Tools Necessary to Start Building?

Started by Miedrn, June 22, 2006, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

There is so much info out there about foundations that data overload is quite possible..

I'm on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state...a few miles from the rainforest.  The soil I'm on is about 3 feet of clay with organic material, then comes the sticky peanut butter clay.  The boundary between the two is where water collects. 

The weather here is temperate....a ridiculous high is over 90 F and rare, a ridiculous low is 17 F also rare.....(good thing).  The average rainfall is about 45-50 inches, starts in October, off and on till April, unless it's snowing.  Deepest snow I've seen in 3 years is about 2 feet...lasted for about 2 weeks.   Mostly it is about 40 -60 F. 

We do get tremblers 2 - 4 Richter scale, with a good jolt every couple years 5-7 Richter scale.  I'm not worried about the world ending, I just dont want to put all that work into this sweet little house (14 x 24) and have the foundation dump it on the ground.   ???

There are lots of places around here that have been standing for 80 or more years with no foundations at all...so its my ignorance, not my angst talking.

Robbo

In my opinion, tools are the least of your concerns.  You will inevitably buy what you need as you go along but a good framers nail gun is a good start.

But apart from tools, what you REALLY need most of all is a positive mental outlook and be 100% sure you can stick at the work for the several years it is likely to take you to build anything more that a small cabin.  After 2 years at it, I can tell you that sometimes, all the tools in the world cannot replace the lagging enthusiasm for the project, but then I just put my head down, bum up, and get going.

In short, dogged determination is a much more important ingredient to finish your project

considerations

I agree robbo,  one foot in front of the other.  Got my power plant shed and the office built, both of which were "practice" for the cabin.  So, now I've got the cabin plans, the tools, the money (mostly) and the weather.  And a desire for an indoor toilet.  Should work.

Robbo

Good luck, considerations.  Regarding the toilet, see my post on the Sun Mar.  Its a good "stopgap" till you get you indoor flusher etc

Jackson Landers

Quote from: considerations on April 16, 2008, 11:59:31 PM
Maybe I'll use a screw to tack things so they hold still at first.  Sometimes those frame walls are hard to hold in place with one hand and nail with the other, without them moving on you.  I know about the bracing, but a well placed screw is like a third hand sometimes.  Guess I'll just have to start pumping iron so my hammer arm lasts longer.  ::)

Considerations,

I'll tell you what has worked really well for me when I've needed to raise walls solo.

If you don't already have them, get yourself a bunch of nice big clamps.  Lots and lots of clamps are a solo builder's best friend. When you are raising a section of wall by yourself, have a couple of them hanging off your tool belt. Use them to clamp the new bit of wall hard up against the last section next to it.  That holds it still on that axis.  If you need to adjust the position of the wall slightly, loosen the clamps a teeny bit. Just enough to wiggle the wall or maybe tap it into place with a mini sledge hammer. Then nail down the bottom of the wall at both ends before nailing it off to the adjoining section of wall.

For outside rather than partition walls, I also like to nail a pair of cleats scabbed to the rim joist that stick up 6 inches or so. That acts as a guide and prevents me from accidentally dropping the wall off of the platform (yeah, I actually did that once).  I build each of my wall panels to be no more than 8 feet in length.  That wastes a bit of lumber since I end up with more doubled-up studs than is structurally necessary. But it keeps the wall panels light enough to manage single-handed.

This is all probably stuff that every solo builder figures out sooner or later. But I thought that writing it down might save some new builders a few hours or days of head-scratching.

ED: repaired quote - MD
Albemarle County, Virginia

MountainDon

Quote from: Jackson Landers on April 24, 2008, 01:12:50 PM
.......I build each of my wall panels to be no more than 8 feet in length.  That wastes a bit of lumber since I end up with more doubled-up studs than is structurally necessary. .....

There is really no need to use a double stud when building like this. I have built walls in sections when framing walls that would be too awkward to handle by myself.

Illustrated below is the first section as I would do it. Suppose each wall frame section is 12 feet long. The illustration only shows the right end of the first section. Note the last 2x stud on the right is not fitted in place. Raise the wall section. Temporarily brace it. Nail the bottom plate down. (If installing on a concrete slab, bolt into place.) {drawings are not to scale}

Next frame up the second section. Leave the left hand stud out. Raise the section, temporarily brace and secure the bottom plate.

Insert the missing stud. The correct placement will have the stud sitting on the plate joint, 1/2 on the left, 1/2 on the right. Toe nail it in place, top and bottom. All it takes is careful measuring which is necessary any way you build it.

The upper top plate will overlap the joint by at least 24" and tie everything together.

To assist in keeping the stud positioned in the correct spot when toe nailing have a short piece of 2x cut to exactly 14.5" (for 16 "OC) or 22.5" (for 24"OC). Place the piece in the space to keep the stud from shifting when toe nailing. Remove when stud is nailed.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

Well, MountainDon and JacksonLanders....

Thank you.  Both of you have advice that will save this pilgrim a fair amount of grief....and swearing and sore muscles, ad nauseum. 

When I built the office the long side was 12'.  That was plenty for this girl.

Jackson, I have always dreaded toenailing, because the darn pieces won't hold still....a jig, of course!  I knew that!  (No, I didn't.)

Thank you both.

mvk

considerations

Don has given you some good advice on the toe nailing another thing you can do is predrill some of the bottom holes on the stud and you wont have to hold the nails. It also keeps it from splitting which sometimes happens on toe nailing. If you lay the stud on some saw horses you can drill from the bottom so the nail comes out exactly where you want. I make the hole a little smaller and start the nail.

