Beginning to look for land in OK

Started by Homegrown_Tomatoes, October 11, 2007, 01:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

We'll be waiting for news.  BTW, what field of engineering is Lyon in? :-?

Daddymem is an engineer and I have a cousin that is an engineer in roads etc (civil ?).
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Homegrown Tomatoes

We got word yesterday that the meeting to make the decision is tomorrow and we should know something afterward... tired of waiting.

glenn kangiser

I can understand that. :-/

Mechanical engineering would be one of my favorites as regards to machines rather than air conditioning etc.  Archimedes was apparently a mechanical engineer.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

He likes it and he's good at it... turns out the competition for the job is more competition than we reckoned, so he may not get the job but I still am hoping like crazy.  We should know sometime tomorrow... if he does get it, we know the whole thing is only by the grace of God as he has no university teaching experience (he did teach high school and he does teach kindergarten Sunday school, both of which should prepare him for anything a university class could throw at him.)  The other guy does have some university teaching experience... so... we'll see... :-/ :-? :)

Sassy

If it's the right job & move, he will get it  :)  I'm sure you all are praying  8-)  Teaching Sunday School to kindergartners?  :o  That should prepare him for anything.  I taught SS to 5 & 6 y/o's for 3 years, also helped out in children's church & played the piano for them.  I also taught 7th & 8th grade boys & highschool.  I think the 7th & 8th graders were my favorite...

There was one little boy I had for 2 years - he was the biggest challenge I had ever had to deal with!  Little did I know that he was preparing me for my oldest son  ::)   :D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Children's church is great for learning many life lessons. ;D  Most of the time, though, it's fun.  

Ironically, I turned on the TV for a little while a bit ago, and there was Dorothy clicking the heels of her ruby slippers and saying, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home." :)  I know just how she felt... and like I said, I still have a lot of hope.  

A few years back when my husband went on a "cultural literacy" quest to watch all the classic American movies and the movie adaptations of all the books American kids have to read in high school, we watched Gone With the Wind, and when Rhett turns to Scarlett and says something along the lines of, "The red soil of Tara runs deep in your veins..." my husband started laughing so hysterically that we had to pause the movie so I could understand what was so funny.  He said, "That's you!!!  That's just like you!!  The red dirt of Oklahoma must run deep in your veins!!!"  It didn't sound quite as romantic as when Clark Gable read the line, but he was still somewhat right.  Maybe that's just it... when we flew home last weekend as I looked down from the plane and the soil grew redder and redder as we got closer, I just began to grin.  When I was a kid, I spent a summer in Tennessee for a high school honors program, and on the tiny little plane out of Memphis as we began to get closer to home, I spotted the sandy, lazy South Canadian River from the plane and could hardly wait until we landed in Oklahoma City.  Red dirt just makes me smile, I guess... and the thought of owning a piece of it again has been enough to make me grin all summer.  Guess it sounds silly.  That's OK... I'm used to sounding a little warped.  

Sassy

We have red dirt on our mountain  :)   actually clay...

Homegrown Tomatoes

Most of it back home is clay, too, but it is really fertile even if a little hard to manage at times.  And it's such a gorgeous color to boot.  I had some white canvass overalls when I was a kid and fell down in a gulley at my dad's house... when those overalls came out of the wash, they were forever a reddish pink color.  It was a good thing I'd gotten them pretty evenly muddy, even though the butt and the knees were the darkest parts.

My daughter is sitting here next to me on the couch and she just sighed, "Mama, know what?  I sure do want to move to Oklahoma!!"  It's the first thing on her mind when she gets up, and it was also the last thing she said before going to bed last night.  So, today we'll hopefully get a straight yes or no answer.  I hope for a yes, of course, but at least a no is an answer, too and ends the anxiety to know. :(

Homegrown Tomatoes

Homegrown Tomatoes

ARGH!!!!! >:(  They hashed it all day and can't make up their minds who they are going to hire so they put off the decision for a few days so they can have another meeting later in the week to HOPEFULLY decide something.  I HATE indecisiveness.  I gave away half of our furniture today so that we won't have to move it and they can't even decide who to hire!!!!!GRRRR.    I think the intent is to drive us completely crazy.  The other guy has more experience, but some of them felt that my husband was a better communicator, and yet another complained that DH got ripped off because he was only allowed 20 minutes to present and the other guy got 45 minutes, so they just decided not to decide today.   :P :-[ :-/  Allegedly, they WILL decide sometime this week.

