Birthday Suit Carpenter

Started by glenn-k, April 23, 2006, 12:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

You may gain some tips from this article - what to do or not to do. :) :-/

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/04/22/naked.carpentry.ap/index.html

Amanda_931

I have an acquaintance here.  Except in this she's not nearly as eccentric as I am ::) .

But there are two quirks about her gardening.

a) she loathes ticks more than anything else in the world.

b) she really really doesn't like prickly plants--has removed them from her garden and the rest of the yard, would not ever consider a holly tree (we have lovely, probably native, ones in the area) or a rose.

b) may be a response to a).  

Because she gardens in the nude so she can see and feel ticks when they start to crawl on to her.

In her defense--while we all occasionally get really slow-healing tick bites, it does seem that all of hers turn out that way.

Fortunately, they do not live in the middle of Oakland, but at the end of little road on the other side of some sometimes formidable streams.

But one does not often go up without calling first.

So she responds with shudders and loathing the stories of my (late) dog Buster, who, within a week of being Front-lined came in nearly every day with 20-40 ticks on him.  I wish I were kidding.  I've never seen the like, and I've mixed dogs and woods most of my life, so I thought it was annoying but cute that Buster just loved for me to sit outside with his head on my lap and de-tick him before he came in.  I almost had to do it in the depths of winter, just because it gave him so much pleasure.  The vet kept telling me that Frontline kills within 24 hours, why was I getting upset about this?  

On rare occasions the other outside dogs come home from a run with one or two ticks.  I walk through my woods and sometimes pick up one.

Of course, Buster may have reduced the population dramatically.

peg_688

[size=12] Ya might have known he was from Ca.   Yet another reason not to live in Ca.  ::)  I'd have guessed Berkley instead of Oakland .   How about you Glenn , ya run that bobcat in the ah natural  :o

Where's Sassy  been ??     She's not been around lately , the forum that is.

Amanda is lyme's disease a issue around your friends place , ? Maybe she's had it and doesn't want it any more  :o  Hey a phone call  is all it takes , and it is her land  ;) Right?

Link   http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no01/04-0303.htm    

[/size]  

glenn-k

Great story, Amanda.  I can understand your friends aversion to prickly objects.

Did I ever tell you about the time three carloads of senior nudists came to visit the Underground Cabin ---I'm sure I did - I wouldn't have missed that one.  It reminded me of the movie "Cocoon".  They were from a club a couple of friends of ours belong to.  

Tick season is here now too.  Maybe I better lose the extra clothing so I can see if any get on me. :-/  What a scary picture that makes - Glenn - the birthday suit Bobcat driving cowboy. :o

Our friends told us to give them a call before dropping in too- but what the heck -- what's wrong with just popping in for a friendly visit????   :)

glenn-k

PEG, I wrote mine at the same time you were writing yours - I had no idea you were interested in how I drove Bobcat--- great minds, eh???? ;D

Sassy is at work - does 4 or 5 days every couple weeks at the Veteran's Hospital --  she's been real busy lately as they are running minimal staff the hours she works.  They make her wear clothes there though. :)

Ticks around here are about 70% positive for lyme.  I think Amanda's friend has the right idea.

peg_688

QuotePEG, I wrote mine at the same time you were writing yours - I had no idea you were interested in how I drove Bobcat--- great minds, eh???? ;D

quote]

[size=12] It was more  of a scary image , like a bad night mare  :o  :o thought  ;D ;D  The kind you just got to get out of bed cuz your afraid you'll dream it again :o :o sort of skin crawling deal  :o :o

[/size]

glenn-k

Sorry about that, PEG.  I had no intention of destroying your mind. :-/  I think I'll run up and drive the Bobcat a bit now. ;D

glenn-k

QuoteI have an acquaintance here.  Except in this she's not nearly as eccentric as I am ::) .

Because she gardens in the nude so she can see and feel ticks when they start to crawl on to her.

Would you mind telling us how you garden, Amanda?? :)

Amanda_931

Raised beds in tires, half-sunk in the ground??

I live on a road that may get--on a normal day--8-10 vehicles by on it.  School bus, mail carrier, a--small--handful of others.

glenn-k

I'm at the end of the road on a ridge so no one goes by here - maybe an airplane or two.  The next landowner has to go another mile to get about 1000 feet past my place then head up the hill to the top.

Amanda_931

We have some Lyme disease.  But last time I looked (just now!), it took a 24-36 hours for a tick to pass on the disease.  

The Nymphs (2nd stage) are tiny--Larvae even smaller, but probably can't get the Spirochete to pass it i.e., they have to have a meal of infected blood.

And Heartworm.  (possibly transmittable to humans, not near as likely as the Lyme)

and presumably West Nile.

And Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

No, I think ticks are just UGLY arachnids.