Our Building Permit Fee....OUCH

Started by StinkerBell, May 12, 2008, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Homegrown Tomatoes

StinkerBell

I hope that number is putting you into labor. I am not even pregnant and when they gave us our fee this morning I was sure I was going to give birth......

BiggKidd

OUCH is right
Where is that?

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

John_C

Extort

Date:  15th century
to obtain from a person by force, intimidation, or undue or illegal power

source  www.merriam-webster.com

unchanged in the 21st century

StinkerBell

Homegrown Tomatoes

n*  did you have that figured into the budget??  Wow.  I want to withdraw to the ends of the earth and find some place with no building permits, etc.!

StinkerBell

I had an old fee schedule. I had planned on $800.00.

What they are going to charge me is about 4% of the building cost!

Sassy

Well, Glenn tells me that the "big house" project of Mike's & Michele's had permits & fees totally over $22,000!   :o :o
I still say it is highway robbery...  they are trying to repeal Propostion 13 in California becaus they can't raise taxes unless you add value to it by building or when someone buys property - I guess they are trying to get it through the fees!   >:(
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

CREATIVE1

We're getting about equally zapped in Mason County, Washington.  There are so many permits and fees that I really don't know exactly what the total is!  I guess we'll know when we're done.  FYI, in Florida they have "impact fees" to pay for roads, water, and other infrastructure that are added to the fees.  So I don't feel too bad about what we're paying in Washington.  And I can do some things without permitting and additional costs, such as a building under 200 sq. ft..

Homegrown Tomatoes

Don't they have a smiley that goes into a dead faint?  I dread that whole part of the building process!  When we were in Wisconsin, we wanted to put in a fence.  I got several estimates and then contacted the appropriate county offices for permit information.  Just to build a fence around the perimeter of the yard, it was going to cost more than $500 for fees and permits before we even dug a single post hole!  Isn't that nuts!?    I was so mad over it, we never did build the fence after all, but I talked to a guy who told me the loophole to get around it sometime later.  He said that you could avoid the issue entirely by setting your fenceposts in deep gravel, and because it wasn't concrete, it is considered temporary, even though the tough clay will ooze in between the gravel and set up about the same as concrete.  By that time, though, I'd given up and just wanted out of there. 

StinkerBell

Quote from: Sassy on May 12, 2008, 03:51:33 PM
Well, Glenn tells me that the "big house" project of Mike's & Michele's had permits & fees totally over $22,000!   :o :o
I still say it is highway robbery...  they are trying to repeal Propostion 13 in California becaus they can't raise taxes unless you add value to it by building or when someone buys property - I guess they are trying to get it through the fees!   >:(

I so recall that election too! I was but a young lass in line at an In n Out Burger....I saw the bumper sticker, "Screw 8 Yes on 13"
Mama, I said...What does screw mean? I got smacked for a dirty mouth!

Sassy

Have In & Out Burgers been around that long?   ;)  I can't remember what I was doing or how old I was...   ???
Parents...  ask an innocent question [noidea' n* rofl
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

That was at the first In-n-out in Sylmar or San Fernando,  I think - back when Stink was a kid -- in the 40's I think.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Quote from: StinkerBell on May 12, 2008, 02:04:16 PM
I hope that number is putting you into labor. I am not even pregnant and when they gave us our fee this morning I was sure I was going to give birth......

Speaking from experience, giving birth feels very much like you are going to s--- a football, so you are probably just about spot on.

desdawg

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on May 12, 2008, 03:52:18 PM
We're getting about equally zapped in Mason County, Washington.  There are so many permits and fees that I really don't know exactly what the total is!  I guess we'll know when we're done.  FYI, in Florida they have "impact fees" to pay for roads, water, and other infrastructure that are added to the fees.  So I don't feel too bad about what we're paying in Washington.  And I can do some things without permitting and additional costs, such as a building under 200 sq. ft..

The "Impact Fee" here in Pinal County, AZ is $8,800. That started in January of 2007. I shut down my excavating business in September 2007 because no one was going to pay it and the work dried up. I still maintain if you vote with your checkbook that vote will be heard more loudly than any vote you can cast at the polling place. I recently paid a visit to the County Supervisor (our elected representative for this district of the county) and told him about the imapact of the "Impact Fee". This was a follow up to a couple of my letters to the editor which had been published. That and a buck 50 will get me a cup of coffee somewhere.  c*  I told him in my opinion that if a moratorium was placed on the collection of that fee it would jump start our local economy once again. My opinion fell on deaf ears. He is up for reelection now and I would hope enough people will take note. I don't think anyone really realized just how far reaching the housing fiasco is. My insurance agent was complaining a while back about how his business was off. No one really thinks of insurance agents as being part of the housing industry. I am sure there are other examples. The Title Insurance compaies inour area have closed many offices and retreated to headquarters. I know of one Title Company that laid off over 30 employees in that process. The County on the other hand put a moratorium on new hires and has laid off no one in those affected departments.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

The parasites can only think of insuring the survival of their kind by raising costs.  They are too stupid to see that the blood is nearly gone from the host and he is about to drop.  Anybody  know where there's a dip tank?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Reading this thread I am feeling better about the fee.  It is still going to hurt, but some of these other fees would make it impossible for us to build.

ScottA

There's no end to it I guess. Thankfully we don't have that problem here. No permit, no fees, no inspections. My property taxes will only be about $400 a year on my cabin and land. Ofcourse we don't have all these modern services like planning departments and code enforcment to protect us but somehow we manage. The people around here would vote anyone who tried such nonsense out in a heartbeat so progress is unlikly in the near future. The nearest town to us had to start doing building inspections because they got some state money to upgrade utilities. That lasted through about 5 years and a dozen inspectors until they could no longer find anyone dumb enough to take the job. Now they just pretend to do inspections. There is now a storage shed on main street that's been converted into a little house if that tells you anything.

glenn kangiser

Our county was forced into it by the state but they caught on well to getting the handouts. parasites.

Don't even think of wanting the protection.  All you do is pay protection money to the county mafia.