What guns indeed

Started by peternap, May 09, 2009, 08:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

The ammunition shortage, the economy, increase in violent crime and other things have me thinking about what guns I need. I mean really need. This covers hunting, self defense and outright fighting.

First is a 12 ga shotgun. I have an over under combo, 12 ga over .308 with interchangeable chokes. This covers hunting execpt for ammo. For quieter hunting and other affairs, my 10/22.

For handguns, my BFR with the 45LC/410 cylinder and the Causell cylinder. My Old S&W 422 and my 1911 45acp.

In case I cannot get ammo or components, I have a Gemmner halfstock (like a plain Hawken) flintlock I built. I have two barrels, a .58 and a .62 smoothbore (20 ga).

For serious business, my assault built Mossberg 12ga (because of the availability of ammunition and components and the ease of making parts)

That covers the minimum for me.

We've been through this before but that was before the shortage. Anyone else change their list?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Yeah...

I used to have the "wants" real bad for a Savage synthetic stock bolt gun in 7mm or 300 WSM.  With reloading stuff hard to get, I am only sticking to .30 cal stuff... .308 and .30-06 for hunting.  Have to have a long range rifle with decent energy, so that means .30 cal.  I may have to steal Don's son's M1A if I can figure out how to get to it. 

12ga for me, I have a nice 101 win, and an autoloader.  Should get a pump too.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Windpower

Well...

we just got back from the farm and I took inventory and checked out if the firearrms made it through the winter ok

they did

ammo in inventory

350  12 gauge bird shot MAx Dram Eq 6 and 4 shot
50 slugs
50 buck shot

400 45 ACP (for my Stainless Springfield 1911 A1 -- a great pistol)

300 44 mag (for the scoped Super Red Hawk) a very accurate pistol

200 300 WBY Mag plus lots of noslers brass and powder  (IMR 7828  ;D)

1500  22 LR

1400  223

500  9MM (for the Berretta 92 that I fail to shoot well)

and a scattering of other rounds and black powder for the .58

it should last for the next few years I think

I am still thinking of a 3 1/2"  12 gauge if anyone has some recomendations...

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Virginia Gent

Hrmm I'm pretty set, but I'm always buying up more ammo for my guns. I think I have all the guns I need to be useful, so all the others I buy now are because I want them, not really because I need them lol

~RIFLES~
Remminton 700 (with scope)
.270WIN- 1,000 rounds
USE: Hunting medium-large game

Moseberg 453T (with scope)
.22 LR- 1,500 rounds
USE: Hunting small game

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch
5.56- 1,000 rounds
USE: Defense for SHTF/Zombie invasion

~PISTOLS~
Springfield Model 1911
.45 ACP- 500 rounds
USE: Home defense

Glock 23
.40 S&W- 500 rounds
USE: Personal defense; I always have this on me. I also use hollow points in this weapon. If I'm forced to draw to defend myself, I wanna make sure I'm doing max damage.

Of course, I lost all my weapons and ammo in a tragic boating accident  ;)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

MountainDon

I'll tell ya' where the M1A is Frank; his gun safe.   ;D

... what else are keepers (between the two of us)...
45LC  revolver
45 1911A1 45ACP

Mossberg 500, 12 ga

Ruger 10/22  22LR
Romanian Army training bolt action rifle 22LR
Browning Buck Mark 22LR

and my new (used, new to me and in transit at this time) Thompson/Center percussion side lock 50 cal rifle

and probably the Browning Hi-Power 9mm
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Yeah, all of my guns were lost in a fire.  I've felt so bad about it that I'm just not even up to filing a claim.

Whitlock

Lost all my guns in the fire also But before they burned up I desided to upgrade the ones I had (better scopes,reworked triggers,nicer grips,ect.,ect.) Instead of buying more guns I just took the money and made the ones I had better 8)
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Now you guys are making me want to have a gun... ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Virginia Gent

I say do it Glenn, before Obama, the Dems., and the international community get organized, and bold, enough to stop you from being able to exercise your 2nd Amendment right.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

rick91351

I am sort of like Glen.  I thought about owning one one time.  I think it was just a passing thought though.  They are sort of loud when they go off aren't they?  I was never into anything loud.