Considering the job was created for DH and we started this process back in June, it is so exhausting waiting for it to happen, or if the case may be, not happen. :( :'(

Homegrown Tomatoes

Got more details on what happed when my husband got home yesterday... turns out that they decided at the meeting yesterday to hire the other guy because he had more experience, but then after they all made that decision, they sat around the conference table feeling like they were making a mistake (this according to an old friend and professor in that department).  They all agreed that the guy had more work experience, but one by one they began to bring up positive points about my husband...he is a better communicator, he got ripped off because not everyone on the hiring committee got to interview with him because one had a doc's appointment and one had a funeral, and the other guy got interviews with everyone, he wasn't allowed as much time for his presentation, etc.  Finally after a full afternoon of hashing it out, they decided to sleep on it for a few days and come back later in the week and make a decision.  The question was brought up, "Are we running a design company, or do we want someone who can really teach design?  What's our goal here?"  The other question was because the other guy has changed companies three times in the last ten years without moving up in positions... he's not getting promoted, which should be a red flag.  DH has only been here a little less than 3 years but has already been promoted twice, now to a project management position... the few guys on that hiring committee who've spent any time in industry know that he is young to be a project manager when he was hired as an engineer.  So, there is still a little hope.... at this point I've prayed all I can pray, and if he doesn't get the job, I'll just have to accept it.  It's going to be really hard to explain  to the girls though, who have their hearts set on seeing Pistol Pete on a regular basis. :(

glenn kangiser

I hope it works out well, Homegrown.  It gets hard when a group of intellectuals get together to make a decision.  Look at our forum. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Ain't that the truth.  DH says he likes them (the professors) because they're "kinda naive" in thinking that 10 years of industrial experience automatically means the guy is suited for the job... and because they believe whatever people present to them, even if they may have only worked on a small component of the whole design.  DH was really careful in his presentation to ONLY show them designs he has worked on himself, and nothing that he didn't design in its entirety, because he felt like that was the most honest thing to do.  Come to find out, the other guy (also Korean) has been milking one of the professors (Korean) for all kinds of information about the job and the hiring committee, something DH didn't do because he didn't think it was right or fair.  If that professor called him and gave him information, he didn't object, but he didn't ask him any questions, and that professor (who, incidentally wants  DH to have the job) has tried to stay out of the hiring process to remain neutral... so when the other professors were deciding on the other candidate, he didn't say anything, and I highly doubt that the others know that the other candidate was calling and asking advice almost daily.  Sigh.  :-/  All I know is that I want to move before the snow really flies.

glenn kangiser

Unfortunately - as we often see in politics and a certain federal installation Sassy and I know quite well, the best person for the job doesn't always get it.  Sounds like they are trying to be fair as well as they can though.

If that doesn't work out -- maybe something better will.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I think their intentions are very good and they are trying to be fair...I just hope they don't get the wrong guy in there... in a company, it is easy enough to fire a guy that doesn't work out, but I think in  a university it is a little harder.  They're trying not to let their personal preferences get in the way of fairness, I know...

Homegrown Tomatoes

Still nothing.  It is getting a bit ridiculous.  I feel like we've wasted 5-6 months on this whole process, especially if he doesn't get it.  He turned down other good jobs because they told him he was as good as hired here.   :(

Homegrown Tomatoes

glenn kangiser

That's a bummer, Homegrown, but maybe something better will work out.   :(

Sassy

So sorry, Homegrown - a great disappointment  :(  His eye is on the sparrow...

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thanks, y'all.  I am disappointed, but glad it's over with.  This past week or so has been so stressful and we've both been so aggravated with the wishy-washiness, not only of the department as a whole, but over the flakiness of the individuals involved... of course DH's old advisor was quick to tell him to apply for the next position in the department that will open when one of the other profs retires in a year or so, but DH told him that he has decided that if he does ever apply at our alma mater again, it won't be in that department, and he most likely will look at another school instead.  He feels really stabbed in the back, especially by the two profs who told him that he already had the job.  I don't know how to tell the kids we're not moving... they've had their hearts set on it for a long time... hopefully something else will pan out, and fast.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Aw, something else will come along... it has to.  All our flannel sheets and coveralls are packed and in storage. ;)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, as they say, hindsight is always 20/20!  Looking back now, I'm so glad DH didn't get the university position... we'd probably be living in some slummy college apartment trying to make ends meet right now. Now, the company that is hiring DH is going to pay to move our stuff, our car, and will be paying our rent there for six months or until we can sell our house in Wisconsin.  They'll give him a month's salary in advance to help with other moving costs like changing our driver's licenses and tags and all the utility hook ups, etc.  They'll pay the realtor's commissions, closing costs, appraisals, surveys, etc.  Woohoo!  Life is good.  God is good.

Sassy

Sometimes God says no to one thing only to give us something better!   :)  c*  Now is it Oklahoma?  or Kansas?