I use piano wire for drill bits for predrilling. You do need bolt cutters to cut it though. If you buy it at a full service hardware store they usually have some bolt cutters to cut wire rope or chain. I cut it 6" or so and sharpen it in a grinder or belt sander. It wont snap like drill bits, Which snap a lot if you use them on a angle and just move it a little bit. This works real good for trim and finish and in hardwood ,of course everbody uses nail guns now, but I never had them.

I do a lot of predilling when working by myself.

Good luck Mike

MountainDon

Good tip on the piano wire drill, Mike. Thanks
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

What a relief to understand why I go through so many drill bits.  I though I was just a clutz.

maggiethecat

Hi y'all, does anyone have a suggestion for me as to what framing nailer we should buy for our grandfather cottage project? We're looking into a framing nailer and compressor.

Thanks!

--maggie
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

glenn kangiser

I like a bit larger than the small ones on a framing nailer compressor, maggie.  As they get bigger the price goes up but so can value.

This one has lots of stuff but the compressor is only 2.6 CFM so you;ll probably be waiting if you are a fast nailer. 

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-CFNBNS-Three-Nailer-Compressor/dp/B000HZGTIA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1214553194&sr=8-1

You want to shoot full head nails - not clipped - probably won't meet code.

I have the Porter Cable FR350 and like it.

Here is a bargain on a compressor similar to the one I have used from Amazon - one only-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005NMUY/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=use

or new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005NMUY/ref=dp_olp_2

This is over 4 cfm at 100 psi -- much better but no nailer.  The Emglo name is the trick - not the DeWalt name -- longer life on the Emglo Dewalt.

and the FR 350

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-FR350A-2-Inch-Framing-Nailer/dp/B0000B3AR9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1214554432&sr=1-1
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Good news about the Ryobi 18v Lithium Ion saw.  They have fixed the bearing casting -- only on the green one at this time.  It is now aluminum - I had to buy the whole 299.00 set to get it.  I don't know if it can be ordered separately.  HD now owns Ryobi according to the store manager.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

My Rigid corded electric impact wrench (Chinese Rigid) bit the dust bad the other day - hammer gear box self destructed, so I had to order this to replace it.  I have had too much trouble with Dewalt and Milwaukee was only 240 lbs torque.  This one is 325 foot lbs with 30 minute recharge Lithium batteries - 2 of them.

http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAK-BTW450&click=123  The best buy I found was through Google Shoppiing - $30 cheaper than the next cheapest and a good rated company too.

I will be using it to drive 3/4 x 5 lags to hold sun shades on the side of a 3 story apartment complex -- I don't want those messy cords to distract me. [waiting]

Windpower

I really like my Paslode framer

no compressor needed

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

The above Makita impact is so cool I ordered the six Piece set to go with it - I wanted the big rolling bag too.  The blow molded case takes a dedicated work truck to carry it - as with all hard cases.  I am getting an extra 451 hammer drill (bare tool $99.)  The jobsite radio is free on a sale at my welding supplier.  I will pick it up Monday for getting it on next months bill.

The drill in the kit is a lighter duty 452.  I want the 451 as it has three speeds and drills concrete to 5/8 and I can always use another drill. 

I still like the Ryobi Lithium set but needed the 1/2 Inch impact above for this job.  I can run about 20  --6 inch lag screws into 5/8 pilot holes per battery charge.  I estimate they are running in at about 150 foot lbs.  Max is 325 on the 18v impact.   Gooood.  :)

I am currently working on a big job in Fresno that will justify my purchasing it.  d*

http://www.fresnooxygen.com/products-view.mcic?s=3565

Jens

Picked up the Bostitch strapshot connector nailer at Lowes on closeout...$125!  Score!!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Bobmarlon

this hammer is awesome you can buy it at lee valley!

Native_NM

Builders:

Is there one tool you wished you had purchased earlier in the build process?  I have a pretty big arsenal of tools already.  The kids were asking what to get me Fathers Day, and I couldn't think of anything right off hand.  Looking back through the list is there anything that was overlooked in the ~$300 price range?

I have the basic and obvious stuff already.   
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

glenn kangiser

davidj

Quote from: Native_NM on June 18, 2010, 10:02:58 AM
Is there one tool you wished you had purchased earlier in the build process? 
The two tools I bought recently that I love and wish I'd had all along are the cordless impact driver and cordless circular saw (both of mine are DeWalt).

The cordless impact driver because it's just so cool - drives in tough screws effortlessly.  Combined with the Simpson SDS screws you can do some pretty hard core connections with so much less effort than drilling and bolting.  A drill/driver is still more flexible but much less fun!

The saw because we're off grid and not having to start the generator to cut a couple of 2x4s really saves time and effort.  There's some stuff I still use the 110V saw for - big rips and lots of quick, repetitive cuts, but >80% of the cutting is now done with the cordless.

A good compressor is the runner up - bought cheap pancake compressors and had all sorts of problems, then went to a decent one like Glenn mentions back in this thread and haven't looked back.

Brion

Thanks for all the info everyone .

Mostly old news , but like a yard sale .....you look at a lot of stuff before you find the gem that makes it all worth while.
Purcusa Resurgo ~ Molon Labe

glenn kangiser

Glad you found something of use. w* to the forum

Alasdair

I'm not going to read the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned this before but my most used tool has been ....

...the laptop computer and the internet.

I have done so much research and made so many purchases using it - it must have already saved us thousands of dollars before we even started building anything.

glenn kangiser

That is a good one, Al.  I have done the same.

I also use my cell phone with internet access to locate suppliers - parts - things I need while on the road.  Got a new one coming in a couple days with WiFi so it should be even better.  Saves a lot of driving around.  I located a Fastenal for bolts that was only a couple of miles from my work location - the option was to have the shop send them from 130 miles away.  So - another handy tool.