rlr  ;)   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

apaknad

i added to my list when i purchased the bushmaster .223 and rem. 870 pump, 12 ga. i felt that with the proliferation of .223 ammo i wanted to have some in stock to barter or use. the 870 was an addition to the benelli super black eagle and it is a home defender model(easier to swing around in a house than SBE and makes a wonderful sound when racking that is music to a would be intruders ears(if there's such a song that screams "GET OUT, GET OUT").
i highly recomend the benelli for 3 1/2" capacity if you can afford one . if not i think the rem. 870 12 ga. pump can be purchased as a 3 1/2" chambered shotgun.
dear forum members..... i believe that we are privileged to be living in the the most important times in human history. it will be scary but it will all come out for the good eventually. no matter what you beliefs( i am a christian who believes in reincarnation) you all know that something is in the air that doesn't seem quite right and the winds of change are washing over us at an unprecedented rate. i personally believe that obama will be our last president and he is hell bent on destroying our sovereignty(sp) before the end of his first term. no matter, everyone should be storing up survival supplies. these various scenerios presented by our very intelligent and informed members are just a moot point. THE ONLY SCENERIO THAT MATTERS IS ONE OF UNDERSTANDING THAT SOMETHING IS/WILL HAPPEN AND YOU HAD BETTER PULL YOUR CRANIUM OUT OF THAT ORAFICE(you know which one) AND GET ON THE BALL.
luv u all, dan
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

Quote from: apaknad on May 14, 2009, 11:02:50 AM
...recommend .... for 3 1/2" capacity....

I know the choice of guns and ammo for almost any use will generate at least as many 'best' ideas as there are people involved. That said, I respectfully disagree with the choice of a 3 1/2" shotgun load for personal home defense purposes. For the case of discussion I define home defense as taking place within the home where the distance is likely to be in the 20 foot or less range.

I prefer the 2 3/4" shell (in a relatively cheap and deadly reliable Mossberg 500 pump). My reason is that of recoil. The 3 1/2" shell has much more recoil to deal with. Heavy recoil = a gun that is more difficult to control; less control = less accurate second and subsequent shots. True enough that the 3 1/2" load carries more shot (twice as much 00 as a 2 3/4"), however I feel that one does not need the extra shot in close quarters as there is little spread. A hit will be a hit and a miss will be a miss. For that same reason I would not use any magnum loads, just the regular old stuff. I'd even suggest one of the low recoil loads available in some pellet loads.

You never mentioned what loads you put in that home defense shotgun, but I'd like to opine on that too. Double aught (00) buckshot seems to be commonly chosen and will definitely be a stopper of a hit. However, here at home we've got more than one room, hallways, bedrooms here and there. Those interior walls are not going to keep a load of 00 from penetrating into the next room. Heck they will likely knock a hole through most of the exterior walls. For inside the home personal defense loads I'd suggest birdshot as a superior choice; #6 would be good. Birdshot is as lethal as buckshot at close range. If 'they' are running out the door, which would be best for all, then the increasing range doesn't matter as they are in retreat and you should not be shooting anyways.

That's simply my opinion and food for thought, of course.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Oh boy.  Here it comes.  Where's my popcorn?

apaknad

hi don, you rascal,
i guess i didn't make myself clear in the 3 1/2" chambered 12 ga. shotgun. everything in my post about a 3 1/2" S.G. had to do with someone's earlier question about "what 3 1/2" shot gun would someone recomend". i just put in my two cents. i was not suggesting it for home defense. that is why i bought an 870 chambered in 3" max for my self defense S.G when i already have the benelli.
you are right in your choice of 2 3/4" shells for home use and bird shot works very well as you suggested(i use a combo of bird and 00 in case the bird shot doesn't get the point across). if you have anybody else in the home then you DO have to consider penetration in walls. i live alone so i don't worry about that point as of yet.
all of your suggestions were correct and i thank you for clearing up any ambiguity in my earlier post.
in the meantime, go build something and don't ever correct me again. c*
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

muldoon

I have relatively few guns, much in the same way I have relatively few hammers.  The ones I have are different and are specific to specific tasks.  I have some duplicates that make it handy if something breaks I can keep going with what I am familiar with.  plus, once you find something you like it's even tougher to pass up a good deal on another one. 

2 remington 870s in 12 ga.  1 is a 2 3/4 max wingmaster with a 26" barrel.  with 00buck, I can put an angry basketball and drop hogs (big hogs) at 40 yards.  The other is an 870 express in 3" max.  I buy only 2 3/4 loads as they can be shot from either.  roughly 400 00buck, 150 #7/8, 75 #4 load.  I think I have about 50 1oz slugs.  they hurt me :( 

I have two marlin 60, 22lrs and 2 22lr single shot antique rifles.  roughly 5k 22 rounds. 

