Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Got back last night from a somewhat unproductive trip to our cabin in the woods :(

The trip involved both my back breaking down (something was out of kilter as they say) and my Jeep breaking down (The Road Warrior decided to take a break I guess).  Was a trip of trials and tribulations but then, aren't they always?

So where to begin?

We left Sunday with high hopes of arriving in time to set up in the cabin and relax a bit before really getting to work on the cabin on Monday.  The trip was planned to get the cabin wiring done and install the load center to prep for solar power.  After that we planned to finish the insulation in the kitchen area and get the drywall install done also (kitchen and bath)....

However when we arrived and began setting up we discovered the Tent Trailer had been invaded by Mice.  I'd kept them at bay for a year but despite leaving out poison (which they consumed) the little buggers invaded, built homes, crapped everywhere, chewed holes through some of the canvas and then died.

Now I'll have to pull that trailer back to get it fixed up -- luckily, however, we don't stay in it much anymore, if at all.

So, with the trailer trashed we decided to live out of a cooler in the cabin (we like to use the Fridge, Sink and stove in the trailer and sleep in the cabin) and prepped the big loft to sleep in (cots with sleeping pads on them).

The next day we managed to get the kitchen wiring completed, the insulation in and the drywall up, except that we could not find my screw bit for my drill to screw the drywall screws in.  So I pulled out my hammer and tacked the sheets down with galvies and moved on.

It was a bit of a long day and I was fighting a sore back so split some wood and set up to test fire the wood stove that evening.  Other then that the day was pretty much a waste -- did some reading.

That evening I started and burned the first of the 3 test fires in the stove.  It was nice to finally try the stove out though I was a bit disappointed by the output and fretted a bit at the little stoves ability to heat the cabin.

The next morning my back was killing me, absolutely nightmare.  So, other then lighting the 2nd test fire in the stove (at which time I learned I must always prime the chimney) I did nothing else.  Hour after hour went by and I either read, slept or tried walking and stretching but my back would not allow me any comfort.

3rd stove break in fire was made that night and went well.  Incidentally the stove was putting out very nice heat by this time and I was happy with how it was going.  Clearly I just needed to let it run in order to get up to full output but in the burn in phase you are supposed to let it burn itself out without keeping it going.  Once I got past that stage it was clear the little stove will do just fine :)

By Wednesday morning it was time to pack up and my back was feeling much better (still sore but manageable).  I ran the stove one last time to give us some warmth in the morning (it wasn't as cold as it had been mind you) and we soon began packing up to leave.

Once on the road I noticed that the Jeep (we call it 'The Road Warrior' because it spends so much time on the highway and has 211,000 miles on it now) seemed a little unhappy.  It was running hotter then normal and down on power...hmmmmm

As the miles ticked off and we continued out progress towards home the temp gauge continued to climb.  I was pretty unhappy with that since I'd replaced EVERYTHING in the cooling system and ignition system not to mention exhaust and so much more.  Something was wrong.

Soon we turned off the AC (it was 97 degrees out) and were able to keep it down to around 211/212 degrees which is just slightly high.  But it would be nice to have AC right?  On we drove and I began to wonder if maybe it was time to pull the fuel system apart and replace everything....ba bump....uh oh

Something happened, don't know what, seems like the engine cut out and then came back.....on I drove now staring intently at the gauges...not here!

Then suddenly she died.  We were heading up hill in the middle of no where.  No cell coverage, hot as heck, loaded with gear, miles from the nearest town.....dead.

I noticed a farm house about a mile away but first attempted to get cell coverage by walking to the top of the nearest hill.  No good.  Then back to the Jeep and then finally off trekking in the heat to the farm house.

Luckily we had water, food, firearms and just about anything else one might need (even ice) so I was able to hydrate well and my son kept a cool bottle of water with him in the jeep to keep hydrated while guarding the rig.

The farmers wife let me use the phone and then borrow their farm truck to pull the trailer back to their house so it wouldn't get stolen once the wrecker showed up.  Then we waited in the heat praying for a breeze (which sometimes came) until the wrecker arrived.  He showed up about two hours into our wait.

It was another hour drive to the nearest town (yes, ONE HOUR, we really were in the middle of no where) and then another hour and a half until my friends came to pick us up, drive back to the trailer, then finally on to home.  We arrived home some 7 or 8 hours later then we should have, worn out, without the Jeep and trying to plan the next trip.

We think it was the fuel pump that quit or a clogged fuel filter and hope to find out today what the problem was but one way or another it will cost me.

