YIKES! We just got an estimate of $14,000 for a 16x24 slab! (NM build)

Started by maggiethecat, April 12, 2022, 11:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiethecat

My husband heard from the contractor today, we had decided to go for a slab foundation in NM for our expanded Little House.

They quoted $14000 for a mono pour with a slight rough in plumbing! I'm telling my husband to go with post and beam instead, you can buy a LOT of wood with $14k, even at today's lumber prices!!
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

NathanS

Things are so out of control cost-wise right now. There's probably no going back, but geez I hope it slows down.

Don_P

Apples to apples on that lumber quote, you are comparing a ready to work floor vs raw materials. The concrete is about 3 grand of that quote. The rest is mostly an opportunity to bust out some sweat equity. And its structurally sound. A house you can run to in a storm rather than running from. We poured about $1200 of concrete on a 16x24 basement slab pour last week with very minor interior footings.

JRR

I agree, comparing cost of a finished, square, level (reinforced?) concrete pad to a pile of lumber, for a different foundation design is a bit of a stretch.  I wonder what would be the contractor's price for pouring and finishing: if you guys dug and prepared the site, complete with forms (square and level), reinforcing, planned voids, plumbing details, etc. ?

kbaum

My 28x40 garage with 10x20 breezeway went from 50K 3 years ago to 70K last year.  I didn't have the money then and I still don't have the money now. 

maggiethecat

Quote from: JRR on April 15, 2022, 09:38:01 AMI agree, comparing cost of a finished, square, level (reinforced?) concrete pad to a pile of lumber, for a different foundation design is a bit of a stretch.  I wonder what would be the contractor's price for pouring and finishing: if you guys dug and prepared the site, complete with forms (square and level), reinforcing, planned voids, plumbing details, etc. ?
The concrete company wanted just $4400 for pouring and screeding etc. And it's the same company the contractor uses.
We don't intend to use contractors for anything but the foundation and possibly roofing if we can't handle the 12/12 pitch.
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

WISteven

It's only 8 yards of concrete.

DIY.

I know, I know, it's HARD work.

You need to find ONE experienced concrete guy who is willing to work for $1500 cash on a Saturday to help you out.

WISteven

I would personally go for the wood setup but then again my back could not tolerate having a concrete floor in my house.

WISteven

First you said $14K and then you said $4400.  Which is it?

$4400 might be an OK price.  It's not like the underslab plumbing is all that extensive or expensive.