Kodiak Alaska - Our journey building a cabin in the remote wilds of Kodiak

Started by 1akbig1bear, August 13, 2020, 10:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1akbig1bear

Hey everyone!
Last year I updated a previous post and only few viewed my photos. I was advised by staff that I would be better off putting up a new post so here goes.
My wife and purchased a small piece of paradise in Alaska's remote wilderness after falling in love with Kodiak in the early 90's. After spending 34 full days and over $50K in shipping charges alone getting materials to the site, I now have a warm place to lay my head. This cabin is 36x28 with a loft and an Arctic Entry.
I hope you enjoy the photos I have posted on Flickr, please take a look and share your comments, good or bad......simply copy and paste the below link. Click on the first photo and then you can read the caption and my comments for each photo.
Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189669532@N04/albums/72157715442185387/page1

jsahara24

Nice progress, looks like a tough place to build at but the views make it well worth it!

Danfish

Thanks for sharing...brings back memories of days on the island.

pmichelsen

Next time I start to complain about forgetting something and having to do the two hour round trip to the hardware store I'll just shut-up. REALLY amazing place, if you ever want to "cabin swap" in CA let me know  ;)

1akbig1bear

Quote from: jsahara24 on August 14, 2020, 07:51:13 AM
Nice progress, looks like a tough place to build at but the views make it well worth it!
They really do, sometimes we just get so busy working that at the end of the day when we would relax someone would start pointing out certain things about the views. If you love to hunt, fish or just sit back and enjoy the scenery then no price on earth could buy what I have, although if the price is right  ;D

1akbig1bear

Quote from: Danfish on August 14, 2020, 10:11:18 AM
Thanks for sharing...brings back memories of days on the island.
Such a great place, I have loved Kodiak since the day I stepped foot on it. Things are tough out there, especially if you can't get off "The Rock" every now and then and spend time on the mainland or lower 48.

1akbig1bear

Quote from: pmichelsen on August 14, 2020, 03:04:12 PM
Next time I start to complain about forgetting something and having to do the two hour round trip to the hardware store I'll just shut-up. REALLY amazing place, if you ever want to "cabin swap" in CA let me know  ;)
That made me laugh, let me add this story. The year I shipped my Bobcat up to the property in 2016 I had my brother (who was a Bobcat mechanic) do a thorough check and repair on the used Bobcat. He replaced all of the belts, hoses, fluids, new tracks and anything else it need knowing it probably won't see another mechanic for years. We shipped it up from Washington State and then out to my property. Less than 10 minutes into using it the alarms went off, low hydraulic fluid. When I checked I realized I didn't have any, he had forgotten to fill it after emptying the old fluid out. The good thing is that I could get a 5 gallon jug for less than $40, but there is always a bad to something good, in this case it cost $700 to have the fluid flown out to our site.
Moral to the story is be happy with a 2 hour round trip for items you forgot.
BTW, you have some beautiful property too but not thinking I want to swap for CA, LOL.

pmichelsen

Quote from: 1akbig1bear on August 14, 2020, 08:05:12 PMBTW, you have some beautiful property too but not thinking I want to swap for CA, LOL.

:) I meant for a vacation.

1akbig1bear

Quote from: pmichelsen on August 18, 2020, 10:37:12 AM
:) I meant for a vacation.
Whew! You scared the chit out of me!
Alaska is the ultimate place to be. If your really want to visit let me know and I would always open my door and welcome you.
Hope you're staying safe with all of the fires I see that are happening in Cali.
Take Care!

ChugiakTinkerer

Thanks for sharing!  It looks like there were at least half a dozen pictures showing clear blue skies.  That's the Kodiak I remember.

[cool]
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

bogisich

Great work! That seems like a difficult location to build in, but the views make it well worth it!

OlJarhead

Just checked out the latest on Flicker and it's shaping up nicely!