45 acp, in a glock full frame - 250 rounds. + one or two small boxes.

40 s&w, in a glock subcompact frame - 250 rounds. + one or two small boxes.  also have 4 or 5 boxes of the cci shotshell in 40sw for snake load. 

remington model 710 in 270 win, 400 rounds + 1/2 box.  err 410ish? 

marlin 30.30 336, 200+ rounds. 

-pretty much between the two above I will never buy deer ammo again for the rest of my life. 

a 410 single shot that was just gifted to me, I picked up a few dozen buckshot and slug loads for it but dont recall the count.  I have not shot it yet, it will be for my kids when they are ready. 
--
I know I have a lot fo ammo.  It takes an enormous amount for space, most of it was purchased last year during a 6 month-ish bout that I can only describe as moderate personal concern (ok I was in freakout mode for a spell) and luckily was not purchased at todays prices.   But looking at some of the other posters, I dont feel like I have much ammo at all anymore.   d*

muldoon

Quote from: MountainDon on May 14, 2009, 12:52:00 PM

I know the choice of guns and ammo for almost any use will generate at least as many 'best' ideas as there are people involved. That said, I respectfully disagree with the choice of a 3 1/2" shotgun load for personal home defense purposes. For the case of discussion I define home defense as taking place within the home where the distance is likely to be in the 20 foot or less range.

I prefer the 2 3/4" shell (in a relatively cheap and deadly reliable Mossberg 500 pump). My reason is that of recoil. The 3 1/2" shell has much more recoil to deal with. Heavy recoil = a gun that is more difficult to control; less control = less accurate second and subsequent shots. True enough that the 3 1/2" load carries more shot (twice as much 00 as a 2 3/4"), however I feel that one does not need the extra shot in close quarters as there is little spread. A hit will be a hit and a miss will be a miss. For that same reason I would not use any magnum loads, just the regular old stuff. I'd even suggest one of the low recoil loads available in some pellet loads.

You never mentioned what loads you put in that home defense shotgun, but I'd like to opine on that too. Double aught (00) buckshot seems to be commonly chosen and will definitely be a stopper of a hit. However, here at home we've got more than one room, hallways, bedrooms here and there. Those interior walls are not going to keep a load of 00 from penetrating into the next room. Heck they will likely knock a hole through most of the exterior walls. For inside the home personal defense loads I'd suggest birdshot as a superior choice; #6 would be good. Birdshot is as lethal as buckshot at close range. If 'they' are running out the door, which would be best for all, then the increasing range doesn't matter as they are in retreat and you should not be shooting anyways.

I understand all that reasoning, I even use 2 3/4 myself and agree with your points. 
But if the situation is life threating, I'd go for the 00buck myself.  every time.  just my point of view. 

MountainDon

:D    My memory isn't what it used to be.  :-\    Thanks for clearing up the 3 1/2" gun info. My shoulder throbs just thinking about 3 1/2".   :o

Two to three birdshot shells with 00 next in line has been suggested by others.

MountainDon

Quote from: muldoon on May 14, 2009, 04:54:32 PM
... looking at some of the other posters, I dont feel like I have much ammo at all anymore.   d*

Depends how much practice time one puts in.

MountainDon

phalynx

Oooh, a topic I can join in on....

I'll list the guns that have a specific use or are used more than not.

.223 AR-15 - I actually enjoy deer hunting with this gun.

I do have a .270 if I start seeing larger bucks....

12 gauge 870 Express Super Mag.   Nothing makes a tresspasser say oops faster than a 12 gauge loading a shell

Ruger 10/22 for my special little friends, the raccoons..  They enjoy my chickens a little too much.

Glock 23-  my personal carry weapon and best for self defense.  Also, one heck of a fun gun.

I have quite a bit of ammo for all, never enough.  I have many other guns, "just cause"...  :o

Whitlock

Quote from: MountainDon on May 14, 2009, 12:52:00 PM

I'm would rather have buck shoot than #6 bird shot any day for self defence(what if the other guy has a gun also)
Having said that when I was hunting quail at a young age I got in a tangle with a rutting buck at 6 feet with my 20ga I let him have it right between the eyes with a #8 low base. To my amaziement it put a hole in his head as big as a nickle and droped him in his tracks.My dad was a little upset until he saw the wound then he knew I was very close to the deer before I shot. Never under estamate bird shot :o
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

considerations

Mainly, I think practice makes any asset more effective.