protecting ends of built up beams

Started by devildog, May 25, 2009, 06:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devildog

Ive  read somewhere that the beam can be ,but doesnt have to be built from treated wood. and most of the post ive read most others have built w/untreated lumber.
seeing how the beam goes all the way to the end, whats the best way to protect them from the weather?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

rocking23nf

I just know that with spruce, if its exposed to moisture at all without protection, will warp like a Banana. and since PT wood doesnt cost much more then spruce, its a no brainer in my opinion to use PT wood, assuming your beam is exposed to the ground/weather.

PEG688

#1: Build skirting walls under your building. That way the crawl is weather and critter proof.

#2: Have a metal bender make you some metal caps. Just have them extend back a foot or so.

Yes they'd need to be put on the beam ends before the outer joist where in place , or you could cut any nails off slide on the caps then refasten the joist.

#3:  Wrap end with Vycor or felt.

#4: Add  a cap board out of a composite deck material like Trex make it a bit wider than the beam and let the bottom hang down 1" or so. Detail the top so it slides behind the siding on the building above.

There's a few ways.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

devildog

thanks Rocking,
I was trying to keep away from the extra cost and weight of P.T., but it may not be that much more.
thanks PEGG,
1.I like the open look and was considering nailing something to the bottomto keep out the critters.
2.I like this idea, Ill keep it on the back burner.
3. would probably do this anyway, but it would need to be covered for asthetics.
4.I like this idea too , but would look funny because 2 sides would hang down lower, seeing how beams would be set back a few inches(V.C.)on sides.

what have others done?

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Don_P

One thing to think about. Most of the beams I've seen shots of here look like they have nothing to prevent them from rolling. That end skirt could hold blocking that sammiches the girder ends to prevent rotation and caps their ends at the same time.