our S.E. TX story and a half

Started by CjAl, September 26, 2011, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CjAl

Quote from: MountainDon on July 12, 2012, 06:40:29 PM
Are you building the beams in place, on the piers where they will sit? Easier that way.....
yes i am but even just a single 2x12x16 pressure treated is hard to manage by myself without wearing myself right out.

CjAl

i had wanted to get started on building the deck last weekend but it rained about 5" a day each day i was home this weekend. the extended ten day forcast showes rain every day. perhaps i should have built an ark instead

CjAl

question:

do tye rim joists simply get nailed into the endgrain of the joists?

CjAl

it was 100 degrees outside today. work was a lot slower than i would have liked.

child labor is great

my wife is the best. shes a tough one, then again she was raised here in this heat. i am a wimpy yankee

CjAl

been working with just my son so far today. lisa gets off work in a few minutes and will head out.  knocked out a good bit of floor joists before i decided to hide in the semi truck and soak up the air conditioning. i may just sneak in a mid day nap untill it drops below 100.

CjAl

CjAl

this is a lake community so there is people driving buy in golf carts all day watching us build. i noticed that there is 3 in perticular who come by all the time. i realized that every time theydrove by i was sitting in a chair kicked back with my feet up watching my wife work. probably not a great first impression

dablack

HA!  That is funny.  I don't know how I would feel about people watching me build.  One thing I like about our spot is no one can see us in the summer (not even from the road), and only one house can see us in the winter.  My 9 year old helps a bunch and the wife is there is help lift walls but I do take lots of breaks where I retire to the AC in the camper.  IT IS HOT OUT THERE!

Austin

dablack

Also, looks like you have been shopping at the home depot.  I have the same box of nails and same compressor.  HA!

CjAl

as a matter of fact i almost never go to home depot. the closest one is lufkin about an hour away. but i did get that compressor there. it was on sale for like $90 last year, i couldnt resist. it doesnt keep up with the nail gun though.

i usually buy from parkers here intown. its five miles from the land and they are almost always cheaper then lowes. today i picked up 12 sheets of subfloor, parkers only carries advantec which i know is great stuff but it is $26 per sheet. the osb trufloor lowes carries is $17. plus parkers is closed sundays. i drove to lowes and got 12 because its as much as i want to haul in my suburban at one time. it needs tires bad. i just got home a few minutes ago and looked at the reciept and they only charged me for four sheets. now thats a discount!  if only it would happen tomarrow when i go back for the other ten sheets

CjAl

floor is done. just have to rip down a few 2" pieces of subfloor for the outer edge.

dablack

Been almost a month since your last post.  Here pretty soon we will have some cooler weather.  That should be about the time I'm working inside.....figures.  When are the walls going to be up?

CjAl

i have had a bad month. had to put new tires on my suburban and work.isnt what it should be. i.am looking for someplace else to lease my truck on to. i am thinking of going into oversize and super load trucking.

started walls today but i am sick as a dog, didnt get much done.

CjAl

you see my little msg to the city. our lake community turned itself into a city but.its the most disorganized bunch of yahoo's you will ever see. they left me a stop work order for no permit. i have the permit but they lost all the paperwork. buncha idiots, as you see i didnt stop. they also have no way to inforce anything

Barry Broome

What is the last word on your message to the city? I can't make it out  ???
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

OzarkBrandon

Any permit work I have done required a copy of the permit to be displayed on site.  That may not be the case in your location, but displaying a laminated copy at the work site may deliver better results than your current message.  Totally get your frustration though...

CjAl

the last word is records. everyone in the community hates the city. all the neighbors thought it was funny. personally i wouldnt have done it, my wife did. we made new friends though from everyone stopping by to tell us their horror stories with the city. lol
  the permit is a joke. there is a permit number but no rules or.anything. it doesnt have to be displayed but it could be. it also has no experation or anything listed but yet they are trying to say it needed to be dried in within 180 days. i barely started the pier work by then

dablack

I'm a very organized person (or like to think I am) and would end up having a big problem dealing with a group like that.  Sorry you are so sick and having trouble with work (or lack there of).   

Austin

CjAl

i havent given up on my cabin. i have had some huge financial setbacks. i am sick of trucking and the ups and downs (mostly downs) so i have put my truck up for sale. if it sells i hope to have enough left over to dry in the cabin. it still sits as last pictured but much more weathered.

my house is being forclosed on at the end of the month so i just went home and moved all my belongings out to the cabins property. i picked up an old but very nice motorhome for $3k so we will be living on site. i will be getting the build back on track very shortly. the motorhome is a 78 pace arrow 28'. it has a 6.5kw generator and everything works, good roof and two brand new air conditioners. we are working on getting power put in now.

here is the old rv

it was a ton of fun moving my 18x24' carport out to the property

dablack

CjAl,

I'm sorry about your troubles.  When one door shuts.........

Austin

CjAl

the last two years have been a very trying time. all i can do is.put my head down and.keep walking into the storm. eventually you have to come out the other side.

CjAl

we are now living here full time. today i got the front wall stood up. bit off a bit more then i could chew. the back wall i built in two parts and it went up with the two of us no problem. the front wall i compleately built and we couldnt budge it. two hours, lots of blocking, a tractor jack and a jeep with a winch and we got it up (almost lost it back over the other side)

and while i worked Lisa played

waterbug

CjAl,

I'm sorry to hear about your setbacks.

It is good to see that you and your family are working on your place again.  Hang in there - as you said if you keep pushing forward you will eventually prevail.

CjAl

I am oficially unemployed. The truck and trailer are gone and i am looking for a job. I applied for a cdl delivery driver at the local lowes. Doesnt pay anything but i need health insurance and hopefully i can get some decent discounts if they hire me. Had one interview today and have a second tomorrow.

I had ebough money when i quit trucking that i was able to buy some lumber. I now have all the exterior walls framed except where i need to buy some 2x12 for headers over the bump outs. If i get this job i will buy some loft floor joists and get them in so i can start the rafters.

Has anyone else noticed the increase in lumber prices? I swear my end walls cost more to build then the front and back.

Anyways here is where we are at.

dablack

Good job on moving forward.  Look ahead.  That is pretty much all you can do.