Roof Decking, how?

Started by Holicori, March 21, 2023, 01:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holicori

I am planning a 32' gooseneck Trailer (would probably be closer to a 38-40' trailer including the gooseneck area). 

I want to build a deck on top of the roof. I'm going to have a metal roof and siding. Originally I was thinking of going with a flat roof (as flat as I could), but on second thought with the deck, I think I should go with a standard style roof (slopes on both sides, high in the center). Reason is, I need some type of support for my deck. I'm not sure how to go about doing this constructionally. 

The trailer will be 13.5ft tall from the ground, so roughly about 11.5-12ft high. I don't know if they make 4x4's that tall. If so I was thinking about getting 6 or 8 long 4x4's and putting 3 or 4 of them on each side of the trailer as part of the framing of the house, but allowing them to extend through the roof somehow so I can build the deck straight onto those and just barely passing over the center top of the room. I'll then make some anchors on the side of the decks that will allow for a "drop-in" railing to set place so I can still maintain my 13.5'ft legal road height, but can reinstall the railing whenever I arrive at my destination. 

What is the best way to go about this? Is it as simple at building a 4x4 (maybe a 6x6?) into the frame, allowing it to extend past the roof, and then just sealing it all up the same way I would seal up a chimney or fan chute that protrudes through the roof? 

Am I completely off the wall in thinking this is feasible? 

MountainDon

So this is an enclosed trailer, sorta like a cargo trailer but built on a gooseneck chassis?  If so, ask the constructor how to best safely attach to the shell structure he builds.

If you mean you want to take a flat deck equipment gooseneck trailer and build a house structure on it yourself I personally would rethink that whole idea. I believe the weight would get very heavy if the entire shell was built from wood. Plus welded steel tubing is better suited to a mobile structure. (or aluminum tubing if done by a certified aluminum welder.)

Perhaps I don't fully understand the purpose and what/how you wish to do this?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Holicori

Quote from: MountainDon on March 21, 2023, 02:38:48 PMSo this is an enclosed trailer, sorta like a cargo trailer but built on a gooseneck chassis?  If so, ask the constructor how to best safely attach to the shell structure he builds.

If you mean you want to take a flat deck equipment gooseneck trailer and build a house structure on it yourself I personally would rethink that whole idea. I believe the weight would get very heavy if the entire shell was built from wood. Plus welded steel tubing is better suited to a mobile structure. (or aluminum tubing if done by a certified aluminum welder.)

Perhaps I don't fully understand the purpose and what/how you wish to do this?

It's a Tiny house on wheels (THOW). It's a pretty commonplace concept now with hundreds of gooseneck specific tiny houses available on youtube to check out. The house is built directly on the gooseneck trailer as the foundation. Several different ways to tie/secure it to the frame. I'll also be adding 3 or 4 pieces per side of all one piece all-thread that will go from below the trailer up the entire wall and mount on the top plate. 

Not so worried about the house itself, but the deck on top of the house. 

Holicori

MountainDon

OK. Had no idea it was being prebuilt.

Will it have a flat roof as made by the builder? If so ask them about using the roof as a deck? (just covering all bases as you did not indicate)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Holicori

That's the thing...I'm the builder.  I also have no construction experience and am essentially learning as I go and I'm doing all the prep I can now before I start building in about 3 months.

I was thinking about doing a "flat" roof, however thinkin about how I would make the deck, I think I might go with a traditional gable where its higher in the center. Reason being that would lower the sides of the house/trailer which would allow for the 2x4/2x6 that run the perimeter for the deck boards to attach to, to be sunk lower in hopes that I will only lose ceiling height of about 2-3 inches (just enough room for the deck boards and maybe a slight space between the top of roof and bottom of deck boards.