Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianand

The Pool looks great, must be brilliant to just go and cool off when ever you want.... [cool]

glenn kangiser

Thanks brianand.  I have to give my wife credit for motivating me with her left foot.  She's left footed. d* 

It is kind of nice on a hot day to jump in and let it suck the heat out of you for a while.

Home Depot had the fencing in 6 x 16' lengths fairly reasonable, Sassy said.  Light duty but changes the space quickly.

Since it is lightly compacted fill with rocks I drove steel fence posts where I wanted then made the 2x4 frame to support and brace the fence.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Fire on the mountain.

I am currently standing in the yard of my prospecting buddy, Keith about a mile east of the underground complex with our 3 dogs and cat.  Sassy is working. 

The Telegraph Fire came within 2 miles of the underground complex. The wind shifted and brought it up our valley.  (He firefighters held it off at the gap so far.  Currently 16000 acres.

All authorities IHave had contact with have been great. No power trip problems. :)

Posted via Blackberry - All OK so far.

What a great excuse for a remodel if need be. GK d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Did you or where you able to cut any fire line around the place with the bobcat , or is that either illegal or impossible?

Good luck buddy!!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Bobcat is broke but did pretty good earlier plus all my excavating dirt.

-t changed too fast to do more than grab the animals and computers and truck and make sure all of the neighbors got out OK

All is well at this time - they knocked it down for now.

Here's hoping all the people fighting this monster get out alive.  This is my prospecting area- I know it well...It's treacherous, rough, steep and dangerous.  Pix when I can. 

Redoverfarm

Back here on the East Cost they were reporting that the last fire in that area was in 1987.  Also said that they think it started from people target practicing.  Glenn you weren't plinking around were you?   Hope it stays far enough away that you are not in any real danger. 

John Raabe

It's cool and raining lightly here on Whidbey island - no wind.

Wish I could send a few of these helpful clouds down there...
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

No rain here yet , feels like it's coming.

I'm not liking this long silence out of Glenn , bump this with a update eh Glenn! Hope all is well or at least some what OK! Check in please. 

John Raabe

gandalfthegrey

you can get an update at :  http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#

If you have Google Earth  select download KMZ file near bottom right of page.

Keep the faith Sassy and Glenn.

John (Gandalfthegrey) Knickerbocker
Bad Wolf

harry51

Hello all,

I spoke with Glenn early this morning, and he's tired but otherwise ok after a 22 hour stint of equipment repair, brush clearing, and general fire prevention. He's cut down dozens of his trees, cleared 3-4 acres around the house, and set sprinklers as a precaution, even though the fire has not approached closely so far.

He told me he worked his way up to the neighbor's fence, and went through to see what was needed to protect their nice new little cabin, when he encountered a fire captain. The captain immediately demanded, in a very authoritarian tone of voice "Just what do you think you're doing?" Glenn stopped the tractor and stood up, making visible the holstered .380 on his belt. He replied "Why, I'm cutting a fire break. Do you guys need any help?" The captain's tone of voice changed strangely as he said "Oh good, yes, good job, that's fine!" and went on about his business. Exactly what inspired that instantaneous attitude adjustment remains a matter for speculation, but we have our theories...........

Our place is up the ridge from Glenn and Sassy's, separated by the cabin mentioned above. Apparently it was used as an operations base to backfire the mountain above to stop the fire's progress toward town. This leaves us somewhat optimistic about our losses. Time will tell..........

I wrote a long and detailed account of our experiences of the last several days as related to the fire, and as I was making some small changes, the reply window suddenly defaulted into overtype mode. Ie no idea what caused that to happen, but I never, ever use overtype mode and if someone would tell me how to avoid similar problems in the future, I would be grateful. I lost the whole thing in the process of trying to get rid of overtype before I could finish and post, so this will be it for now.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

John Raabe

Harry:

Thanks very much for the update on the area there where you and Glenn are.

RE: losing your work on a long forum post - there are two things that I've learned that might help
• Post and then edit (modify). You can save and then overwrite different versions of the same post. Saving often will keep something online that is close to what you want.
• Write in a program on your computer that autosaves and then paste the text into the forum post when done.

Here's what I heard from Glenn this (Monday) morning:

"First time online since the start of the fire.  Worked 22 hours yesterday clearing grass and brush with my John Deere tracklayer (after 2 hours sleep the night before in the front seat of my truck).  I am fine. Got most of what I can do done -- all set up - watching - the fire is about 1/2 to 1 mile away. I'll check later and if time I will show up at the forum."

harry51

Thanks, John. I'll put your good advice to use next time I post!
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

Can't read the posts now - gotta check the fire - OK for now.  Glenn

glenn kangiser

No target practice for me there, John.  26000 acres and growing.  I'm the only one around with power from what I understand.  Wish I was on the grid as solar is not reliable enough - a joke for the wise s county building department lady.  If I won't take care of myself the state will take care of me per her - I must hook to the grid.  I hope her freezer full of steaks is rotting - mine are good so far. - no power outage for me.  Water is pumping to my tank as soon as it appears in the well via the pump safety device.