As for the two?  They gave me a huge break and charged only two hours (could have got me for 3 with all of them as OT hours due to the time, distance etc etc) so the tow was $265.  Our insurance will pay it (thanks American Family Insurance!  Whoohoo!)

Just another adventure eh?

Lastly, while the yotes were out in force this trip I never managed to get a picture of them for some reason (I think they are camera shy now) but we heard two long and lonely howls!  While these did not sound like the haunting cries of the wolves I grew up with, they definitely were not yotes!  I think they were wolves and the air just wasn't cold enough to produce the chilling sound of wolves in the Canadian winter....

OlJarhead

On a side note I think I have my well licked :)

By pumping for short periods and then giving it a break to recover I beleive I can fill the cistern without running the pump dry (it sits around the 45 foot mark and the well is 205 feet deep)...but the cistern is about 50 feet above the well so the 12vdc pump is pushing water nearly 100feet and not deep enough to pump for long periods.

Basically I pump for an hour (or so) then stop pumping, allow the battery to recharge and the well to refill and then after a couple hours pump another hour.

Once the time is in place this will all be automatic.

MountainDon

Jeep stops dead and/or gives fits, low power, hiccups.... crankshaft position sensor. I carry a spare. Bugger to change on a hot engine.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

"Crankshaft position sensor" - and he carries a spare!
(I didn't know there even was such a thing.)

I guess Don's a pretty good mechanic too??? ::)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on August 27, 2010, 01:19:32 PM
Jeep stops dead and/or gives fits, low power, hiccups.... crankshaft position sensor. I carry a spare. Bugger to change on a hot engine.

Another Jeep buddy suggested that though I just had mine replaced about 3 years ago...how long do they normally last?

astidham

Quote from: MountainDon on August 27, 2010, 01:19:32 PM

Very True!
I just replaced the one in my jeep last week!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Everyone of my 4 wheeling friends with XJ Cherokees carry a spare. They are not universal, many models over the years. It lets the computer know its position so the computer can tell the ignition and fuel system what and when to do. It's the only engine thing, other than belts, hoses and spark plugs that I have had to change since 1999. I have number five in the spares box; been there about a year, maybe 2. It's easiest to change with a very long socket extension and a flex socket, going in from the left rear side of the transmission. I forget the bolt size, but also have a couple spares. Experience counts for something.  ;D

As for heat these things always run hot, normal is 210, IIRC. An engine that runs hotter does get better fuel efficiency, but the stock XJ cooling system runs real close to too hot. There are many after market high performance radiators that will allow for cooler running; comforting if you 4 wheel in the heat of the SW desert.

Flowcooler makes a water pump that has double the flow at low speed. They make the high performance pumps for many engines. And someone, I forget who, makes a low restriction high flow thermostat housing and thermostat.

The heat is another reason I only run Mobil One synthetic oil.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on August 27, 2010, 02:12:49 PM
Everyone of my 4 wheeling friends with XJ Cherokees carry a spare. They are not universal, many models over the years. It lets the computer know its position so the computer can tell the ignition and fuel system what and when to do. It's the only engine thing, other than belts, hoses and spark plugs that I have had to change since 1999. I have number five in the spares box; been there about a year, maybe 2. It's easiest to change with a very long socket extension and a flex socket, going in from the left rear side of the transmission. I forget the bolt size, but also have a couple spares. Experience counts for something.  ;D

As for heat these things always run hot, normal is 210, IIRC. An engine that runs hotter does get better fuel efficiency, but the stock XJ cooling system runs real close to too hot. There are many after market high performance radiators that will allow for cooler running; comforting if you 4 wheel in the heat of the SW desert.

Flowcooler makes a water pump that has double the flow at low speed. They make the high performance pumps for many engines. And someone, I forget who, makes a low restriction high flow thermostat housing and thermostat.

The heat is another reason I only run Mobil One synthetic oil.

I'll have to get a new CPS and put it in the kit then -- didn't realize they were that bad.

I've replace the Radiator with a 3 core all steel unit (last year) along with the water pump, fan clutch and fan relay so the cooling system should be up to snuff for my uses.  Of course, new they aren't great but at least with the 3 core it ought to be a bit better then stock.

I've also replaced all ignition components (twice now) and installed Banks Header, Flowmasters, new Cat, T Body spacer and intake with K&N and much much more...so the jeep has been good.

In this case it still tries to start, even jumps like it's going to now and then but simply won't fire.

They will check it out this afternoon and I've asked that they check the CPS while at it -- luckily the shop owner is a Jeep guy :)

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2010, 02:33:51 PM

In this case it still tries to start, even jumps like it's going to now and then but simply won't fire.

