19 million vacant houses and we're building more?

Started by ScottA, February 03, 2009, 08:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

MountainDon

Hopefully the ones standing empty are the white elephant, oversized, McMansions and the ones under construction smaller and more efficient. I know I'm probably dreaming or smoking some of that stuff Phelps was doing.   ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

I think a a lot of them are the one's in places like Detroit where they can't sell em even for $1,000.
Home is where you make it

glenn kangiser

There is a sign near our other place where the numbers are taped on --- they keep dropping -

Tons of empties in the valley - what happened to the kids growing up needing houses? hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Squirl

Part of the psychology of the market is that it is hard for people to sell at a loss.  We studied this in school with some commodities market traders.  They will hold on to these to long, unable to sell them.  Without being lived in these houses will rot quickly. They will end up taking almost a total loss instead of a partial loss. It is times like these when the market fails.

Jens

Wall off sections, and turn them into apartment houses, just like what happened with victorians and big craftsmans, except in this case the houses aren't good places to begin with. 

My wife and I were driving through a neighborhood of million dollar houses where I was working in New Hampshire, "yup, these will be turned into the new projects when the market falls, and they all get repossessed."  This was two years ago.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!