BTU requirement for 1 ½ story 20’ wide cabin

Started by BigMish, April 12, 2007, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I'm trying to estimate the required BTU/hour that would be required to heat the 1 ½ story 20' wide cabin if I followed the insulation as speced in the pans. I live in upstate New York and this will be a year round home.

I'm planning on using a single wood stove and a single direct-vent propane wall-furnace to heat the home and I am trying to determine what but rating they should each have.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mischa

Daddymem

Talk to Al:
http://www.alsheating.com/

We have a 24x32 1.5 story FirstDay Cottage and we heat with a Jotul woodstove and a Rinnai 1004 heater on the first floor (not from Al, but his page helped us choose).  This is 10,500 - 38,000 BTUs and it puts out plenty-probably could have gone with a lower model.

kenhill

We built a 1 1/2 20' in Alaska.  The smallest Kuma oil stove maxes at 18,000 BTU.  It keeps our cabin at 50 when it is -15 outside.  We have lots of windows that we have yet to curtain.   The problem is when we arrive up and it is 0, it takes a long time to heat all of the cabin surfaces.  We boost with a 30,000 BTU radiant propane heater to speed the process and then switch to just oil.  It burns 2.5 gal per 24 hours at 18,000BTU.