Zoned for timber taxes

Started by MooseMtnMama, April 14, 2006, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MooseMtnMama

My very first post!  Already a wealth of info here.  We just bought 40 acres on top of a mountain in NE Washington State, and it is all zoned for timber taxes, meaning the taxes on the whole place are $36 per year.  Anyone know about removing maybe 1 acre to build the cabin?  We don't believe in getting all those permitting people involved for the building part, but I understand the govt can get you for many years past in taxes if you don't do this part right.

Thanks, and hope to be a frequent reader/poster.

Beth (aka MooseMtnMama)
The kids found a 15# moose paddle the first visit up this spring!

Amanda_931

I have no idea.  (this has never stopped me)

Welcome to the forum.  

I lived in a zoned Industrial area when I lived in Nashville--area of small houses on small lots.  We could live there, at least until somebody bought us out, or the house burned down--that happened to a fair number of us, including me.  But the neighbors who put an addition on their house may have had to get a variance.  And I'm pretty sure we couldn't tear down and rebuild on a different foundation footprint, probably have to beg to go back into the same footprint.  So this can get pretty complex.  Probably not just a city problem, from what you are typing.

You might have luck building a maintenance shop with living quarters.

Sounds like a good idea to me, anyway--not much more than Bed Rooms, but a huge open area for projects and tools for everybody.

Is there already a road up there?

deertracks(Guest)

We were told by a realtor in Stevens County that rezoning for 1 acre of land that you plan to build on is as simple as going to the county and applying for one acre to be taxed regular and keep the other 39 acres in timber class. That sounds too simple to me, as country agencies usually want revenue any way they can. Good luck, we are currently looking for acreage in NE Washington also and that side of the state seems a bit more relaxed than the west side FOR SURE!! Do you already have water???

glenn-k

Welcome, Beth.  Hope you find some answers here --- I need one too --- what is a moose paddle?

harry51

Glenn, I'm just guessing here, but  "a 15# moose paddle" brings to mind a moose antler that weighs 15lbs........?

glenn-k

Or a 15# paddle for spanking a naughty moose or a paddle for spanking a 15# moose.  OK - I'm totally crazy, but you knew that didn't you Harry? :-/

harry51

Well, now that you mention it, I had begun to suspect that I may no longer be the only "unconventional" presence on the hill........

Amanda_931

QuoteHarry 51:
I had begun to suspect that I may no longer be the only "unconventional" presence on the hill

Not hardly.  

Even among the old hippies around southern Middle Tennessee, I'm considered an Eccentric.  

I was very happy to discover that the British seem to value their Eccentrics-with-a-capital-E.  Even if I've never been to the UK.

glenn-k

I get disappointed if I am not considered Eccentric. :-/

MooseMtnMama(Guest)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  Thanks to deertracks for the info, I think we'll try that approach.  It is such a small town, and we've heard that you can do the 1 acre out thing for building.

A moose paddle is called such because the center is shaped like a paddle, solid, as opposed to the antlers of elk and deer.  Also it's made of bone, not compressed hair, as antlers are.  So it's heavy!  I am not a moose biologist by trade, but I did some internet research after we found this, so's I could talk smart about things.  ;D  Plus we are looking for the other paddle, or a moose with a serious crick in his neck from walking with his head lopsided from missing one heavy paddle.

>>or a paddle for spanking a 15# moose<<  Uhhh...I think they're more than 15# even when they're first born.....and you wouldn't spank a baby moose would you?????? :o

So anyway, no water, power at the bottom of the mountain ~a mile downhill, no plans to access that right now.  We will build our cabin now, and dream retirement house later, much later.

John's plans are winging their way to us now, we cancelled the appt with the designer after browsing this forum last week.  I think we can do it with a bit of yall's help and input!

thanks, Beth

Sassy

Welcome Moose Mtn Mama!  Looks like you are on your way to a comfy, cozy cabin...  :) Are you going to try some solar or a generator for your power?  Keep us posted on your progress.  Sassy

Amanda_931

Consider rain water harvesting.  Colonial American practice was rainwater for washing, spring water for drinking.

(check that you aren't in one of those weird areas where water rights are separate from land ownership--mind you the Australians are more likely to mandate catching the rainwater off the roof--they don't seem to like storm sewers.)  I'm still working on my system(s).  Two books are coming out any day now.  A few more around now.  One of the best places to start is free for downloading--88 page .pdf file--going to be much nicer if you have Adobe reader version 7:

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publications/reports/RainwaterHarvestingManual_3rdedition.pdf

Somewhere around there's a thread with some pretty decent links in it.

Glenn lives off-grid, with wind and photovoltaics (PV) for his electricity.  At least one or two more of us.  

Not me, though.  Although since the AC in the travel trailer went out today, I may get my rear end in gear and start building.  Ninety-five inside before noon is not fun. Since then, I've gotten a good-sized fan and put out the awning on the south side.  They help a lot, but the awning darkens the place a lot, and probably ought to be folded up if there's a thunderstorm that really is going to send wind down the dry wash.

glenn-k

Looks like fun, Beth.  We'll all give whatever help we can.  It's great to see our members dreams become reality as they learn enough here to do what they want to do.

I'll bet you saved enough canceling the designer to pay for your plans!  :)

MooseMtnMama

Yahoo!  The plans arrived today.  MooseMtnDaddy is OOT, but I'll study up and we can hover over them this weekend.  Have already talked to the foundation guy.  There is a 20x24ft concrete pad up there in good shape from a former shed/shop.  It needs to be shored up with footings, but looks like a possibility for the beginning.  We need to modify the plans a bit, may need some input from yall, there are certainly plenty of experts on this site to glean knowledge from.

Beth