Question about Presidential Address

Started by r8ingbull, February 24, 2009, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r8ingbull

Something I have wondered since I was a kid...Why do all 4 major TV networks play the presidential address?  Are they required too?  Honestly wouldn't one of the networks be better off to play some/anything else?  I can't stand watching the crap speeches these guys give. 

It''s not like I can't get online and get the speech info in like 2 minutes anyway, and Obama certainly isn't going to change my opinion about his porkulis bailout bills.  I would actually rather watch 'American Idol'...

StinkerBell

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20500

Hope this helps  ;D, this way you do not have to turn on the TV heh

glenn kangiser

That was deep, Stink.  d*

When did we elect a president? -- a very long time ago as I recall.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 24, 2009, 11:44:50 PM

When did we elect a president? -- a very long time ago as I recall.

Candidates are chosen for us.  Therefore voting is irrelevant.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

muldoon

Americans have the government they deserve.   As long the public is busy watching American idol it will continue. 

want to say more .. much more ... but I'll stop here. 

peternap

Quote from: muldoon on February 25, 2009, 05:15:48 PM
Americans have the government they deserve.   As long the public is busy watching American idol it will continue. 

Patience Muldoon...Patience  ;D

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

wildbil

Quote from: muldoon on February 25, 2009, 05:15:48 PM

If you read the brilliant "Big Brother" books(1984, 451, Brave New World) you'll notice that one underlying theme is that the government HAS to keep people constantly occupied, and isolated. What I realize(especially mine and younger generation of people):

1. everyone had either MP3s drowning out the world/ hypnotized by virtual reality(Video games, Warcraft)/ or is so occupied by their favorite show.

2. Never before have Americans had less friends than they do now. And gone are the days of a tight knit family.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

cordwood

Which network would carry it? I don't get all the networks. With beaming satellite feeds surely there was something/anything else on one of the hundreds of other mind zapping hypnotizing box frequencies?!?!?! ;)
I don't like the fact that they take ALL the stations I can get either but I don't like being stuck with Basketball either so I got a Library Card! c*
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Sassy

Here's a good link to lots of old movies & all sorts of documentaries...  I just watched "Manchurian Candidate" last night.

http://wideeyecinema.com/?p=533
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free