The Republican Party Needs a Good Housecleaning

Started by peternap, June 30, 2009, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

http://news.oldva.org/uncategorized/the-republican-party-needs-a-good-housecleaning/

Ever wonder why the Republicans have had so much trouble lately. Well....there are a lot of reasons. George Bush is a big one. But looking at it on a state and local level, it goes deeper. Right into the belly of the beast.

For those that don't know the story, Jerry Kilgore handed Virginia Tim Kaine on a silver platter. Kilgore's campain manager insulted Virginia gun owners. That's an easy way to NOT get elected...and he wasn't. This is just one example of Republican Faux Pas that have cost them seats in Virginia.

For the first time in a long while, the Republicans have three good candidates for the top offices. The replacement for Frank Hargrove is still a coin toss but I can't see him being any worse than Frank.

Back to the Governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General. There is a real chance of a grand slam and all three show promise as GOOD custodians of the public trust. So what's the problem you ask?

The problem is, the party has a cancer growing in the Virginia body. The symptoms are arrogance, conceit and shallow self indulgence.

I went to The Goochland Republican Meeting today at Enzo's Restaurant. Linwood Cobb, 7th district Chairman was the speaker. Mr Cobb has selected Innsbrook for years, as the location for the Annual Republican Roundup. Innsbrook is anti gun.

Selecting this location is like the NAACP selecting a KKK Banquet hall for it's award ceremony. Simply insulting!

I immediately spotted Mr. Cobb, even though I had never seen him.  He had a Seersucker suit, a chest full of pins and a  politicians plastic smile.
_mg_6066.jpg

After the buffet, the speech makin commenced. Mr. Cobb talked about the goals of the 7th District, their contributions to candidates, how they needed to get into the burbs and reform those Obama people....and the Annual Roundup.

The room looked like an Orange (Guns save lives) sticker factory and Mr. Cobb was talking about snubbing Gun owners at their soiree.
_mg_6073.jpg

He (Cobb) said the location was convenient to 64 and had a sound system and facilities.

When questioned by VCDL members about the possibility of using another facility, Cobb replied that there were no others that fit the need. Again VCDL members asked about the possibility of changing the venue if they could find a suitable place. One member had three locations in mind that only needed a sound system. He was dismissed with a quick "We'll discuss it".

Philip Van Cleave, President of The Virginia Citizens Defense League, warned Mr. Cobb that there may be a protest. Cobb said they had the right to do so but to remember that if it were not for the Republicans, they would have lost their second amendment privilege....Imagine that. The Republican party is the only reason we have a RIGHT...That's guaranteed in both the State and Federal Constitution.

Will the arrogance never end.

If the Virginia Republican Party wants to succeed and prosper, they must cut this type of person from their ranks. Hopefully, the good people in the 7th district will insist on his removal.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

The entire government needs to be fired. Can we get a do over?

Phssthpok

QuoteCobb said they had the right to do so but to remember that if it were not for the Republicans, they would have lost their second amendment privilege....Imagine that.

A: It's a RIGHT, not a privileged.

B: Tar, feathers, rail, city limits... put them to good use.

StinkerBell

I was a Republican for years. Ever since I can remember. Last year after dealing with the Republican Caucus and seeing what the party has come too, I walked away. I am not longer affiliated.

glenn kangiser

There is only one party.  The war party - you just get to pick your flavor.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

muldoon

I agree with every single post in this thread  ..     

IronRanger

QuoteI was a Republican for years. Ever since I can remember. Last year after dealing with the Republican Caucus and seeing what the party has come too, I walked away. I am not longer affiliated.

Me too, except it was quite a few years ago.

QuoteThere is only one party.  The war party - you just get to pick your flavor.

Yessir. 
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

Virginia Gent

I stopped being a Republican shortly after the 2004 election.

I fully plan to attend that protest too; it's on a Saturday, which makes it all the better. I would much rather see Ken Cuccinelli for Governor of Virginia than Bob McDonnell, but I'll take Bob. I heard a statistic that said that Virginia has never elected a Governor of the same party as the President. So, since Obama is a Democrat, I'm hoping that Bob continues this Virginia tradition and wins; maybe then we can get this freaking Resturant Ban Repeal signed. Tim Kaine should be strung up by his thumbs from a street light for vetoing it twice.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~