Sure sounds like mine when the sensor goes south. If a person is really lucky it'll start back up after scaring the bejeebers out of ya'. But it is a warning best heeded with speedy replacement.  I buy mine from rockauto.com... Much better price than anyone local.

The connecting wire has got shorter and shorter over the years. The last one is about as short as it can get.  Talk about pinching pennies.

I can't understand why they give so much trouble on this engine.   ???

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on August 27, 2010, 02:42:13 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2010, 02:33:51 PM

Sure sounds like mine when the sensor goes south. If a person is really lucky it'll start back up after scaring the bejeebers out of ya'. But it is a warning best heeded with speedy replacement.  I buy mine from rockauto.com... Much better price than anyone local.

The connecting wire has got shorter and shorter over the years. The last one is about as short as it can get.  Talk about pinching pennies.

I can't understand why they give so much trouble on this engine.   ???

So it will crank but not start but sometimes almost start?  Spit once or twice?

I haven't heard from them yet but hope to soon -- I'll call the shop before close if they don't respond but it's about two hours from me :(

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2010, 04:57:38 PM

Yep. Sometimes it just won't quite go. Or start and run rough with little response to the throttle.

In the past I've had it stop dead in it's tracks on a 4wd trail, middle of nowheres, UT.  Thank goodness by then I knew enough to carry a spare. Also thank goodness it was on a flat and level, non rocky section.

Another time it would not respond well to the throttle, it would spit and sputter and only slowly rev up. Then magically it was okay, until it acted up again a day later.

I've also had it start and run rough and then even out and be okay, only to go back into the cough and sputter, no power thing and then be completely fine for a week or more.

We once were out in the boonies here when a friend's XJ quit dead after sputtering. My part had a different connector than his. He recalled hearing something about unplugging the computer connections and letting it sit for a minute and then reconnecting. That worked well enough to let us drive back to town. He did replace the sensor later though. I've never tried that disconnect/reconnect thing myself though.

I've only had to replace it once on the trail, once in the campground the next morning. The other times I've replaced it at home because it was giving indications of trouble.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on August 27, 2010, 05:41:06 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2010, 04:57:38 PM

Yep. Sometimes it just won't quite go. Or start and run rough with little response to the throttle.

In the past I've had it stop dead in it's tracks on a 4wd trail, middle of nowheres, UT.  Thank goodness by then I knew enough to carry a spare. Also thank goodness it was on a flat and level, non rocky section.

Another time it would not respond well to the throttle, it would spit and sputter and only slowly rev up. Then magically it was okay, until it acted up again a day later.

I've also had it start and run rough and then even out and be okay, only to go back into the cough and sputter, no power thing and then be completely fine for a week or more.

We once were out in the boonies here when a friend's XJ quit dead after sputtering. My part had a different connector than his. He recalled hearing something about unplugging the computer connections and letting it sit for a minute and then reconnecting. That worked well enough to let us drive back to town. He did replace the sensor later though. I've never tried that disconnect/reconnect thing myself though.

I've only had to replace it once on the trail, once in the campground the next morning. The other times I've replaced it at home because it was giving indications of trouble.

Thanks Don!  I'll be ordering a spare shortly then!

Still haven't heard from the shop -- and I'm getting impatient.

OlJarhead

Nope :(

We bought the CPS at Schucks/O'Reilly's and headed out.  Got the old one out and found we got the wrong one from Shucks.  Went to nearest Shucks and they didn't have one either.  Went to Autozone - nope but one 20 miles away.  Went and got the RIGHT part.

Got back, replaced CPS -- won't start. :(

Drove home in defeat.

MountainDon

Uh-oh!   >:( >:(  It was a good shot; keep for spare.     ???

Do you have a fuel pressure tester? Can you hear the pump run for a few seconds when the key is turned to 'on'? Do you have a code reader?

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on August 29, 2010, 10:23:10 PM
Uh-oh!   >:( >:(  It was a good shot; keep for spare.     ???

Do you have a fuel pressure tester? Can you hear the pump run for a few seconds when the key is turned to 'on'? Do you have a code reader?

Pump comes on, no codes on the reader, smell fuel when it cranks...no idea at this point.

probably something stupid and I left it at the shop so they can fix it :(

OlJarhead

Labor day is coming up :(  It's usually a weekend we go camping on, or in this case a weekend to work on the Cabin but the Jeep is STILL in the shop :(

The mechanic called earlier and told me he found no spark at the plugs and thought the coil might be bad but wasn't sure -- he wanted to swap it out to see (sorta lame).  It's a new coil so if it's bad then something made it go bad.

