guess we are in the North Central part.  It would be great to know someone from there.

Sherry

We are near Park Rapids and the Mississippi Headwaters.

Bruce and Cheryl

(you can view some pics of our place at the URL listed under my profile)

glenn-k

Welcome to the forum, Bruce and Cheryl.  I have run across your website several times before.  You have a very nice and interesting place.  Glad to see you here.

Glenn

jwv

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for sharing your photos.  I had actually seen them before visiting that site for Strawbale ideas.
Your place is beautiful, but quite different from here in So Arizona.

judy

lodestar

Judy, my wife has an old adobe between tubac and tumacacori which she inherited from one of two sisters.  The surviving sister lives in one of the adobes, my wife's is rented out...and we have helped build sister a studio with bath...now it needs a kitchen...that's next.  The buildings are on an acre in a greenbelt...and historically were the houses of ill repute...

jwv

I just saw this post, lodestar.  Wasn't ignoring it.  What a place to own a property!  :o  Tumacacori is one of my favorite places in Arizona.  It's just so peaceful there.  If I didn't have to work in town, that's the general area I would gravitate to.  All our chile comes from Santa Cruz Chili.

Judy