I have hoses strung all over to critical areas.

They ran me out of here Saturday afternoon - I made sure the neighbor ladies got out OK as both of their husbands were out of town - then rather than go through the road block and being permanently banished from the underground complex, I stopped at my prospecting buddy's place to think it over.  He went to town to his in laws and I stayed at his place with my animals after he took me back up to get my truck.  We took the jeep in case I had to take the neighbor ladies out but I was lost with out my truck so he took me back to get it. 

3 dogs and a cat somewhere in the Jeep

I let Suzy and Spike run into town for some Emergency Dog Biscuits.  She is very smart.

The Sheriff had previously forced us to drive out in front of him.  I later learned that they imply you must go but if you know your rights you can refuse.

About 2 AM I went to sleep until 4 AM.  I woke up and thought of something Peternap said.  "The ones with the lead control the gold."  Seemed that would control who stayed and went too and I knew I could secure my place much better.  It felt like I was in prison and that wasn't cutting it.  I felt forced to rely on the state - a position I decided not to accept.  Enter "Super hero" who doesn't give a shit about authority and decided no matter what he would do as he pleased.  :o

A fireman I got a dog from a couple years ago wa checking on me today.  I told him I had my own power and water - cleared the hill and felt safe.  He toured our house a couple years ago.  He said " Knowing you I wouldn't expect any less."  I always check unknown vehicles arriving etc with the Mossberg on my shoulder.  we did have a looter running around up here Saturday.  Little doper trash and his girlfriend on a motorcycle thing we were already evacuated.   They got away but the police were keeping an eye out for them.

So 4 am - I went up the hill right past the sleeping fire captain guarding my road.  Straight to the weapons cache at the underground complex.  I loaded 8 rounds into the Mossberg 12 guage shotgun and the .380 holds 13 rounds.  I set the safety on the 12 guage, put a strap on it and wore it or kept it nearby as I worked and made my rounds.  All of the Fire people were real nice and never bothered asking me to leave. 

I acted like a semi-normal person - (but one with 2 guns) and showed them around - showed them the pool for water and the cabin.  The only one with an attitude was the one Harry told you about but as Harry said -- he got friendly fast.  The second group asked for a tour and they were totally amazed.  I told them I felt I still had some Constitutional rights and would do what I wanted to do.  The main one I was talking to said "Good for you, " in a way that I knew he genuinely meant it.  The guys were all great to deal with.  Attitudes seem to be for those with a bit more power.

I never did threaten any of them -- It seemed they just naturally wanted me to like them.  They were nice. ?)

About an hour later one asked me why I packed the rifle -(shotgun) did I do it all the time.  I said I haerd animals we running form the fire and I though a bear might show up.  He then asked about mountain lions of which I had seen one a few months ago.  He said he felt a lot safer with me around- at least that was the story. rofl.

Note that the intimidation and threats from them are real as another neighbor in view of my place told me they did exactly what I expected of them to him.  They threatened him with jail - etc.  They told his helper contractor he was gone - a dead out lie as he was bringing in his generator.  It seems the attitude adjusters were well within order from his story.

A fireman came back to see that I was staying and a Sheriff came to tell me he couldn't make me leave but he wished I would -- that's what I like -- a bit of honesty.  He took my name to let whoever know that I refused to leave.  He said no gurantees - I said no problem..... but then again - are there ever?

My attitude was that I would do whatever it took to show them that I was not their little subject - a ward of the state and I would do as I pleased whatever the outcome.  I'm sure they could see that and none even bothered to question it.  Their authority over me was gone.

I put the fuel pump on the dozer  - dropped the backhoe off and became a one man wrecking crew until I got to bed about 2 AM this morning - 3 hours sleep and I was up again checking things out.

Time to check fire location again.  It was being held around Harry's place yet.

glenn kangiser

The story above that John linked has some wrong math in it.  26000 acres over a square mile - true

26000 acre = 40.625 mi²
OR 40 mi² and 17424000.0 ft²

About the above - I realize that they think that they are doing it for my good, but they will not do it at the expense of my rights or property and a foot of dirt overhead should hold the fire off for a while -- maybe a bit of singed boards around the edges but I would have time to take care of that.  I have reduced the fuel around here to where it should not be a lot of a problem to take care of.

ScottA

Lots of luck genn. You're doing the right thing. We're thinking about you.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Scott.  I wanted to get in here to update you guys but 22 hours was non-stop work.  A neighbor I met the night before at Keith's about a mile away, showed up in the morning with a back pack - half gallon of ice water, refills and a asparagus quiche thing his wife made.  Said they had been thinking of me.