He also told me that he could only get 30psi on #2 during a compression test.  All other cylinders were fine (around 130) so I might have a stuck valve.

It's been more then a week and I'm starting to lose it -- not having my trusty steed is a bummer.

So, I'll continue to try to work on making furniture (started today) and pine away for the open road again.

TheWire

Bummer about your continued Jeep delays.  Even though its a lot of work, I enjoy heading up to the cabin, maybe to the point of addiction d*  So its a big deal for a lot of us here when unforeseen circumstances cut into our cabin time.

OlJarhead

Quote from: TheWire on September 02, 2010, 08:53:14 PM
Bummer about your continued Jeep delays.  Even though its a lot of work, I enjoy heading up to the cabin, maybe to the point of addiction d*  So its a big deal for a lot of us here when unforeseen circumstances cut into our cabin time.

AMEN!

However, the good news:  I HAVE THE JEEP BACK! :D

The shop is the worst (Denny's Pit Stop in Ephrata WA) and after I told him to pull the plugs and check for spark he admitted there wasn't one -- I explained to him -- yes, that's right I explained to the so called mechanic -- that it takes only three things to make an engine run:  air, fuel and ignition.  It's the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid).  So after he begrudgingly checked for spark, found none and replaced the coil (because he thought it might be that) it fired right up.  Then promptly told me I needed to rebuild the head and it would cost me about $900-$1000 to do so.

I told him no thanks and I'd be there in two hours to get my jeep.  $200 later (and shorter since he charged me for 'diagnosing' the problem -- ya right) I was out the door and heading home but not before telling him that I should be charging him since I analyzed the problem and told him what to fix.  Amazing.

Anyway, drove the 100 miles home and the Jeep ran just fine.  I might need some head work but I might not -- it certainly ran fine at 75 on the interstate and during heavy throttle use when passing.

Now I can salvage the weekend somewhat :)  Won't make it to the cabin mind you, but will work on some other cabin stuff.

Already I've cut some tenons and when trying to drill 1 1/2" holes for the tenons (in a round) I realized I need a 'real' drill so my wife and I ran out and bought a big Rigid 9AM monster and a planer :)  Stoked now!

So, all is well as ends well eh?

MountainDon

Glad to hear your XJ runs again. Too bad it was such a needlessly long ordeal.   I think it's rather odd for coils to go bad with such rapidity these days.   ??? ???

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on September 03, 2010, 11:50:45 PM
Glad to hear your XJ runs again. Too bad it was such a needlessly long ordeal.   I think it's rather odd for coils to go bad with such rapidity these days.   ??? ???

My thinking is that the short I have in the system is causing the problem.  I've ignored it as 'inconvenient' with the intent of fixing it 'someday' because I've poured all my energy into the cabin project...oops.

So, now I must find out why my flasher constantly tics at me (as if the blinker is on) and why my stereo quit.  Then I need to check the compression myself and see what I find.  Seems very odd that a stuck valve would allow me to run down the hiway at speed for so long -- perhaps a sticking valve might as it may loosen and tighten with changes in temps.  If there is a sticking valve I might try some MMO (Mystery Magic Oil) to get rid of varnish etc in hope that it will hold me over until the new year.

I could pull the head myself and rebuild it (it wouldn't be the first head I rebuilt!) but right now I'd like it to wait until March!  HAHA  d* :o  My website sponsors renew at different times and in March my 2nd largest renews so I'd have the funds to have someone do a complete top end rebuild (new valves, guides, seals, springs etc) rather then having to do it myself.  Why not do it myself?  Have you ever pulled the header off and put it back on!? hahaha  It is the worst job and I hate doing it and rarely get the darn exhuast manifold gasket to seal  d*

Anyway, here's hoping I can get the XJ to hang in there for a few more months!  I think it's been hanging in for a while and they are tough buggers.

OlJarhead

My son mounted the router on the logman tenon cutter (note to self, check the way he's mounting it before letting the holes be drilled).

The setup works though :)

We mounted it via clamp to an old reloading desk and cut some tenons.

We're still perfecting the tenon cutting process but they work.

I freehand cut some holes in this round to test fit the tenons and see how hard it is to make a small table.
The round was way too small and freehand drilling 3 holes equidistant with limited measuring tools (I used a string and pencil) doesn't provide very well angled holes or legs.

