Web Site Updates

Started by Chuckca, March 27, 2008, 10:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

I enjoy reading the CP web site.  Lots of goodinfo and helpful advice.  Is there a way to know what was updated when a new date in posted?  Not a big deal. I just don't want to miss ANYTHING!  [cool]

Thanks
Chuck

glenn kangiser

At the top right by your name is a link to unread posts  since your last visit and another to new replies to your posts.

I think that is what you mean anyway, Chuck.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

There's also the "new" tags, but they won't tell you what comments are new, only that is is something new.

In the Forum Stats area, near the bottom of the main screen, click on View the most recent posts on the forum.. That will present a reverse chronological order of the postings. That is, newest to older.

Does that help?

There's also the Mark all topics as read on the main forum page, right side under the Off Topics section. Each Topic page also has it's own Mark Read button/tab at the lower right. Those will remove all the "new" tags. Then from that point everything new will show as new. It's one way to get rid of all the new tags is you don't want to bother looking at them all.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don won't clicking the notification on subjects also give you what additional info is posted on that subject?

Also going to get sidelined here a bit.  Does anyone know if there is a web forrum "Computer for Dummies" to try to get certain problems fixed.  This thing is giving me fits. Now it is to the point that E-mails are absent the body or message. Also happens on forwarded E-mails.   I think my program is Windows melignant no I mean Millinium.

MountainDon

Yes, John, turning on notifications will get you an email every time a topic is updated; actually only for the first update. If there are more than one you only get one email. I used that for a while on the Yabb powered forum. Here on SMF I prefer the Show unread posts since last visit.  or    Show new replies to your posts.

Notifications info HERE.

Windows Me (millenium) ?? Oh no. It's probably the most unstable of all the Windows iterations, and I go all the way back to Windows 1 (and further back; pre Windows DOS)  :o   Windows Me was also known as the Mistake Edition.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

You could move up to XP  -- Windows Xtra Problems.

Jonesy had so many problems with Vista he added Linux, then seems like he finally had to go to XP.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

FWIW, my son's new Alienware laptop runs some flavor of Vista. Since he now has all the correct, latest drivers it's a smooth running very fast machine. (when it came out there were a few things like twin graphics cards that gave problems because the correct drivers were not released yet).

From what I've seen it's usually a waste of time, effort and money to try to upgrade most pre-XP machines. I looked into it years ago and decided it would be money wasted. I built a new desktop to run XP. IMO, XP is a good solid running Windows system. I've good things about Linux, it even has a nice GUI in several latest versions. But I'm not sure if it's ready for the general consumer.  ??? :-\ :-\

Ready made machines with XP in them are becoming harder to buy. You have to do some looking and inquiring about hardware/software compatibility.

Vista has matured and now that the first service pack has been released from what I've read it works. There might be issues with some specific, usually older, software.

Chuckca

I was referring to "CountryPlans.com." home page d*  not the forum.  Sorry bout that.

Thanks
Chuck

glenn kangiser