He said - "You didn't eat did you."   It was really great.  He then asked what he could do -- looked around and said he would take all the brush away from my water tank -- that was a big job.  Now I don't have to worry about it burning.  It was all handwork due to massive rocks.  Great neighbors.

John_C

John Raabe

Yep, this is the type of situation where you discover your real neighbors. The more self-reliant the neighborhood the more likely they will overcome the problem together.

Hang in there Glenn and keep the home fires burning... no, wait. That's NOT the right metaphor! d*

PS - The state and federal emergency folks are not used to you and the kinds of neighbors you have, Glenn. And that's completely understandable. They are trying not to have a Katrina type debacle where people who couldn't take care of themselves died. Government gets heat when it does too little and heat when it does too much. To the credit of the fellow you met on the dozer, he rather quickly recognized you were part of the solution and not part of the problem.

You're all doing a great job down there and I hope everyone stays safe #1, and #2 lets hope not many structures are lost and lives turned upside down. But number one is number one. Both you and the Feds should agree on that. So stay safe and don't get too exhausted. Even a smart guy can do something stupid when pushed past his limits.

PEG688

Thanks for the update Glenn , good  luck!

John , that very rational of you about the Govt. / FEMA etc. Pretty much right IMO the blame game is all to common today.

John Raabe

I've been trying to locate Glenn's place on Google Earth. Here is what I think is right.

Of course, if this is the right place the picture is still a year or so old. (My house has pictures of a car in the driveway we no longer own.)
Probably, in the not too distant future we will have something closer to live satellite feed.

TBA

My thoughts and other things are with you Glenn and Sassy. We were in the same situation a few years ago and it's a very difficult and exhaustive place to be.

Wish there was some way I could help.

Good luck.

considerations

It's amazing that you can keep the communications open.  I'm glad, I have come to enjoy your wry observations.  Keep us posted if you can.

glenn kangiser

I thought rye was whiskey, Considerations. d*

Thanks, TBA.  The wife and children want to also - but no way will they let them in.

I have my own electricity and the phone with DSL is the only outside line.  If the grid goes down it's down - many are or were out of power here.  If my power goes down I will know why.  Communications remain open for me.

You got the right place this time John.  That pix still has the motor home where the garden went in last year.  I made one last effort tonight - grabbed the chainsaw, tore down the fence and cleared out about 50 feet of trees below and to the left of the cabin and around the chicken pen.  So tonight I saved the chickens.

Praise the lord.  :)

Previously they would probably have been sacrificed. 

I fell the trees yesterday but the John Deere transmisson was slipping.  I checked and it was low on oil again.  I assume because I have been running it as steep  as it will go many times -- 40% grades and more sometimes if I get up on a rock or something.  Nearly tipped it over yesterday but I leaned to the high side and carefully lowered the bucket and it settled back down.  Nothing like riding your dozer like a bicycle, eh? rofl

I made a roll of trees and limbs about 6 feet in diameter and 40 feet long and pushed it down the hill -- more defensible space (fireman talk for get off your s and clear the frikken brush around your place).

A fireman dropped by tonight and thought the place was easily defended if the need came.

I put the new fuel injection pump on the John Deere yesterday morning.  It has enough fuel now to when you open the throttle it belches black smoke like a freight train.  The fire truck showed up tonight because they saw smoke and I said - Oh just the John Deere.  They were glad that is all it was - I told them I just pushed them aout an new road and moved the trees.  The Captain introduced himself - I forgot to introduce my self -but that just adds to the mystery.  It seems they already knew my story.  I'm sure the crazy guy on the hill with the dozer and the guns is known by now.

All except the one who changed his attitude quickly have been very nice.  No problems once they knew I intended to stay and get things as ready as I can.  I would guess if you asked me I would say what I have done would normally take me a month.

My new friend that cleared around my water tank and his wife were worried about me so they came up to check on me and brought me a quart of Trappist ale.  I'm sucking it down now.  Soon it will be sleepy time.  Konings Hoeven Dubbel - Netherlands.  What a great new neighbor.

People all pull together up here in the mountains.

I'm still doing well,  PEG.  Too dang ornery to be otherwise.

Did I mention I fell off the roof yesterday? hmm  No ?--that had to look stupid.

I was up on the patio roof above the steam engine.  I forgot that the last foot was unsupported when going to remove leaves and acorns that would catch fire and burn the RV garage down. 

I stepped out on that corrugated tin and it started folding.  I made 3 or 4 quick steps in succession and it just kept folding for about 3 feet.   

I looked like Jesus walking on water--- except it finally decided to quit holding me and I tumbled to the ground.  Luckily it was only a short roof - only 8 feet so after crashing through the deer gate and tearing it up, I only got a sprained ankle and a few other aches and pains -- nothing 600 milligrams of Motrin wouldn't cure for a bit. Stupid I say - stupid. d*