So, with the rounds too small I devised a plan to rough cut two rounds so they can be fit together -- I cut them with a sawzal.  Then drill two small (1") holes and use the logman to make two small 1" dowels to fit in the holes.  This allowed me to join the two rounds.  Then drill holes, cut tenons in legs and the result:

Drilled both 2" and 1 1/2" test holes.  With my new Rigid 9am drill it was easy!

Also, before fitting the rounds together I ran them through my new plane

It worked like a charm!

OlJarhead

Well I bit the bullet on an $1120 top end rebuild on the Road Warrior today.  The old Jeep has 212,000 miles on it and has been missing on either 1 or 2 (2 lately) off and on for about a year.  I originally thought I had an injector problem (after fixing a cracked header and replacing all ignition components) but recent events proved otherwise.

So I took the XJ into Autoworks in Kennewick WA where Jeff and Tina Bouvier operate.  They run a shop that is well known for their excellent quality and honesty.  Someone I know who set up Robby Gordon's car for road courses several years ago takes his stuff there -- nuff said eh?

Anyway, Jeff called me and advised that #2 was indeed sticking and after a compression test and wet test he's convinced the bottom end is fine but the top end needs an overhaul.  He's going to yank the head, clean it up, dissemble it, magnaflux it (for cracks) and machine it and rebuild it with new valves and springs and if any rods are bent he'll replace those too.

Sadly that's $1100 away from the cabin project but I need to be able to get there and back reliably.

Then I have to take the jeep into Les Swab as I've got a break dragging in the rear and I have their breaks and lifetime warranty.  With luck I'll have the XJ back on the road next week and be pulling a trailer up to the cabin on our way to get it ready for the winter and hunting season :)

OlJarhead

Got word yesterday that the compression overall on the XJ was quite good at 160lbs average (156-165) except #2 which was 52 psi until a wet test which brought it up to 61psi -- indicating the rings are good but the valve isn't sealing.

So, with luck maybe I'll have it back for the weekend!  I hope so, but then I have to get the breaks done and finally, maybe tuesday next week, I'll head back to the cabin and get back to work.

Also visited my back cracker today :D  Got the tweak in my back and neck taken care of so now I should be back on the roof and finishing off the remaining exterior things before the snows come!  Exiting

OlJarhead

No joy yet :(

The Jeep won't be ready until Monday now because the timing is slightly off -- the mechanic things it's because the timing chain is stretched (happens when you've got over 200,000 miles on it) and the dizzy needs to get modded slightly to allow them to correct the timing. 

I thought about replacing the timing chain but since I'm not working and he thinks it'll likely be ok for a year or more I'll take a chance and leave it -- the $300 or so to replace it is something I'd rather not spend since it wasn't budgeted.  None of this was mind you and we're pushing $1500 now.

Anyway, I can do it next year me thinks -- right along with the T-Case which is slipping under load in 4 wheel drive.

OlJarhead

While I wait to get my Jeep back and because of a recent conversation with a board member here I thought I'd post some pictures of my other project :)  A garden that spans one 20x20 spot, a 4x16 spot and a 4x4 spot in our back yard as well as a crab apple tree I planted to make my wife her favorite thing:  Crab Apple Butter :)

In 2007 I was beginning to worry about the economy and having lived through some depressed economies (local) in the last 20 odd years I've learned that it's best to be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.  At the same time my wife and I have been changing our eating habits to more natural foods in a drive to live healthier (and perhaps longer) lives.

So we started with removing a tree from behind our shed and some arborvitaes and made a garden.

The tree, a birch, was dying of some beetle attack and the yard was in need of work anyway, so it came out and some off the arborvitaes were removed as well.  The year prior I'd actually started a smaller garden in a 4x4 section behind the house and a 4x16 section along the shed so this was really just an addition to those -- a big one!

My first plants were peppers because I wanted to make some Atomic Mushrooms (you have to try them!) and so that first year I learned a lot because of my desire to grow peppers -- this is a lesson to anyone who wants to do this:  if you are excited by what you are doing, you will likely learn a ton!  Those were the hottest cayenne's I've ever had!  But then maybe because they were grown right next to these guys:
The Habanero's have amazing flavor but OH BOY are they hot! :D

One thing we've done this year is to plant over a span of time rather then all at once.  This means I have corn still growing, carrots, rutabaga and parsnip as well as beans and tomatoes and of course peppers :)

Our new crab apple tree produced 13 crab apples this year :)  (actually I found a 14th that our dog was eating so I didn't count it) and I was able to make Crab Apple butter for my wife (though I had to buy 5lbs of apples to augment the sparse crop of crabbies.