loft support beams

Started by small cabin dreamer, March 26, 2014, 01:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small cabin dreamer

I have purchased both the little house plans and the victoria cottage plans. I cannot tell in the plans with the victoria cottage how large the 2nd story/ loft support beams are. I am building a 16x24 and using 2x10 beams, 2x10 floor joists, and 10 foot 2x6 walls. Havent decided whether to use 2x8 or 2x10 roof joists, weight or more insulation. My walls will be 16" OC, so the loft beams can be 16"OC also if necessary. Wondering if the 2nd floor joists need to be 2x10's also?

John Raabe

The loft framing for the Victoria is on Sht 3 "Loft Plan". Note that this is an exposed beam and decking system not joists and OSB. The "Simple Studio House Floor Plan" is below that and the corresponding section is "Alternative..." on Sht. 1. Is that the one you are asking about?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

small cabin dreamer

I am looking at the loft floor on pg.3 and I see the 2x10 notched into the 2x6 wall, but it is not specific to using a 2x8 to hang. It says 2x8 finish blocking. I am trying to determine what size of joists to hang from the 2x10 band joist to go across the 16ft width of the building. And if I will need a center support on the lower floor.

John Raabe

See Sheet 3, "Loft Floor to wall" detail and "Loft Plan". This is the Victoria Cottage plan.

Here is the construction sequence that should make this clear.

The 2x6 wall studs are notched to hold the 2x10 ledger which is secured with deck screws. This ledger supports brackets that carry the 6x8 loft beams. I suggest HU68 Simpson hardware but there are other brands.

After the beams are installed and sitting in their brackets the finish blocking fits between the beams and covers up the sides of the brackets. This wraps wood all the way around the floor.
None of us are as smart as all of us.