loft joist sizing question

Started by knightasylum, August 29, 2014, 05:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightasylum

I was thinking of changing sizes of my loft joists on my 14x24 plans. My thinking is that since I modified the support on the floor joists and added a beam down the middle of the floor (see photo below) that I no longer need the joists to be the 2x8x14s that I originally purchased, that I could take those down to 2x6x14s. The extra support on the floor is right in the middle at 7 ft, while the kitchen/bathroom diving wall (which would then be supportive as well) is at the 8'8" mark, while it would not be a direct load straight to the ground it seems like that extra support would allow for the two inch reduction on the loft joists.
I don't want to weaken the structure for those 2 inches but I am no longer building the extended loft I originally planned when I changed the foundation so now I am going to fight for every inch I can get in the regular loft. That being said I wanted to post the idea here to see if anyone thought it would be a problem?

John Raabe

You could frame the main floor w/ 2x6s @ 16". Most builders would likely get 8' lengths and lap them at the mid beam. For the loft you can also use 2x6s @ 16" with midspan support consisting of either a bearing wall above the main floor beam or another beam under the loft joists supported by a post aligned and solidly blocked over the pier support below.

If you don't already, you should have a good framing book such as the Wagner title here: http://www.countryplans.com/books.html. It helps alot with framing and layout.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

knightasylum