16x28 Victoria's Cottage

Started by Charlie, May 02, 2006, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie

We started this cottage in late 2005 and then got shut down by unusually heavy rains in Northern California (Mendocino County). The weather is now beautiful and we plan to start banging nails again soon. We deleted the bedroom and moved the front door. All else is close to the original plans.

Charlie

glenn-k

Nice area and pix, Charlie-- hope you don't mind I added IMG tags to the jpeg's so they would display here.

Yetanothermike

Looking good.  I'm getting ready to build in the next county over from you (Lake County).  Did you do your own foundation or hire someone?

-Mike

Jimmy_Cason

Looks good Charlie. Great use of the CAT!

keyholefarmhouse

I like what we see so far.  I have considered building three different plans and have decided on the Victoria.  My modifications also include shagging the bedroom wing.  It's nice to see it in a real life version.  Why don't you take about 5 million pictures and post them?  :) :) :)

Charlie

Mike, I did the foundation myself (with help from some younger folks). I would not do it again. Everyone I sought advice from had a different opinion so ultimately I just went for it and combined the shallow piers, spaced as shown on the plans as Post & Pier, tied together with 12" wide grade beams about 6" deep which I hope will add some footing strength.

It took me a lot of weekend trips to the site to get ready to pour and it would have taken a pro a couple of days max, including the excavation. In hindsight I think I'd have been better off just hiring out the foundation and getting an earlier start on the cabin framing. Another lesson learned: get help on pour day. I thought I could handle keeping up with the pumper by myself and although it all came out OK it was a one-man full court press. I poured retaining wall posts and then piers for a tent platform at the same time. There was not time to get the retaining wall posts perfectly aligned so I had to to shim things up later. If I had run into a snag, like a blown out form or something, I would not have been able to handle it.

That 3d ridge in the picture with the excavator is in upper Lake County.  Good luck over there...

Charlie

water8

I love the big tree sheltering the house - and the pond.  Gorgeous site!

peg_688

I thought I could handle keeping up with the pumper by myself and although it all came out OK it was a one-man full court press.

[size=12]

Charlie  :o :o You animal :o :o How many yards did you pour???

[/size]  

If I had run into a snag, like a blown out form or something, I would not have been able to handle it.

[size=12]

Whats that old saying , Ah , God protects childern and ah humm , Glad your forms held  ;)

[/size]  

[size=12]  

A note to others Charlie use 2x materials for his forms which I'd guess he reused some where else in the project,

with 2 by wedge ties . These same type of ties are avaiable for use with 1x6/8.

This is  a old system for foundations that uses/used the boards again as skip sheathing on the roof , many 50's house did just this .

For a one time user/ cabin builder it would be a cost effective way to form up and re-use the boards for sheathing the roof [highlight]if [/highlight] your going to use a metal roof , or wood shakes / wood shingles that work with skip sheathing.

Just a thought / money saving idea.  The picture shown on Simpson site is of 2 by ties but 1 by ones are avaiable,

Installation:

Use two 3 1/2" long wedges for each tie.
Not recommended for wall pours greater than 4' high.
Wall thickness from 6" to 12".
Request technical bulletin T-WT04 for recommended spacing.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/WT.html#gallery

Generally you can borrrow the re-uasable wedges from the concrete batch plant , of course the ties them self , except the top row , stay in the foundation. I've used these many time on small remodeling jobs when the foundation sub was not avaiable or just cuz I wanted to pour my own foundation  ;)

Either way the wedges are not very expensive if you have to buy them.

Good luck , PEG  

[/size]